Flexible Storage in SAP EWM
In this blog post you will learn about the Flexible storage in SAP EWM. Flexible storage is a dynamic and ad hoc storage system which can be altered based on the product intended to stock. It is unlike conventional storage system, devoid of fixed racks, structures, or bins. Storage bin is created whenever the put away is completed for the respective products.
It is well suited for businesses dealing with seasonal products and demands. For instance, considering a business with multi range products (Air conditioning systems, umbrella, raincoats), the demand to stock will predominantly rely on the seasons. In this case, flexible storage system will be suitable for stocking AC during summer and Raincoats during Monsoon.
The below mentioned configuration steps can be employed to achieve this functionality:
- There are some specific indicators that should be enabled in the storage type to achieve this scenario.
- Storage Behavior should be set as Flexible Storage
- Use Fixed Bins must be blank
- Put away Rules should not be set to Empty Bin.
- HU Type check must be blank
- WT Generic should be set on Only Storage Type
Configure storage type using the below mentioned node:
IMG Path – SPRO -> IMG -> SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Master Data -> Define Storage Types.
- Generate activity area using the below mentioned node:
IMG Path – SPRO -> IMG -> SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Master Data -> Activity Areas-> Generate Activity Area from Storage Type.
- Define flexible bin pattern using the below mentioned node:
IMG Path – SPRO -> IMG -> SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Goods Receipt Process ->Strategies ->Put away Rules->Storage Behavior: Flexible Bin->Flexible Bin Pattern.
- Maintain flexible bin area using the t-code:/SCWM/FLEXBINAREA.
- Inbound delivery: 180002285 is created.
- In the delivery screen, create warehouse task manually by clicking on CREATE button and then SAVE.
- Warehouse task is created pointing to the storage type.
- Enter the storage bin with the right pattern as maintained in the flexible bin area. If the user enters the bin with the incorrect pattern, then system will throw the error.
Confirm the warehouse order using the t-code:/SCWM/TO_CONF after entering the bin name. Storage bin will be created automatically with the confirmation of the warehouse task.
- The inbound delivery is marked as completed once the goods are moved to the final put away bin.
This blog post explains the configuration steps involved in Flexible storage with the test results.
Note: BADi can be implemented to determine destination bin during the WT creation or to create bin with some specific format as per customer requirement.