A new way to perform the SAP Homogeneous System Migration on Linux/HP-UX
The blog is about to perform the Homogeneous SAP system Migration with the help of File system copy from Source systems to target systems.
The traditional SWPM export and import method has been over for Homogeneous System Migration in terms of Hardware refresh, OS upgrade or to build new system copy of existing systems.
I am talking about filesystem copy method. The major key point of filesystem copy method is, easy to achieve, minimal downtime of systems and very less manpower effort. You can migrate multiple systems in one downtime slots. This is the main reason to write this blog, So everyone can take help from this blog and perform the Homogeneous SAP System Migration in very less downtime.
There is no SAP/database installation needed on target server. You just need to copy as is filesystem from source to target server and be careful about network isolation.
- Create the same as is filesystem structure with same allocated space on target server.
- Validate the new server for required SAP/Database related library rpm packages installation. You can easily find the SAP Notes for library rpm packages required for respected DB/SAP system on SAP Market Place, SAP Notes 1391070.
- Set the required Linux kernel parameters and process resource limit value as per SAP note 2002167. this is the very useful SAP Notes
Linux Kernel parameter
- Update the host file entry with target IP address.
- Copy and expand the existing service file, users, user group (/etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/groups/), home directory from source server to target server, don’t delete just expand .
- Use RSYNC command to copy the filesystems of /oracle, /sapmnt, /usr/sap.
- Don’t copy the /oracle/SID/sapdata* filesystem using copy method, take offline/online backup and then restore on target system.
- Start and validate the database post restore and re-restore again on final cutover.
- Swap the hostname of servers before starting the systems on target servers for final go live if required.
- Install the SAP License with new hardware key.
- Once live, take full filesystem backup with database backup.
The conclusion about this blog is you can perform Homogeneous Migration with the help of file system copy apart from export/import method.
I am eagerly waiting for your comment and valuable feedback. Please reach me out if you have any query/suggestion.
Please follow me for more inside and engagement.
Please go ahead and check the reference:
SAP Note 1391070 – Linux UUID solutions, 2002167 – Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.x: Installation and Upgrade
Performing a System Copy by Copying the File System