What is SAP Experience and how to gain it through SAP training?
SAP experience can have different meanings: from SAP user experience, UI technology to knowledge and skills in SAP software. This can imply using, implementing or programming the software from SAP. The latter helps on your career path, as SAP skills are in high demand.
What is SAP?
SAP is one of the world’s leading producers of software for the administration and management of business processes. SAP develops solutions that facilitate effective data processing and information flow in companies. These include software for Digital Supply Chain, Financial Management, Human Resource Management and Talent Management, CRM and Customer Experience, Spend Management, and a Technology Platform. In addition, there are solutions for various industries from energy to public services.
What is SAP User Experience?
SAP User Experience, or ‘SAP UX’ for short, is used to deliver personalized, fast and easy user experiences. This is helped by various technologies such as SAP Fiori. SAP Fiori provides a user experience comparable to consumer apps. This UX technology can personalize and simplify the user experience for SAP applications on any device.
What are SAP ERP skills and how can they be learned?
ERP systems are used to standardize processes in enterprise resource planning, customer relationship management (CRM) system, accounting and many other areas. They can provide fast, clear and, thanks to a central database, always up-to-date information about essential key figures in the company. As cloud-based ERP systems are on the rise due to their scalability and lower investment costs, cloud ERP skills are also becoming increasingly important: specialists in this field are in high demand – especially those who are familiar with ERP systems from the market leader SAP. Let’s take a look at the job descriptions first, followed by the training opportunities.
Roles and Jobs in the SAP field
In high demand are SAP consultants, administrators and developers who, for example, create enhancements on the SAP Business Technology Platform. In addition, there are various other roles such as super & key users, data analysts, UI experts or citizen developers who develop enhancements using low-code tools and their process know-how.
What is SAP Certification?
SAP Global Certification is considered a secure quality seal that experts can use to prove their SAP expertise. Companies, recruiters, and hiring managers can use it to identify experts in a particular solution who stand out in the job market because of their certification. Research on LinkedIn also shows that it pays off: certified SAP experts are 2.6 times faster to get a promotion. Certifications are offered for a variety of solution areas. Which one is right for you depends on your job role, work experience, SAP subject area and personal career aspirations. In general, there are three types of certification: associate, specialist, and professional. Detailed information about these levels can be found in our blog post.
How do you prepare for SAP Certification?
The first step should be to identify the solution area or topic of the planned certification. One can refer to the list of all valid certifications or the SAP Learning Journeys for help. Passing the exam requires thorough preparation, which can be structured with the respective exam description page (e.g. here using the example of certification C_S4CFI_2208). On the one hand, topics that will be asked in the exam are listed there, and on the other hand, suitable course recommendations and sample questions are provided. Once the context is set and the requirements are known, exam preparation can be done in a variety of ways: With instructor-led standard training, self-study in SAP Learning Hub, or an SAP Blended Learning Academy that incorporates both approaches. Practicing in live systems is recommended, as the certification exam also tests whether acquired knowledge can be applied in practice.
Where can I learn SAP for free?
There are different free offers – here are the most popular ones from SAP:
- learning.sap.com is a new platform that offers English e-learning courses. Target groups are SAP developers, students and partly also SAP consultants.
- openSAP is a free Massive Open Online Course platform from SAP. Online courses with videos, quizzes and tests, and in some cases exercises, are offered in English, especially on strategic topics that go beyond pure product know-how, such as design thinking or sketch-noting. On openSAP you find also many Podcasts like my EducationNewscast Podcast on learning, training & new work.
- SAP Community includes blogs and tutorials: With 4 million users, 287,000 of them daily users, the community not only offers many blogs by SAP experts around the world on a wide range of topics and software offerings, but also various tutorials. There is also a Community topic page on Training & Certification.
- Embedded Learning delivers learning content for key users and end users of SAP software in the context of working in the software. Thousands of standard tutorials are directly available via the Help Center, e.g. in SAP S/4HANA, SuccessFactors or other solutions. The goal is fast onboarding and becoming productive as well as continuous expansion of skills and capabilities via learning in the flow of work. Only the change or enhancement of tutorials needs licensing of the SAP Enable Now software.
There are also many free offers from other providers on the Internet, but we do not recommend them. Some of these are gray market providers that finance themselves with user data and advertising, and some of the content is incorrect or outdated. SAP does not guarantee the accuracy and quality of such content.
How to learn SAP by yourself with SAP Learning Hub
SAP Learning Hub offers a digital learning environment in which people can acquire skills in the SAP solutions, regardless of time or location. The digital learning platform includes access to learning content and systems, live sessions, communities, and webinars. The content offered is primarily SAP standard training. SAP ERP experts can also participate in the Stay Current program, which keeps SAP knowledge and certifications up to date. There are different editions to choose from:
- Professional Edition provides access to the full learning catalog on all topics and 60 hours of usage time in SAP Learning System Access.
- The Partner Edition includes the complete training catalog as well as two exam attempts in the cloud and 60 hours of usage time in SAP Learning Systems (exclusively for members of the SAP PartnerEdge program).
- The eight Solution Editions each include solution-specific learning content e.g. for HCM or Analytics solutions, 60 hours of use in SAP Learning System, and two exam attempts for SAP Certification.
- The Business Edition is suitable for learners who want to get an overview of SAP software, but cannot be used to prepare for certification without supplemental training.
All Editions incl. pricing can be found on the SAP Learning Hub Edition comparison. Which edition is right for each learner can also be researched using the SAP Learning Hub catalog, which lists all available learning content. You can try out SAP Learning Hub in this free Trial.
Instructor-led learning with SAP training
Those who prefer courses that are held live by an instructor can choose between classroom training and virtual SAP training. Participants in a classroom training course receive training from an SAP expert on-site at one of our modern training centers. In hands-on learning units, learners are guided through individual exercises, receive answers to their questions and can, of course, exchange information with each other. In virtual training, participants are given also access to a live SAP system as well as learning materials and can interact with each other as well as with our SAP experts during the course. Modern video and audio learning technology ensures that all course participants receive a sustainable learning experience. Learner’s Choice is available on many courses, allowing each person to decide whether they want to attend training virtually or in person, they can even switch in one class. Trainer-led training courses, including available dates, can be found in the training catalog. Instructor lead training can be booked individually, as bundle as part of an academy – or if companies want to train several employees they also can book the SAP Preferred Card – which is a debit card including up to 25% bonus.
The best of both learning methods – the SAP Blended Learning Academy
With the SAP Blended Learning Academy, learners benefit from both the flexibility of self-paced learning and the focus & guidance in a trainer-led course: The part-time, modular training program includes access to the SAP Learning Hub digital learning platform and virtual training through SAP Learning Class. All participants are supervised by a trainer at fixed dates and can exchange ideas. Between these dates, everyone also learns independently and flexibly in the SAP Learning Hub. Depending on the subject area, the program lasts 2 to 4 months and ends in a consultant certification.
Learning Experience Design
Thinking of Experience: the experience management trend also is important in the field of learning. See my article on LinkedIn on learning experience design as a New Paradigm for Learning & Education.
I hope this list has given you a good overview. Do you have any further questions? Then feel free to ask them in the comments or check out our different local contact possibilities.