What can be done if the Fiori Elements preview does not work with the RAP Generator (no popup when pressing “New project”)?
When using the RAP Generator in an on premise system you might face the issue that the SAPUI5 version installed in your on premise system is not new enough.
If the version of the SAPUI5 libraries installed is too old you will get no dialogue asking you for the name of the root entity and for the name of the package when pressing the New Project button in the RAP Generator.
The real solution would be in this case to update the SAPUI5 libraries in your system.
As a workaround that might apply to a test- or sandbox system I used the following hack to force the Fioir Elements preview to use the latest version of the SAPUI5 libraries.
This in turn would mean that tests of your apps would not be valid anymore because the preview would use the latest version rather than the one you have deployed locally.
So this procedure must be handled with care ;-).
When using a SAP ABAP BTP Environement system (aka Steampunk) the classes that are called when using the Fiori Elements preview will always use the latest version.
Since I am testing my RAP Generator in various test systems where the latest SAPUI5 version was not deployed I was looking for a quick (and dirty) workaround.
The workaround is using an implicit enhancement in the method get_sapui5core_resources_url( ) in the class cl_adt_odatav2_feap.
This workaround is only required if (for whatever reason) it is not possible to install the latest SAPUI5 libraries locally on your ABAP on premise system.
- Start transaction SE24 and open the class CL_ADT_ODATAV2_FEAP and double-click on the method get_sapui5core_resources_url.
- In the menue click on Edit > Enhancement operations > Show implicit enhancement options
- In the menue choose Method > Enhance
- Click on the line with the arrow right after the METHOD statement and click on the CREATE button
- In the “Choose Enhancement Mode” dialogue box choose the option “Code”.
- Enter the following values and press the green check mark
- Enhancement Implementation : ZDMO_RAP_GENERATOR_FEAP_O2
- Short text: Use latest SAPUI5 version for OData V2 Fiori Elements preview
- In the “Create object directory” dialogue enter the name of a package (e.g. $TMP) and press “Save”.
- Enter the following two lines of code and press “Save Enhancements” and Activate your changes.
rv_sapui5core_resources_url = 'https://sapui5.hana.ondemand.com/resources/sap-ui-core.js'. return.
Is it applicable to S/4 2020 on prem as well for Fiori dev?
And as I wrote in my update you should go for an update of your SAPUI libraries.
This is just a "hack" for a sandbox or test system.
We have an on premise system; so we are not using the latest SAPUI5 version. We usually want to test using the specific SAPUI5 version we have on our systems. Can we do that with the RAP generator?
I have to correct myself. It might not be the latest version. I have not yet been able to find out which version exactly is needed.
And I have corrected my text.
So you should first try out whether the Generator would work in the preview mode in your system. Hopefully the version of SAPUI5 is recent enough.
The workaround (or better called hack) is only something that could be used in a test or sandbox system since it would block the use of the installed SAPUI5 version when you test your own apps.
Unfortunately I have not been able to come up with a better solution for on prem systems.
However if you or somebody else has a suggestion I would welcome this.
Thanks for this hint. We ran in the same problem with UI5 version 1.90. We now created a Fiori Elements List Report within VSCode and adjusted the UI5 Version to 1.106.0. After this change the Pop-Up appears.
In the screenshot, you can see the necessary configuration line in the ui5.yaml.
We know that this is not the permanent solution as the UI5 version in the system is still too low. But this is sufficient for testing purpose.