Adding Custom Fields using Key User Extensibility for Asset Management
SAP S/4HANA Key User Extensibility has been introduced as an easier way to add additional fields to objects and include them into the respective SAP Fiori UIs just using configuration. This enables key users to make simple adjustments to user interfaces without having to reach out to the IT department. For more details on the Key User Extensibility, check out this blog series by the SAP S/4HANA Regional Implementation Group.
In this blog post, I’ll show some examples of how this is applied to Asset Management. I’ll focus on the Create Maintenance Request application.
Note: The system I am using is a SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2202 environment.
In the Fiori App Maintain Business Users, you must assign your user to one of these standard roles:
|Business Role||Business Role ID as Delivered by SAP|
Use Case #1 – Adding a standard field to the Create Maintenance Request App
At your company, you might want to include new fields to the Create Maintenance Request app for a user to populate when raising a Maintenance Request. In this scenario lets assume that you want to give users the option to choose the Notification Type.
- Navigate to the app Create Maintenance Request and open the Adapt UI option in the User Actions menu
2. In the UI Adaptions screen, click where you want to add the new field to be placed and choose the option Add Field
3. By default you are shown a list of the available fields that can be added based on the underlying Business Content (Maintenance Notification). Search for Notification Type and add it to your app
4. The Notification Type field has been added to your Create Maintenance Request Application, you can then save and publish your changes.
Use Case #2 – Adding a Custom field to the Create Maintenance Request App
In this scenario lets pretend that you want to give users the option to enter a Maintenance Recommendation when they are creating the Maintenance request. This is a custom field over and above the standard.
1. Start by repeating the same steps as mentioned in the first use case to:
- Navigate to the app Create Maintenance Request
- Choose Adapt UI
- Clicking where you want the field to be placed and choosing Add Field
3. This navigates you to the Custom Fields and Logic App and shows details of any existing Custom Fields that have been created for Maintenance Notifications. Click the + Icon to create a new field
4. Populate the details of the new field
5. The Recommendation field is saved and published by the Custom Fields and Logic Application automatically
6. The new field is now able to be selected in the Available Content screen
7. Save and publish your changes
The Final Result
- A Notification Type field where a user can use a drop down box to select from a list of configured Notification Types.
- A Recommendation field where a user can use 200 characters of free text to propose a maintenance recommendation to the Maintenance Planner.
What have we learned?
You have learned how a Business or Functional User can make basic UI changes to the Asset Management applications using the Key User Extensibility concept in SAP S/4 HANA.
If you have any questions, the Q&A area at the SAP S/4HANA Cloud for Asset Management community is a great starting point for all members to see and respond to all queries.
Thanks for making this blog post.
I had to use this role, SAP_UI_FLEX_KEY_USER, to get the Adapt UI option to show up.