Product Update Series H1 2022: Sustainability
Welcome everyone to my blog post. This post will focus on key innovations with the Product Update Series H1 2022 with the Sustainability LoB. This time, I will be covering SAP Responsible Design and Production, SAP Product Footprint Management and SAP E-Mobility. For the last update, have a look at my previous blog post “Sustainability with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202“.
Table of Contents
This blog post covers the following topics:
- Release of Public APIs to Manage Master Data and Business Activity Data
- Purchased Products Footprint Analytics in SAP Analytics Cloud
SAP Sustainability Cloud is a comprehensive cloud offer that integrates data and process to manage carbon footprint, reduce material waste, and achieve social sustainability. Supported with the power and expertise of a global ecosystem.
SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises brings together data and business process solutions to address:
As sustainable business regulations, such as plastic taxes, are put in place, the SAP Responsible Design and Production solution, as part of “Zero Waste with Circular Economy”, enables brands to accelerate their transition to circular-economy business practices. The new solution helps companies gain better visibility of material flows through their processes including tracking and complying with rapidly changing regulations, especially those concerning product packaging and plastics. As businesses increasingly develop sustainable products, managing materials and regulatory data is becoming one of the most complex challenges across the consumer industry today.
In my previous blog post, I introduced SAP Responsible Design and Production and also talked about EPR (Extended Producer Responsibility) Dashboard. You can read more details in my blog post “Introducing SAP RDP and EPR Dashboard with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202”
With SAP Responsible Design and Production, SAP supports you to manage fees related to Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations and product packaging taxes.
Companies in France need to report the weight of packaging materials of goods that are sold to CITEO as well as to Non-Governmental Organizations on the progress of voluntary agreements. There are awards for more sustainable packaging and penalties for less sustainable packaging due to an eco-modulation system.
This solution supports the preparation and generation of the Declaration per CSU report, which you must submit in case your company places more than 500,000 CSUs on the French market per year. This declaration contains information about CSUs placed on the market, shown by weight and by material, as well as the calculated total contribution of CSUs.
Watch the demo below!
Demo: Declaration per CSU for France: The CITEO Report
Read more about the Declaration per CSU on SAP Help Portal.
Need more details? Refer to the blog post “SAP Responsible Design and Production: what is the Declaration per CSU for France?“ by Joao Lopes
SAP Product Footprint Management, part of “Zero Emissions with Climate Change Solutions”, enables you to calculate product footprints periodically and at scale along the entire product lifecycle. You can extract business data (such as master data and material movements information) from your SAP S/4HANA or SAP S/4HANA Cloud systems and associate these to your emission factors. You can then run a mass calculation to generate footprints for your products.
Note: More details on the below innovations can be found in the blog post “SAP Product Footprint Management: Q1-22 Updates & Highlights“ by Nico Wottke and from my previous blog post covering SAP Product Footprint Management with “Sustainability with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202“
Following are the updates for SAP Product Footprint Management:
Using REST APIs it is now possible to connect, for example older SAP S/4HANA releases or SAP ECC to SAP Product Footprint Management. The details of the APIs can be found on the SAP API Business Hub that enable data replication from other business systems thus providing more flexibility when it comes to calculating footprints with SAP Product Footprint Management.
Integration Accelerator Package will soon be available. It serves as a quick start service allowing customers to speed up the implementation of SAP Product Footprint Management by providing out-of-the-box integration to SAP ECC 6 (EHP 7 & 8) and SAP S/4HANA 1909 release. This is an ABAP-based integration package with prebuilt integration content, delivering a fast-starting point for customers to integrate their SAP Product Footprint Management solution to their backend systems. The integration content helps in selecting, extracting, and pushing the relevant data from the ECC tables into the cloud-based SAP Product Footprint Management solution via the API interfaces.
SAP Product Footprint Management was release last year with the capability to breakdown the calculated product footprints to the supplier level. Now this capability is enhanced with an analytics interface to calculate footprints into analytics applications such as SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC).
To help analyze the calculated footprints results in detail, with the aim of reducing your organization’s carbon exposure, an interface using the OData service has been provided to build analytics dashboards. This interface can be consumed by your own analytics application or can be used in SAP Analytics Cloud.
With the help of the OData service, you can evaluate the product footprint data in multiple dimensions, such as:
- Analyze the footprint data of products purchased from suppliers and identify a sustainable supplier.
- Analyze alternative material to reduce the carbon exposure.
For more information on using the OData service, see APIs for Analytics [Beta].
With SAP E-Mobility, as part of “Zero Emissions with Climate Change Solutions”, manage your charge point infrastructure and interact along the mobility value chain in the cloud to support collaborative, end-to-end business models and processes.
SAP E-Mobility enables all major charging scenarios. Namely:
- Charge@home: Integration to SAP Concur for accurate reimbursement for employees charging at home.
- Charge@public*: Integration to SAP Subscription Billing & SAP S/4HANA Cloud for invoicing and billing of subscription customers. Integration to SAP digital payment add-on for pay-as-you-go customers.
- Charge@work*: Integration to SAP S/4HANA Cloud for cost accounting of charging at the workplace. Smart charging for EV fleets incorporating prosumers to provide charging prioritization and meet grid retrains
SAP E-Mobility now introduces dynamic load management functionalities during the charging process of electric vehicles. Dynamic load management allows the optimization of EV charging by continuously distributing capacities.
Feature highlights of the new Smart Charging:
- Charge-management system helps to avoid having all vehicles to start charging upon their arrival
- Provides a new, real-time intelligent load-management algorithm with the following features:
- Assign power levels to charging stations to make sure that vehicles will be ready to go on the next shift
- Balance the load on power grid segments caused by charging electric vehicles
- Increase the number of charging stations that can be installed on grid segments
- Move loading processes to times with lower energy prices (energy cost reduction)
- Reduce stress on the power grid through peek load shaving
- Minimize load imbalances
- Conduct power grid–compliant charging
- Reduce energy costs
- Implement a scalable charging infrastructure without expanding the power grid
- Make sure vehicles will be ready to go on the next shifts (prioritized charging)
Helpful resources related to E-Mobility:
Need more details? Refer to the blog post: “How smart are the brand-new SMART CHARGING features of SAP E-Mobility?“ by Heike Seidl and Johannes Weber
More resources on Sustainability
For more information on SAP for Sustainability and our 3 pillars of Zero Emissions with Climate Action, Zero Waste with Circular Economy and Zero Inequality with Social Responsibility check out the following links:
- Holistic Steering and Reporting
- Climate Action
- Circular Economy
- Social Responsibility
- SAP and our Responsibility by Thomas Saueressig
- Chasing Zero | Video
- My previous blog post covering “Sustainability with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202“
For more information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud, check out the following links:
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info here
- Sven Denecken’s SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202 Release Blog
- Latest SAP S/4HANA Cloud Release Blogs here and previous release highlights here
- Product videos on our SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA YouTube playlist
- SAP S/4HANA PSCC Digital Enablement Wheel here
- Early Release Webinar Series here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Community: here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here
- Help Portal Product Page here
- Implementation Portal here