SAP Central Finance – Central Commitment & Constraints with New Commitment management solution in S/4 HANA
In this blog, I’ll talk about the Central commitment configuration & challenges encountered using this functionality along with Predictive ledger in target system.
When the commitment management is active, creation of PR & PO creates the commitment. Commitments are stored in COOI table (ECC). Central Commitment allows to replicate these commitments and commitment updates in real-time from one or more source systems to Central Finance system, thus giving additional flexibility to include financial data from commitments. Commitment in S/4 HANA system are stored in COOI as well as ACDOCA table.
Commitment update triggered due to change in PO & PR, GR/IR or reversal of GR/IR are also replicated in real time.
High Level Configuration
- Activate BC Set – FINS_CFIN_AIF_CMT in CFIN System
- Assign AIF Runtime Configuration Group to Replication Object
- Maintain RFC Assignments & Settings for Source System
Make sure to define User of Type C (Communication) for this RFC destination
- Preparation of Initial Load of Commitments
Initial Load preparation selects all the PR & PO related to the initial load scope & builds a global transfer structure of commitments. It save it to CFIN_CMT_I table which is being used for initial load by SLT.
- In SLT, define replications objects for the table CFIN_CMT_H
- Start load and replication for CFIN_CMT_H
- Process any error messages which occur for commitment replication in AIF in the namespace /FINCF, interface CMT_DOC
Constraints with Central Commitment & new Commitments Management (S/4HANA 1809 onward)
New Commitment management is activated by creating Extension Ledger for commitment. If the company code in Target has predictive ledger active, this means that purchase requisition commitment being replicated from source system will be updated into predictive commitment in target. Nevertheless the old commitments table – COOI is still updated in parallel to ACDOCA.
Few frequently encountered constraints are listed below
- Purchase order or purchase requisition with account assignment G/L account of cost element category 90 is not supported. Because the G/L Account Type is “Balance Sheet Account”. Like, an account assignment wbs-element in combination with asset is not supported.In such case, ACDOCA table will not be posted with Commitment PR replicated from source while the old Table – COOI will be updated.
- Another major constraints with Predictive commitment is the limitation of additional statistical objects in the same journal entry item along with real object. This kind of scenario is hinderance as it lead to AIF error and both new as well as old tables are not updated due to Internal Program Error.
Example – GL account with cost element category 11 (Revenue) has cost center as well as Profit center both defined in Purchase requisition in Source system. This mean cost center can only be statistical CO object for this posting. The real CO object is the reconciliation object from profit center. This combination is not allowed for predictive commitment update. The commitment though posted in Source however it will fail as error in AIF – “Internal Program Error. Contact SAP”
- There is no reconciliation report for predictive commitment (no to be confused with Standard Commitment reconciliation report). If the posting is wrong, there is no way to correct it by correction report. The correction report RKANBU01, which is used to correct classic commitment (table COOI) can not be used to correct new commitment (table ACDOCA). There’s no report which automatically adjusts or corrects new commitment in ACDOCA.
While Replication of Commitment functionality in Central Finance is an excellent feature for additional flexibility of using commitment data in Target reporting, Predictive Ledger in S/4 HANA should be activated only when absolutely necessary as predictive commitment has a lot of limitations. You should have good reason to have the combination of source without Predictive, but target system with predictive commitment .
In target system, It is advisable to use the old reports for commitment in order to get correct view of replicated commitment. It is also advisable to use COOI table for data extraction for BW purpose for the reasons discussed above.
Please refer to below SAP Note for more constraints : 2778793 – Constraints with New Commitments Management Solution (S/4HANA 1809 and higher releases)
Share your feedback or any more restriction with example if you came across the similar situation.