Environment, Health, and Safety in SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208
Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) support you in managing business processes related to the safety of the environment and the health and safety of people. Environment Management enables you to plan the required activities for managing the compliance of your company with emission-related environmental regulations. Incident Management enables you to record and process incidents, safety observations, and near misses. You can report the data to internal and external stakeholders to fulfill legal, regulatory, and company reporting responsibilities. Environment, Health, and Safety enable you to assess and manage risks in your organization. You can take the appropriate actions necessary to reduce risk to acceptable levels and prevent any harmful effects on the health and safety of your employees and the environment.
With this new release, we continue our journey to create a proactive approach to workplace safety, and this blog provides an overview of the key innovations delivered with the SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 for Environment, Health, and Safety.
To name just a few highlights:
- Management of safety instructions for equipment
- Incident Management: Improvements in the initial incident recording
- … and more.
In case you do not need all the information below and just briefly want to get an overview of the release highlights, please watch this video with the top key innovations:
Release video: SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 for Environment, Health, and Safety: Top 2 key innovations.
Incident Management: Improvements in the initial incident recording
Assignment of Multiple Injured Persons
With this feature, you can assign multiple Injured Persons or Nearly Injured Persons as per your needs in the Report Incident app. You can also assign Near Miss and Safety Observation circumstances and estimated risk, as well as assign Near Miss and Safety Observation, and estimated risk.
Picture 1: Assign multiple injured persons or nearly injured persons as per your needs in the Report Incident app.
- During the initial incident recording, you can now assign multiple injured persons or nearly injured persons as per your needs in the Report Incident app.
- You can also assign circumstances and estimated risk to Near Miss and Safety Observation incident categories. As a mandatory field, the circumstances must be entered. Entering the estimated risk is optional.
Picture 2: Assign circumstances and estimated risk to Near Miss and Safety Observation incident categories
Draft Concept in Task Management
With this feature, you can save your work in a draft version when you’re creating a task definition and continue working on it later. Your draft is displayed under the Task Definition tab in the Manage Incident Tasks (F3091) app. In addition, you can see drafts that are saved by other users.
Picture 3: Create a draft of the task definition.
The object page in the Manage Incident Tasks app has been enhanced with a tab bar navigation with the following tabs:
- Task Definitions: A list of the task definitions that are assigned to the incident with their details, such as ID, title, status, and assignee. The Add Task button is renamed to Add Task Definition and is in the table header. You can navigate to the Manage Task Definition app from each record in the table to view and edit task details.
Task Instances: A list of the task instances that are created for the incident with their details, such as ID, title, status, and due date. You can navigate to the Display Task Instance app from each record in the table to view and edit task details.
Configuration for Incident Management
With this release, new configuration objects or configuration items for making settings related to Incident Management have been added to your configuration environment. In addition, changes have been made to some previously delivered configuration objects or configuration items.
The following table provides an overview of new and changed configuration objects and items. Use the search function in your configuration environment to find a configuration object or item. For more information about the settings that must be made in each configuration object, access the documentation available for configuration objects in the configuration environment.
|Object Description||Technical Name|
|Modification of Planned Task Instances||BADI_EHFND_TASK_PLAN_MODIFY||This Business Add-In (BAdI) is used in Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS-SUS-FND) to modify the fields of planned task instances.|
|Field Control for Extension of Task Definition Root||BADI_EHFND_TASK_DEF_FLD_CTRL||This Business Add-In (BAdI) is used in Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS-SUS-FND) to control the display behavior of custom fields added to the EHS Task Definition business object with key user extensibility, such as editability, visibility, in the EHFND_TASK_DEFINITION business context. You can also use the BAdIs to mark a field as mandatory or optional|
|Field Control for Maintenance Notification Task Definition Extension||EHFND_TASK_MNTF_FLD||This Business Add-In (BAdI) is used in Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS-SUS-FND) to control the display behavior of custom fields added to the subnode Maintenance Notification of the EHS Task Definition business object with key user extensibility, such as editability, visibility, in the EHFND_TASK_DEFINITION business context. You can also use the BAdI to mark a field as mandatory or optional.|
Management of safety instructions for equipment
You can use this app to create new safety instructions and new revisions for existing safety instructions in your factory to keep your workers safe when working with this equipment. A safety instruction summarizes all information for safe handling, for example, personal protective equipment, and first aid notes. What kind of information has to be part of a safety instruction depends on local regulations and requirements.
All businesses must ensure that their equipment is used and maintained correctly to reduce the risk of accidents or damage to health and to meet health and safety requirements. Under health and safety laws, employers have a duty to minimize risks to employees.
Demo 1: Provide proper instructions to employees about safety-critical work conditions (including audio).
You can use this app to do the following:
- Search and display existing safety instructions. For every combination of factory, factory area, equipment, job, and language, two revisions of the safety instruction can be visible: the revision last released and the revision in process.
- Create new safety instructions. If you need safety instructions in different languages, you create a separate safety instruction for every language.
- Create a new revision for an existing safety instruction when changes occur, for example, when the operating procedure for a machine changes.
- Create templates for specific safety instructions. You can use these safety instructions as copy templates when creating new safety instructions and take over the information included in the template safety instruction.
- Add text and symbols to the different chapters of the safety instruction.
- Define and use text blocks for every chapter to easily reuse commonly used formulations or snippets. You can then reuse these factory-specific text blocks in other safety instructions for the same factory. Text blocks are chapter-specific, so they can only be reused in the same chapter as they were created.
- Release the safety instruction and decide if the revision is a major or a minor revision.
- Generate a safety instruction document, which is displayed within the app. You can then download or print the document.
- Select several safety instructions and have the corresponding safety instruction documents sent to your e-mail address.
- Set a safety instruction to historic if it is no longer needed. The safety instruction is then no longer accessible in this app.
With this app, you can view jobs used in your company for health and safety processes. In addition, you can use this app to create new jobs.
Related to the management of safety instructions for equipment, with this app you can manage the jobs which will be referenced in the safety instructions for the equipment.
Picture 4: Create relevant master data for jobs with the Manage Jobs app
You can use this app to do the following:
- Search for jobs used in your company. A job specifies the work that is done. A job does not describe the position a person occupies, but the work or activity that is performed, for example, welding or cleaning.
- View or change data for a job by choosing the corresponding link in the Job column in the list report and navigating to Edit Job.
- Create a new job by choosing the button Create Job.
Environment Management: Management of Reporting Tasks
With this feature, you can use reporting tasks to plan the creation and generation of environmental reports. Reporting tasks help trace the schedule of the report and maintain responsible persons to work on it. Reporting tasks allow aligning the report to specific compliance requirements. You can schedule single or recurring reporting tasks.
Once created, a reporting task initiates an environmental report on the task start date and sends it to an assignee to complete the work on the report. The report can be sent for approval once the file is generated by the system. The task is closed only after the report is finished and approved.
Demo 2: New reporting task type with an additional task definition app: automatic report creation based on the task data (including audio).
You can use this app to do the following:
- Schedule recurrence of the task, for example, set your report on a particular day of the month.
- Specify an assignee to work on it, and an approver to review the report and validate its data. You can assign persons responsible for location roles, not only on specific users. This helps ensure a more flexible handling of the tasks across the team.
- Assign the task to a specific location, so that you can generate a report for that location.
- Specify further report information, such as report name or reporting period type. Assign a report form to the reporting task, so that when the report is created at a later point, it uses the report type that you’ve already specified in the respective task.
- Maintain references, such as the respective compliance requirement paragraph.
Environment Management: Management of Data Classifiers
With this feature, you can view all available data classifiers in the system, check where they are used in data sets, reports, or location aggregations, and make changes as needed on how data is classified. You can use mass functions for assignment, un-assignment, or merging of data classifiers.
Picture 5: Navigate to a data classifier from the list and make changes in data classification by assigning new data sets to it.
You can use this app to do the following:
- View a list of available data classifiers in the system.
- View where data classifiers are used (location aggregations, environmental reports).
- Search by data classifier or by assigned data sets.
- Create new data classifiers and provide a description for them.
- Assign data sets to classifiers.
- Change the assigned data sets to a classifier by adding new data sets or removing the ones that are no longer needed.
- Merge data classifiers by selecting which one to keep in use.
Environment Management: Work View of a Material
With this feature, you can get an overview of the available compliance data for a given material in the system, such as its physical-chemical properties or analytical compositions. The data is provided similarly to a safety data sheet to facilitate further work with it. Additionally, you can complement the data as needed to support waste disposal processes.
Picture 6: Get an overview of the compliance information available in the system for a given material.
As a master data specialist for product compliance, you likely have to carry out the following tasks:
- Request and collect safety data sheet relevant information for materials from your suppliers.
- Maintain the information that you receive in the system without interruption to running processes.
The Work View app helps you to carry out these tasks. With this app, you can get an overview of the information available in the system for a given material. The app groups the available information similarly to a safety data sheet which makes it easier for you to process the received information and maintain it correctly in the system.
Environment Management: Provision of Additional Information or Attachments for Amounts
With this feature, you can enter additional information or attach files to environmental amounts. This way, you can provide more context or relevant visualization for the amounts that you’ve entered.
Picture 7: Enter additional information or attach files to environmental amounts.
Waste Management: Manage Waste Transfer Requests
With this app, you can create, manage, and delete waste transfer requests. Waste transfer requests are the starting point for disposal processing. In the waste transfer request, you document the point of generation of the waste product, related waste stream and disposal channel, date of the transfer request, and the quantity of waste that was produced (this includes the amount and unit of measure).
The waste transfer request also contains the data required for disposal processing. Waste transfer requests serve as a notification that waste can be moved from the point of generation. If a storage location has been specified, the waste product will be moved from the point of generation to a central collection point or to a local collection point. It will later be moved from the collection point to a disposal facility by the transporter. If no storage location has been specified, the waste product will be moved directly from the point of generation to the disposal facility by the transporter.
Now with this new release, an Environmental Manager can now receive email notifications regarding your waste storage and movement periods.
You are able to receive an email notification that warns you when your waste storage period is coming to an end and a separate email notification informing you when your waste storage period is expired.
When you receive the email notifications is dependent on your country/region’s default periods which include:
- Maximum Storage Period
- Default Warning for Maximum Storage Period
- Movement Period
- Default Warning for Movement Period
Picture 8: Receive email notifications regarding dedicated waste storage and movement periods.
Waste Management: Manage Waste Disposal Channels
As an Environmental Manager, you have responsibility for managing the generation, storage, transportation, and disposing of materials deemed to be waste relevant.
The waste disposal channel defines how waste products can be disposed of from the waste stream, which is the connection between a waste material and where is produced and stored.
With this app, a user with the role of Environmental Manager can create, edit, and delete waste disposal channels.
Picture 9: Create, edit, and delete waste disposal channels.
Waste Management: My Waste Transportation Documents
To dispose of generated waste, an Environmental Manager needs to document each step in the waste disposal chain in a legally compliant waste transportation document.
With the My Waste Transportation Documents app, you can create, edit, and delete waste transportation documents (manifests) for locations, classified as waste generators in the waste management context. You can use various filters to search for specific waste transportation documents and update their data.
Now with this new release, you can now view dangerous goods information related to the waste products and generate view and print, or e-send waste transportation documents.
Picture 10: Create and edit existing waste transportation documents for waste generators that you are responsible for.
Watch the Replays of Our SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 Early Release Series!
We’ve hosted a series of compelling live sessions from the heart of the SAP S/4HANA Engineering organization. Missed the live sessions? Watch our replays on demand!
Among the replays, you can find a 30-minute replay, a presentation, and demos for Enterprise Portfolio and Project Management as part of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 release as well as 20 other sessions on diverse topics like Manufacturing, Finance, Professional Services, SAP User Experience, Developer Extensibility and much more. For more information on the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Early Release Series and how to sign up for it, see this link.
Thanks for reading this blog post. Stay tuned!
More Information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info here
- Sven Denecken’s SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 Release Blog
- My Link Collection for Sales here
- My Link Collection for Product Compliance here
- Latest SAP S/4HANA Cloud Release Blogs here and previous intelligent ERP updates here
- Product videos on our SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA YouTube playlist
- SAP S/4HANA PSCC Digital Enablement Wheel here
- Early Release Webinar Series here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- openSAP Microlearning for SAP S/4HANA here
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Community here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here
- Help Portal Product Page here
- Implementation Portal here
Follow us via @SAP and #S4HANA, or myself via @VoglerChrist and LinkedIn