SAP Business Technology Platform Concepts
SAP Business Technology Platform Concepts
(Source: Basic Platform Concepts – SAP Help Portal) In this blog, you can find a short overview of the SAP Business Technology Platforms concepts.
SAP BTP offers users the ability to build and extend SAP applications quickly. SAP BTP comprises solutions spanning data and analytics, application development and automation, integration, enterprise planning and artificial intelligence technologies.
Check-out this page to get more information to discover how SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP) brings together application development & automation, integration, data & analytics, and AI capabilities into one unified environment optimised for SAP applications that allow you to create personalised experiences, build faster with business context, and run with context.
Technically, the Business Technology Platform, is a PaaS hosted by cloud providers. SAP BTP offers various tools and programming languages for application development.
SAP BTP relies on the following components:
Global Accounts: A global account is the realisation of a contract made with SAP. A global account is used to manage sub-accounts, members, entitlements, and quotas.
Sub-accounts: Sub-accounts let you structure a global account according to your organisations and project’s requirements regarding members, authorisations, and entitlements. A global account can contain one or more sub-accounts in which you deploy applications, use services, and manage your subscriptions.The entitlements and quotas that have been purchased for a global account have to be assigned to the individual sub-accounts.
Regions: applications are deployed in different regions. Each region represents a geographical Europe, US East) where applications, data, or services are hosted.Regions are provided either by SAP or by an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) partners Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Alibaba Cloud. The third-party region providers operate the infrastructure layer of the regions, whereas SAP operates the platform.
Environments: Environments constitute the actual platform-as-a-service offering for the development and administration of business applications. Environments are attached in SAP BTP on sub-account level.The multi-cloud foundation supports different environments, such as Cloud Foundry, NEO and ABAP.
- The ABAP environment is a platform as a service that allows you to extend existing ABAP-based applications and develop ABAP cloud apps decoupled from the digital core.
Services: Services enable, facilitate, or accelerate the development of business applications and other platform services on SAP BTP.
SAP BTP Cockpit: The central point of entry to the cloud platform is the SAP BTP cockpit, where you can access your accounts and applications and manage all activities associated with them. https://cockpit.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/cockpit/
The SAP BTP Cockpit is a web-based administration interface for configuring and managing applications, services, and sub-accounts.
SAP BTP Services for Application Life-cycle Management
- SAP Alert Notification Service (SAP Alert Notification Service for SAP BTP – SAP Help Portal)
- Create destination from Cloud Foundry tenant to the Alert Notification Service (ALERT_NOTIFICATION_SERVICE)
- Select alerts from BTP alerts catalog to add subscription triggering actions based on conditions.
- SAP Automation Pilot (What is SAP Automation Pilot – SAP Help Portal)
- Execute commands with inputs.
- SAP Cloud Transport Management (What Is Cloud Transport Management – SAP Help Portal).
- Setup Landscape mapped to the landscape Cloud Foundry sub-account (Dev, QA, Prod).
- Define destination from Transport Management to BTP Sub-account
- Maintain transport routes
- Control and deploy application to the prod stages.
- Hana Cloud Service
- SAP HANA Cloud is a database-as-a-service.
- Continuous Integration & Delivery Service (Continuous Integration and Delivery by SAP – SAP Help Portal)
- CI/CD service lets you create CI/CD jobs for your source repositories.
- It supports WEBHooks for your github repository to trigger pipeline after each commit. Different types of pipelines are supported:
- CAP, SAP Fiori in CloudFoundry,
- Link to Transport Management and deploy in Cloud Foundry space.
- SAP Business Application Studio (What is SAP Business Application Studio? – SAP Help Portal)
- SAP Business Application Studio is a development environment tailored for business application based on an open source IDE.
- SAP Business Application Studio manage dev spaces to provide isolated environments with tools and preinstalled runtimes per business scenario, such as SAP Fiori, SAP S/4HANA extensions, Workflow, Mobile.
- SAP BTP provides various programming languages and tools for your development project.
- SAP recommends to use the SAP Cloud Application Programming Model for your development projects. For more information, see Cloud Application Programming Model.
In the next blogs, we will see how SAP Cloud ALM is used to operate your SAP BTP environments.
Thanks for reading.
Nice summary Xavier; looking forward to your next blogs on ALM.