CLOUD ALM – A Mandate or a Choice
Let’s talk about Cloud ALM, it seems like a SOLMAN on the cloud.
SAP Cloud ALM is included in your cloud subscription with SAP Enterprise Support, and cloud editions.
But why does this need arise, what is leading us to adopt Cloud ALM?
So if you look at the diagrammatic view above, it clearly mentions you will need to move to CLOUD ALM. if your landscape moves to the cloud.
Now a million dollar question arises if moving your landscape to the cloud is still a choice from SAP.
If you look at their end-of-life product support most of the products are ending its mainstream support (including SOLMAN) at 2027. They are majorly all the solutions on-premise.
SAP has clearly stated that SAP will provide mainstream maintenance for SAP Business Suite 7 core applications until end of 2027. This offboarding phase will be followed by optional extended maintenance until end of 2030.
SAP will provide mainstream maintenance until end of 2027 for SAP Business Suite 7 core applications, which are also core applications of SAP Business All-in-One, including:
- SAP ERP 6.0
- SAP Customer Relationship Management 7.0
- SAP Supply Chain Management 7.0
- SAP Supplier Relationship Management 7.0 applications
- SAP Business Suite powered by SAP HANA
Once SAP ends support to these solutions where will the customers go, has SAP provided any roadmaps or way forward. Yes it as come up with a program of Rise with SAP, where it transits all the solutions to their newer products that are mostly based out of BTP\Cloud Centric Applications or S/4HANA systems.
Below is a brief one-to-one mapping of the older vs newer SAP solutions.
So once all the older SAP products and solutions are migrated/moved/converted to SAP Cloud-Based / BTP or newer SAP solutions(S4HANA) , then there would be a need to monitor them efficiently. So SAP has developed CLOUD ALM as their new ALM tool which supports all the cloud solutions as well as S/4 HANA on premise or cloud.
Below is currently supported solutions for CLOUD ALM.
Now let’s talk about some of the core capabilities of CALM. It provides extensive implementation and operations capabilities for cloud solutions.
SAP Cloud ALM for Operations
- Empowers customers to understand the health of SAP business solutions
- Provides full stack monitoring and alerting covering business processes, integration, users, applications, and the health of cloud services and systems
- Acts as collaboration platform between LOB and IT
- Allows to conduct root cause analysis on technical as well as on business process level
SAP Cloud ALM for Implementation
- Self-guided and content-driven implementation based on SAP Activate methodology and Best Practices content
- Fast onboarding of project Teams and Progress Monitoring of implementation activities
- Project planning synchronized with SAP Cloud solutions release timelines
- Manage Implementation Tasks – automatically generated and adapted to customer scope
- Supports Fit-to-Standard workshops with convenient visualization of Business Models and Process Descriptions
- Prepare and manage manual and automated tests
- Integrated reporting capabilities
So to conclude once you migrate your solutions to newer products you will have no choice left but to adopt Cloud ALM.
So if you live in, the year 2022, I think you can still prefer SOLMAN but if you are in the timeline of 2030, I think Cloud ALM would be quite prominent.
Please let me know your thoughts on the same.
And Happy Learning !!