SAP Responsible Design and Production: Simple Overview About the Dual System Declaration for Germany
With SAP Responsible Design and Production, SAP supports your business in keeping product design and production decisions in line with regulatory and non-regulatory drivers towards sustainability.
Companies in Germany that are recognized as producer responsibility organizations (PROs) use the Dual System to manage the recycling of domestic waste in parallel to the existing municipal waste-collection systems.
- To comply with the German packaging law (VerpackG) with the licensed packaging volume and name of the PRO to Central Agency Packaging Register (ZSVR), participate in the Dual System Declaration by reporting the material types and weights of packaging elements to the contracted PRO, and pay the fees accordingly.
- The fee rates and the reporting frequency (at least once a year) of the Dual System declaration might vary between each company and the contracted PRO. Keeping track of the weight and material types of the packaging of the goods that you sell and submitting regular reports both to the contracted PRO and to ZSVR is mandatory.
- All packaging that will accumulate as waste after use by private end consumers, including product/sales packaging, secondary packaging, service packaging, and shipment packaging that reaches the end consumers, is subject to the German Dual System Declaration.
Challenges you might face along the way
Some challenges we are aware of that you might face along the way:
- If your company is not able to comply with VerpackG, there might be a fine of up to 200,000 € or no longer access to the German market.
- Deciding which provider suits best your business might be challenging too, as there is the analysis of identifying the most convenient combination of reporting frequency and respective fees.
- Monitoring and updating the changing fees and rules of the Dual System Declaration can be time and resource-consuming if done manually.
That’s when SAP comes into play to help you on this process.
How SAP can help?
With access to materials and logistics data and the possibility to capture packaging composition data, SAP Responsible Design and Production solution simplifies the reporting process.
You can use the SAP Responsible Design and Production to:
- Increase precision of payments for German Dual Systems declaration and provide capabilities to mitigate relevant compliance risks
- Customize reporting frequency and format based on the contracted PRO
- Maintain the negotiated fee rates and reporting frequency in one central system
- Manage costs of EPR fees through optimizing material choices for packaging
- Stay up to date with changing EPR reporting requirements with little to no implementation efforts
How to prepare the report:
The Dual System declaration requires you to prepare the data to get it ready for reporting.
You need to group separable packaging components and compound packaging components accurately into the defined material fractions.
Check the 95% rule example on the SAP Help Portal.
Once you have prepared the data for reporting, you can open the Run Compliance Reports app from your Fiori Launchpad and run the Dual System Declaration report:
For more information about Dual Systems reporting and how to get started, check the Dual Systems Declaration product documentation on the SAP Help Portal.
We hope this blog post helps you. Feel free to leave your questions, comments and feedback in the space provided below.
See you next time,