How to configure the Intelligent Situation Automation?
Are you interested in the new Intelligent Situation Automation service on SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP)? Are you looking for information about how to configure the service? This blog post describes how a system administrator can configure the Intelligent Situation Automation service on SAP BTP with step-by-step guidance and system screenshots.
If you first need some background information:
- refer to this blog post if you’re new to Situation Handling in SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
- Refer to this blog post if you are new to Intelligent Situation Automation on SAP Business Technology Platform, to learn about its features and how to purchase the service.
To use the Intelligent Situation Automation service, you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- An SAP S/4HANA Cloud system or SAP S/4HANA system (2021 or higher)
- An entitlement to Intelligent Situation Automation
- An entitlement to SAP Event Mesh
Intelligent Situation Automation is now available to try free of charge on SAP BTP free tier.
And now let’s get started with the configuration.
Subscribe to Intelligent Situation Automation
- Log in to your SAP BTP global account with the Global Account Administrator role assigned to you. Create a subaccount/reuse an existing subaccount in region Europe (Frankfurt) with the technical key cf-eu10. Currently, Intelligent Situation Automation is available only in Europe (Frankfurt).
- Navigate to the subaccount you’ve created and add the entitlement for the Intelligent Situation Automation with the standard / free plan. Repeat the same for the Event Mesh service with the Default plan in the same subaccount.
- In your subaccount, navigate to Service -> Service Marketplace. Search for Intelligent Situation Automation.
- Click on Create to start the subscription process. In the dialog box, choose to click Create.
- Navigate to Service -> Instances and Subscriptions to see the status of the subscription. Once the subscription is successful, the Go to Application button appears. In order to access the application, create a role collection and assign the required roles to the key user as detailed in the next section.
Create Role Collection
- Navigate to the Security -> Role Collections section of the BTP subaccount. Create a new Role collection and assign the role SituationAutomationAdminUser and your user to it
- Create another Role collection containing roles SituationAutomationKeyUser and RuleRepositorySuperUser. This role collection can be assigned to the key users of Intelligent Situation Automation.
The following steps are required before onboarding an SAP S/4HANA Cloud or SAP S/4HANA system to Intelligent Situation Automation.
Expose Situation Handling APIs
For SAP S/4HANA Cloud:
- Log in to your SAP S/4HANA Cloud system with the Administrator role. Open the Maintain Communication Users app and create a new communication user.
- Open Maintain Communication Systems app and create a new communication system. Make sure to select the Inbound Only checkbox. In the Users for Inbound Communication section, add the communication user you’ve created in the previous step.
- Open the Communication Arrangements app and create a new communication arrangement for Scenario SAP_COM_0345. In the Communication System section, choose the communication system created in the previous step. Note down the API-URL which will be used in the next step. Repeat the same for Scenario SAP_COM_0376.
For SAP S/4HANA:
- Log into your SAP S/4HANA front-end system and open transaction /IWFND/MAINT_SERVICE. Choose Add Service and enter the system alias of your back-end system. In the External Service Name field, enter API_BUSINESS_SITUATION_SRV and click on Get Services. Choose Add Selected Services and enter a technical name for the service in your customer namespace. Assign a package or choose Local Object and choose to Execute to save the service. Repeat the same for Service API_BUS_SITN_MSTRDATA_SRV.
- Use the cloud connector to allow access from SAP BTP to your SAP S/4HANA system. For more information, refer to Cloud Connector.
- Log into your Cloud Connector. In the Subaccount Dashboard, press Add Subaccount to add the SAP BTP subaccount created in the previous step. Choose Europe (Frankfurt) as Region. Enter the SAP BTP subaccount ID as Subaccount and provide the SAP BTP login credentials. To find the Subaccount ID, navigate to the Overview section in your SAP BTP subaccount. For more information, refer to Manage Subaccounts.
- In your subaccount menu, select Cloud To On-Premise and choose Add. Maintain the settings as shown below. For Internal Host and Internal Port choose your SAP S/4HANA front-end system host and port. Note down the Virtual Host and Virtual Port, which will be used in the next step.
- In the Resources Of section, click on Add. Expose URLs /sap/opu/odata/sap/API_BUSINESS_SITUATION_SRV and /sap/opu/odata/sap/API_BUS_SITN_MSTRDATA_SRV with Access Policy as Path And All Sub-Paths. For more information, refer to Configure Access Control (HTTP).
Configure Destination on SAP BTP
For SAP S/4HANA Cloud:
- Navigate to Connectivity -> Destinations in your SAP BTP subaccount. Create a new destination that points to the S/4HANA Cloud system. In the destination URL, enter the SAP S/4HANA Cloud API – that you noted down in the previous step. For Authentication, use the Communication user that you’ve created in the previous step.
For SAP S/4HANA:
- In your SAP BTP subaccount, navigate to Connectivity -> Destinations. Create a new destination that points to the SAP S/4HANA system. In the URL of the destination, enter the Virtual Host and Virtual Port which you noted down in the cloud connector section. Use the following format for the URL: http://<Virtual Host>:<Virtual Port>. Enter OnPremise as Proxy Type.
Create Event Mesh Service Instance
- Navigate to the Overview section of the SAP BTP subaccount. If Cloud Foundry is not enabled, click on the Enable Cloud Foundry button and in the dialog box, choose to Create.
- Navigate to Cloud Foundry -> Spaces. Create a new space or reuse an existing space.
- Navigate to Services -> Service Marketplace in your SAP BTP subaccount and search for Event Mesh. Click on create. For Runtime Environment, select Cloud Foundry and for Space the space created in the previous step. Refer to the sample JSON for parameters. Make sure the namespace is saas/isa/cons.
- Navigate to Services -> Instances and Subscriptions. Locate the service instance created in the previous step on the Instances tab. When the service instance creation is completed, click on it to navigate to the details page. Here you need to create a new Service Key. When this is created choose View Credentials and copy the JSON credentials displayed there.
Create Event Channel
For SAP S/4HANA Cloud:
- Log into your SAP S/4HANA Cloud system with the Administrator role. Open Communication Arrangements app and create a new communication arrangement for the SAP_COM_0092 scenario. In the Service Key text box, paste the service key credentials copied from the previous step. Use the same communication user created before.
- Open Maintain Event Channel Binding app. Locate and navigate to the detail page of the event channel created in the previous step. Here, assign the Outbound Topics sap/s4/beh/businesssituation/v1/BusinessSituation/* and sap/s4/beh/businesssituationtype/v1/BusinessSituationType/*
For SAP S/4HANA:
- Log into your SAP S/4HANA back-end system and open transaction /IWXBE/CONFIG. Choose via Service Key and enter the channel, RFC destination name (your preferred SM59 destination name), OAuth 2.0 configuration name (your configuration preferred name. The name must not have been used yet). Paste the service key credentials copied from the previous step in the Service Key text box and choose Save. Make sure the channel is activated and you can press the Check Connection button to verify the connection.
- Open transaction /IWXBE/OUTBOUND_CFG. On the Outbound Binding Configuration UI, choose the channel you’ve created in the previous step and press Create new topic binding. In the Create Outbound Binding dialog box, select the topics sap/s4/beh/business situation/v1/BusinessSituation/* and sap/s4/beh/businesssituationtype/v1/BusinessSituationType/*
Onboard the SAP S/4HANA Cloud or SAP S/4HANA system
- Navigate to Service -> Instances and Subscriptions to locate the subscription to Intelligent Situation Automation and click on it to navigate to the details page. Click on the Go to Application button to launch the Situation Automation Fiori launchpad.
- On the Situation Automation Fiori launchpad, open the Onboard System app. Choose Click here to add a system to onboard the SAP S/4HANA or SAP S/4HANA cloud system. Choose the destination created in the Configure Destination on SAP BTP step. Provide a name and description and choose Create to start the onboarding process.
- Depending on the number of situation instances in the respective system, the onboarding might take some time to finish.
Interested in configuring automation for situation templates?
Check out this link to find the list of supported use cases for Intelligent Situation Automation.
Refer to this blog post to check how you can configure situation automation for Physical Inventory Management.
Where can you find more information?
Exchange knowledge: SAP Community | Blogs
Explore: SAP Product Page | Product Demo | User Guide | Administration Guide
Try Intelligent Situation Automation For Free: Get Started
Special thanks to Vinoth Kumar Vaithianathan for providing the content for this blog.