Get started with the Integration Assessment capability within SAP Integration Suite
Are you sometimes struggling with identifying the right integration technology for a specific integration scenario? This “when to use what” exercise becomes even more challenging with the rising scope of integration requirements and technologies. In such cases the Integration Assessment capability within SAP Integration Suite may guide you to the right integration technology for your needs.
What Integration Assessment is all about?
Integration Assessment can help you to define, execute and document an integration technology strategy for your organization based on SAP Integration Solution Advisory Methodology (ISA-M). It includes SAP’s recommendations as ready to use content for a turnkey start which you also can adapt according to your requirements (e.g. to cover Non-SAP integration technologies). Once an integration architect has defined and documented the integration strategy, Integration Assessment allows integration developers to assess interface requests issued by lines-of-business users with a well-structured, documented, and efficient approach. You can find more information about the features, SAP delivered content and benefits of Integration Assessment at my blog post Integration Assessment capability within SAP Integration Suite is general available now.
What is the scope of the SAP Discovery Center mission?
The easiest way to get started with Integration Assessment is to run through the platform mission Get started with Integration Suite – Integration Assessment of SAP Discovery Center (see figure 1 below).
This platform mission covers the initial set up and configuration of the environment and allows you to process your first integration assessment end-to-end for a sample integration scenario.
Let’s take a look at the scope of each phase of this mission:
- Discover: As part of the first phase, you will get to know SAP’s integration strategy in the context of the Intelligent Enterprise and the basic concepts of ISA-M. After a brief introduction to SAP Integration Suite, you will get an overview of the Integration Assessment capability.
- Prepare: Next you need to perform the basic preparation steps of SAP Integration Suite including its Integration Assessment capability. If you don’t have an SAP BTP enterprise account handy you will learn how to get one. Alternatively, you can also use the free SAP BTP trial offering for this mission.
- Configure: Now you configure the content of Integration Assessment. In real life this task is is being performed by an Integration Architect. The configuration steps include the review and adjustment of SAP delivered ISA-M settings and the maintenance of landscape information. The latter one covers integration technologies and business applications for the sample integration scenario.
- Execute: For executing an integration assessment process you need to create a business solution request which may include one or many interface requests. These describe the requirements for an integration scenario and are typically issued by business domain experts. Once specified this request is being further processed by an integration developer. You will walk through a questionnaire. Based on the selected answer options Integration Assessment will provide you a proposal of one or more integration technologies with the best fit to the specified needs. After you will have selected the integration technology instances the technology selection is also documented in the tool. As an optional task you may explore options to analyze your integration strategy. With that you will have completed this mission.
- Additional information (optional phase):
If you would like to learn more about ISA-M and Integration Assessment you may check out additional information sources such as the free ISA-M template (PPT based), blog post from the experts and an openSAP course.
How can I start?
Just go to SAP Discovery Center and start the mission Get started with Integration Suite – Integration Assessment.
We are excited to hear your feedback about this mission. Please feel free share your thoughts in the comment section below or reach out to us via SAP Discovery Center support tool.