Overlay Authoring Tool in Line Monitor (SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud- Release 2202)
In this blog post, I would like to introduce you to the latest offering of Overlay Authoring Tool used in Line Monitor from SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud (Release 2202). LM is not an official SAP abbreviation and I will refer Line Monitor as LM for the sake of brevity and easiness to read. OAT is not an official SAP abbreviation and I will refer Overlay Authoring Tool as OAT for the sake of brevity and easiness to read. OAT is generally available and ready to be consumed since Release 2202 of SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud. It is one of the pre-delivered tiles in the Dashboard of SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud.
To know more about LM and how it can be designed and run- Refer to my earlier blogpost Line Monitor: Steps (Texts and Screenshots based) to Design and Run [Release 2111 of SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud].
Overall Context and Business Needs
OAT can be used within LM as a 2D pictorial representation of Floor Plan (of a plant/factory, for example), consisting of one or more work centers overlayed by different shapes. Production supervisor can have a holistic view of factory floor plan with status/KPIs changing and represented in the image for various work centers, for multiple perspectives like Production, Quality, Asset, OEE. As such, LM already had grid view of various perspectives and OAT adds pictorial representation of the same view in far more intuitive and user friendly way. As of now only 2D image (and representation) can be used in OAT and only one image per project is possible. As indicated earlier in different blog, both LM and OAT work together for process industry only.
From role perspective, SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud Consultant would design and publish Project using OAT, to depict work centers in a 2D image. Project is a logical entity coming out of OAT, consisting of 2D image, overlays, plant, work center assignment etc.
Again, Consultant in SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud would design and publish LM POD with above created Project, using POD Designer.
Production Supervisor from a manufacturing company uses SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud for Execution and would like to monitor production progress on Production, Quality, Asset, and OEE perspectives using LM POD and its Floor Plan view for various work centers (depicted in a 2D image).
Create Project in OAT
OAT is used to create Project where work centers (within a plant) can be overlayed on a 2D image of floor plan of a plant. Typically, the designing and publishing of Project in OverLay Editor is done by a SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud consultant, who knows how to use OAT. With SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud release 2202, OAT is generally available for consumption.
Follow the steps below to create and save a Project:
- Open SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud dashboard and fined Overlay Authoring Tool (OAT) and open it. SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud dashboard has prebuilt tile for Overlay Authoring Tool (OAT). Click on this tile and new screen for project creation shall open.
- In next screen, existing projects will be listed and a new project can also be created by clicking Create button.
- In New Project window, give Project Name and Description and press Create. Once Create button is clicked, Project is created and saved.
- In next screen, Add image file using Add Image button.
- Image can be chosen from existing image in the image explorer or it can be uploaded from local computer and uploaded.
- Uploaded image is seen along with existing (if any) overlay icons (rectangle, circle, freehand).Visualize the uploaded image, position it as per your choice, zoom-in, zoom out etc.
- Click on Rectangle border button and draw it (overlay) in one the sections in the uploaded 2D image.
- Click on Dimension button to see used overlays on the left. Click on the information button to see project details on the right. Click on Save button to save this project.
- Newly created project (along with other projects- if any) is displayed in the list (table or grid view).
- Projects can also be displayed in grid view.
Assign Project to Line Monitor using POD Designer
- Open POD Designer. Look for two new plugins (Image Overlay and WorkCentre Overview Plugin)
- Use existing Line Monitor POD or create a new one. In each overview tab (of Production, Quality, Asset, OEE perspectives), add image overlay plugin and add created project in its configuration. Tick the checkbox if you want Image Overlay Plugin to display first when open LM.
- Click on Assign Overview Plugin and assign appropriate perspective (e.g. Production) and fill other settings as shown.
- Click on Assign Fill Color Plugin and assign appropriate runtime plugin (e.g. Work Center Overlay Fill Color Execution Plugin). Save and publish this POD
Run Line Monitor (LM) POD with OAT Project (Floor Plan View)
- Open SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud dashboard and click on the published tile of Line Monitor POD. Floor Plan view of Production perspective will be displayed with uploaded image. On top right, there are two buttons- using which one can toggle between Floor Plan and Line View.
- Click on the overlayed work center and it will display Overview tile of that work center in the current perspective (Production). Clicking on View Dashboard shall display Detailed Contents for the current perspective (Production).
- You can go to Floor Plan view of other perspectives (Quality, Asset, OEE). Below is one of the examples on how it could look like for OEE perspective:
As you might have already noticed, Overlay Authoring Tool (OAT) used in conjunction with Line Monitor (LM) product of SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud Release 2202 is a path breaking application for monitoring your production process for various perspectives (Production, Quality, Asset, OEE), in 2D visual representation. OAT represents Floor Plan view of one or more work centers in a given plant and it complements already delivered grid view of LM in 2111 release. As such both OAT and LM can be used in process industry only. With more and more features coming in towards future releases, do watch this space for more updates.
As is clear, even the best of best products need enhancements, enrichments, upgrades to keep up with technology and ever changing customer requirements. In that context, I would welcome all the feedbacks, thoughts, comments, suggestions on product improvements/ new features from our esteemed readers, customer, partners, colleagues on this blog post of OAT. You may also use component MFG-DM-MI-LM to send your feedback (or for incident reporting) on the usage of OAT.
I also would request and encourage you to follow tags and my profile to be first one to know about latest and greatest on OAT and LM.
You can also look at QnA in following communities and ask questions as well. Also don’t forget to include tags of OAT, Overlay Authoring Tool, LM, and Line Monitor in your question(s). I would also encourage you to follow the tag (and/or me), so you receive email notifications with upcoming content of mine and other community members:
Again, thanks for reading this blog post and posting all the feedbacks, thoughts, comments, suggestions on product improvements/ new features.