User Experience Insights
Keeping your Emarsys database manageable in size
Most of us are hoarders of one sort or another. – I know I am. I have drawers full of random clutter such as old cables, adaptors, plugs – things I have no use for but can’t throw due to a niggling feeling at the back of my head that some of them, someday, might turn out to be just the thing I need.
But once or twice a year I grasp the nettle and try to clear as much out as I can.
Why? two very good reasons – keeping too much stuff takes up space, and makes finding the stuff you really need that much harder.
It’s the same for contact records.
We all believe deep down that we should keep every contact record we ever come across – forever – because one day that contact might make a purchase.
At Emarsys (luckily for our customers) we know that is a false hope. Weighing down your contact database with unnecessary records will end up costing you in ways you might not consider:
- Money – we charge you by the size of your database, so it is in your best interest to keep it lean and mean (and clean)
- Performance – whether it is segment generation, launch list creation, reporting…every task that involves contacts will take more time the more records need to be processed
- Relevance – even if you have all the time and money in the world, sending messages to people who did not ask to receive them will damage your brand in the long term
And yet, the prize at the end of every successful promotional campaign should be a boost in your registrations, right? Even if you know that only a small percentage of these new contacts will convert, you still want to see the numbers rising, week in, week out.
So, what to do?
The Emarsys product Enablement team, with a helping hand from Client Success and Services, have prepared a short video to help you keep a clean database – we talk you through:
- Basic strategies for keeping a clean BD
- How to identify and delete the wrong kind of contacts
- The tools and screens in Emarsys that will help you do this
It also provides simple use cases with examples of automated programs to weed out the contacts you don’t want to keep.
You can watch the video here – we hope you like it!
You can also check out this short blog on Making segments from the Engagement Reporting screen.
What challenges are you facing?
We enjoyed making this video, so if there are other challenges that you face with your Emarsys account, or with digital marketing in general, please let us know in the comments and we’ll see if we can address your pain points in a future blog.