SAP HANA, express edition and SAP HANA smart data integration – Complete Tutorial
Setup an environment to try and test the SAP HANA smart data integration on one individual device.
Reason of the Article
There are many documentations available which can be used to achieve the task. The aim of this article to collect these sites together and complete the available information with important details. Also, this is a step-by-step guide which goes through the process.
The definitions of the components (Data Provisioning Server, Data Provisioning Agent) and the architecture is available here:
In my scenario I am using Windows 10 operating system on my laptop. I am running SAP HANA, express edition (preconfigured) Server + applications virtual machine on VMware Workstation.
- Hypervisor (VMware Workstation Player 16)
- SAP HANA, express edition (version: 2.00.057)
Install SAP HANA 2.0, express edition on a Preconfigured Virtual Machine (with SAP HANA XS Advanced)
- SAP HANA Studio (version: 2.3.63)
Enable Data Provisioning Server
Enable the Data Provisioning Server to use SAP HANA smart data integration.
- Configure the Data Provisioning Server
- 2568617 – How to enable and add dpserver
- 2514575 – How to enable the Data Provisioning Server? – SAP HANA Smart Data Integration
ALTER DATABASE HXE ADD 'dpserver' AT LOCATION 'hxehost';
In case if needs to revert:
- 2812710 – How to disable Data Provisioning Server in Multi-database Container Scenario
ALTER DATABASE HXE REMOVE 'dpserver' AT LOCATION 'hxehost:39046';
Download and Install Data Provisioning Agent
To download and install Data Provisioning Agent find the below documentation:
Data Provisioning Agent Service on Windows
The service can be run under Local System user.
Failed to start Dpagentconfigtool
- 2916079 – Failed to start Dpagentconfigtool due to error: Failed to load the JNI share library – SAP Smart Data Integration
In my case one of the installers were missing (Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable x64) so I had to download and install it manually.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x64
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable x64
Configure Data Provisioning Agent
The configuration can be done only the command line Configuration Tool (Agent version 18.104.22.168).
Note: Data Provisioning Agent Graphical Mode had been deprecated!
DPAgent Configuration Tool
cd C:\usr\sap\dataprovagent\bin C:\usr\sap\dataprovagent\bin>agentcli -configAgent
- Checking the Agent Version
- Setup SAP HANA Connection (JDBC)
- Setup Agent Registration
- Setup Adapter Registration
- Check the registered adapters
- Check the configuration
Configure Secure Storage
The configuration can be done by command line tool.
– – > Step 4: Configure an access token
Secure Storage Utility
cd C:\usr\sap\dataprovagent\bin C:\usr\sap\dataprovagent\bin>agentcli --setSecureProperty
Set the File Adapter Access Token “HANAToken”
Prepare a file
– – > Step 5: Prepare a file for upload
This is the default directory in my case. ReadMe.txt and sample file were already in the directory.
Create a Remote Source
I have done this step in SAP HANA Studio not in SAP HANA database explorer.
– – > Step 6: Create a Remote Source
I have created a separate REMOTE_DATA schema.
The data is available in SAP HANA server.
To setup and configure the SAP HANA smart data integration on your device is an easy and quick task. In this tutorial I have registered the ExcelAdaper and the FileAdapter but as the list shows there are many other possibilities available.
Q&A link for SAP HANA, express edition: https://answers.sap.com/tags/73555000100800000651