SAP Analytics Cloud Export Data API Sample Scripts
I’ve written a bunch of Sample Scripts, in Postman, that demonstrate how the ‘export data’ API retrieves data from models stored inside SAP Analytics Cloud. These samples are now available.
This blog first takes a step back and provides an overview of other means and ways to extract data before then introducing the sample scripts themselves. If you are thinking of using the export data API, then these samples and the associated User Guide can remove some barriers to adopting the API since much of the code and logic can easily be re-used and they provide a useful insight into how the API works and behaves.
A number of, currently undocumented but supported features, also form part of these samples. It means the samples and this associated User Guide provide a practical starting point to ensure your coding project gets off to the best start possible.
SAP Analytics Cloud is often chosen as an enterprise planning solution. The planning data, held in SAP Analytics Cloud, occasionally needs to be further integrated in other systems to complete the business planning process in some way or another. This new ‘export data’ API provides another option to the many already existing options that is described now.
There are many means and ways to export data from SAP Analytics Cloud to other systems and these include using the:
- postMessage API call available within Analytic Applications:
- OData service available within Analytic Applications:
- Official documentation: Use an OData Service in Analytic Applications
- Related blog: How to use an S4/Hana OData service in Analytics Designer
- Custom widgets available within Analytic Applications:
- Official documentation: Using Custom Widgets
- Related blog: Quickly integrate SAP Analytics Cloud with other systems using custom widgets
- File export to a shared folder
- Official documentation: Exporting a Model to a File
- Page or widget (table/chart) options to export from within a Story or Application to csv and other formats
A new method is available with SAP Analytics Cloud Q2 2022 Quarterly Release called the ‘export data’ API. This is an extension to the OData standard and allows the retrieval of all the data from acquired models (both analytic and planning models) on a ‘pull’ basis, unlike the above methods which operate on a ‘push’ basis. The official documentation describes it as
… a PULL based API data extraction API that helps with data integration from SAP Analytics Cloud to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, SAP BW, SAP HANA, and other third-party tools. The API doesn’t have a dedicated user-interface, and simply extracts data and information about providers.
These sample scripts, written in Postman, demonstrates each of the API endpoints. The samples are provided on an ‘as is’ basis and they only retrieve data from SAP Analytics Cloud models, they don’t do anything with the data once it’s been retrieved. Though, some of the samples writes the data to the console, but that’s it. It means these samples are just to demonstrate the API endpoints along with many aspects such as how:
- sessions and errors can be managed
- ‘pages’ of data can be retrieved when multiple pages are available (the samples automatically fetch all the pages of data)
- optional request parameters can be used
If you’re using an SAP connector, like the one available within Data Warehouse Cloud and Data Intelligence to directly consume this API then there’s no code to develop, it’s just plug and play (related blog)! However, if you are using your own custom application then you will need to write code.
The list of the samples I’ve provided are:
- Export Data 761-Test-Environment Setup
- Export Data 762-Metadata
- Export Data 763-Namespaces (sets Environment ExportData_NamespaceID)
- Export Data 764-Namespaces ID
- Export Data 765-Namespaces ID Provider
- Export Data 766-Fcj-Provider Metadata
- Export Data 767-Fcj-Service Document
- Export Data 768-Fcj-Fact Data
- Export Data 769-Fcj-Master Data
- Export Data 770-Fcj-Audit Data
- Export Data 771-Fcj-Dimension Master Data
|SAP Analytics Cloud Export Data API Sample Scripts User Guide||Version 0.7 – May 2022
|Samples (the code)||Version 0.7 – April 2022
Github (zip download) Change log
I’ve invested a great deal of time and effort into these materials and so your feedback is very welcome and will help judge if I should continue to create these kind of resources
- Comment if you use these resources in anyway (or if you’re shy, just hit the like button!)
- Share which sample scripts you’ve used. Other customers would love to hear if you’ve used the scripts. It will give them a sense of how reliable they are! 😉
- Share your experience
- Share how much time you saved because of these resources, would you had been as successfully without them?
Before posting any questions please:
- Do read the contents of the User Guide. I appreciate you may not have the time to read it all. If you’re looking for a quick answer and don’t have the time, feel free to post a question to the community rather than here, it will help keep the number of questions here reduced and it will help others find answers easier (than searching this blogs’ Q and A). You can always ‘@tag’ me in your post so I get a notification, and you can always post a link to your question from a comment to this blog if you think that might help others.
- If you’ve got a question about the API in general, then post a question to the community rather than here
Feel free to follow this blog post for updates. I’ll update the version numbers in this blog post when there’s one to update.
Matthew Shaw @MattShaw_on_BI