Sustainability with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208
I’m excited to share the latest updates from Sustainability LoB with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208. In this update I will be discussing the highlights from SAP Product Footprint Management and SAP E-Mobility. For the last update, check out my previous blog post Product Update Series H1 2022: Sustainability
Want to know more about Product Compliance and EHS? Check out the respective blog posts by Christian Vogler
Table of Contents
This blog post covers the following topics:
SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises – Brief Overview
SAP Product Footprint Management
- Calculation of Footprint for Manufactured Products
- Integration of Footprints into Stock – Multiple Materials App in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises – Brief Overview
SAP Sustainability Cloud is a comprehensive cloud offer that integrates data and process to manage carbon footprint, reduce material waste, and achieve social sustainability. Supported with the power and expertise of a global ecosystem.
SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises brings together data and business process solutions to address:
SAP Product Footprint Management
SAP Product Footprint Management, part of “Zero Emissions with Climate Change Solutions”, enables you to calculate product footprints periodically and at scale along the entire product lifecycle. You can extract business data (such as master data and material movements information) from your SAP S/4HANA or SAP S/4HANA Cloud systems and associate these to your emission factors. You can then run a mass calculation to generate footprints for your products.
Calculation of Footprint for Manufactured Products
With the initial release of SAP Product Footprint Management, the possibility to calculate the footprint of purchased raw material from the supplier, was introduced. We are glad to take this a step further and introduce the possibility to calculate footprint for manufactured products for both; the finished and semi finished products. For now, only the raw materials can be considered and the production activities calculations will come at a later stage.
Calculation is run automatically by leveraging the cost estimate results from SAP Product Cost Planning. For defining the scope of the calculation, we introduced the new calculation template that can be used to define the plants and manufactured products. It is also possible to retrieve calculated footprints by analytical applications via the OData API, as introduced with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202 release blog post.
Watch the demo below for a more hands-on experience.
Demo: Calculation of Footprint for Manufactured Products
- Availability of footprints for purchased and manufactured products
- Automated calculation by re-using cost estimate results from SAP Product Cost Planning
- New calculation template to define the plants and the manufactured products
- Usage of replicated costing results to acquire information on material composition of manufactured product
- Possibility to retrieve calculated footprints by analytical applications via the analytical OData API
- Updated pre-built content package in SAP Analytics Cloud to include analytics for Manufactured Products
Integration of Footprints into Stock – Multiple Materials App in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
One of the unique propositions of SAP Product Footprint Management is the integration of footprints back into SAP S/4HANA Cloud. In S/4HANA Cloud you have access to the published footprints. Overtime, more and more applications within SAP S/4HANA Cloud will have access to the integrated footprints. We started with the integration into purchasing apps like the Monitor Purchase req app and now its extended to integrate into inventory management processes. Ensuring transparency into sustainability and environmental impact on the inventory and provide sustainability criteria into decision making.
You can watch the demo below for a hands on demo on the important features.
Demo: Integration of Footprints into Stock – Multiple Materials App in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- Integration of product footprint information into Inventory Management processes
- Transparency on sustainability and environmental impact of inventory
- Possibility to take sustainability criteria into decision making
- Calculation of footprints with SAP Product Footprint Management, published into SAP S/4HANA Cloud and stored in the Footprint Integration Component
- Stock – Multiple Materials App pulls footprint data from Integration Component and displays the footprints for each material directly in the app
With SAP E-Mobility, as part of “Zero Emissions with Climate Change Solutions”, manage your charge point infrastructure and interact along the mobility value chain in the cloud to support collaborative, end-to-end business models and processes.
Enhanced Experience with SAP Fiori UX
Maintaining the integration of all core products into the SAP landscape is key offering by SAP. With this release, SAP E-Mobility continues in this direction and is now taking a step closer with introducing SAP Fiori UX. It will help to connect the charge point backend system to your enterprise landscape and lets you operate your charge point infrastructure at next level. This is just the first step and we have updates and enhancements planned for the future updates to leverage maximum potential.
With the SAP Fiori UX, you can perform several vital functions for SAP E-Mobility including:
- Monitoring of charging stations – including charging session data, history and price
- Review of charging session logs
- Charging network structure setup
- Assign charging stations to charging network structure
- Connect new charge stations
- Manage charging badges
Watch the demo below for detailed information.
Demo: SAP Fiori UX – SAP E-Mobility
- Next generation user experience with SAP Fiori
- Step closer to close integration with SAP product core
- Harmonising user experience across entire SAP based process landscape
- Increased usability through desktop and tablet integration
More resources on Sustainability
For more information on SAP for Sustainability and our 3 pillars of Zero Emissions with Climate Action, Zero Waste with Circular Economy and Zero Inequality with Social Responsibility check out the following links:
- Holistic Steering and Reporting
- Climate Action
- Circular Economy
- Social Responsibility
- SAP and our Responsibility by Thomas Saueressig
- Chasing Zero | Video
- My blog post covering “Product Update Series H1 2022: Sustainability“
- My blog post covering “Sustainability with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202“
For more information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud, check out the following links:
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info here
- Sven Denecken’s SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 Release Blog
- Latest SAP S/4HANA Cloud Release Blogs here and previous release highlights here
- Product videos on our SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA YouTube playlist
- SAP S/4HANA PSCC Digital Enablement Wheel here
- Early Release Webinar Series here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Community: here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here
- Help Portal Product Page here
- Implementation Portal here
Follow us via @SAP, #SAPCommunity and #S4HANA, or myself via LinkedIn and twitter @STalalHussain
This is a fantastic resource.
To help complete the picture for engaging customers, capturing diagnostics and powering the circular economy, SAP has developed Green CX.
Hi Stephen, thank you for your comment. Stay tuned for future updates or browse through the previous ones. Green CX is definitely a right step.
very nice blog and functionality. Working in food many customers are asking for such functionality. Was wondering if this is also available for on premise installations, or is it only for S/4HANA public cloud available
It's a broad question, but yes the new products are cloud only. I would need more specifics to point you to the right direction.
Also, have a look at the SAP Help documentation for more details.
the product are cloud I understand, but can they be connected to a S/4HANA on premise version?
let's take a specific product, talking about SAP Product Footprint Management, yes it can be connected to On-Premise versions. out-of-the box with S/4 2021, for older S/4 and ECC we offer APIs
More details are here: SAP Help: Connecting PFM
and, SAP Help Concepts for PFM
Please note, footprint integration from PFM to S/4 works only with 2021 version
Hope that helps,
Thank you for the interesting blog post!
Hi Syed Talal Hussain,
Awesome blog and informative. Working on steel projects and many customers are asking for the same functionality to implement. Searching for the same. Kindly share ESG KPI standards and more basic details/ documents/ URLs.
Thanks & Regards,