How to Group BOM Items in Manage Multilevel BOM App
Grouping of BOM items is used for simplifying a large bill of material. We’ve implemented this feature in the Manage Multilevel Bill of Material app as part of the 2202 SAP S/4HANA Cloud release.
The BOM item grouping in multilevel BOM allows the BOM engineers to:
- Manage a large BOM and classify it into smaller chunks.
- Represent the modular structure of the product in a multilevel BOM
- Structure and organize the BOM in the multilevel hierarchy without any need to create subassemblies.
- Group the items describing a single product or multiple similar products.
You can also:
- Assign or unassign single or multiple items to a group.
- Include other groups, assemblies, or items within a group.
- Shift one or multiple BOM items between different groups.
- Duplicate a group within the same BOM.
- Export the multilevel hierarchy table with groups to the spreadsheet application.
Note that this is different from the concept of the BOM group. You can find more info here.
How to Use
To begin with, ensure that you’re in edit mode. Then, select the BOMs from the multilevel hierarchy table that you want to group. The system enables the Manage Group button with options on the UI.
Figure 1 – Displaying Manage Group with options
You can use the following options:
- Group – To create a group.
When you choose this option, you are required to fill in details for creating a group.
Figure 2 – Create Group Dialog Box
Here, you enter the name and description of the group. The Parent Group Name field isn’t mandatory for the BOM item at the top level. The selected BOMs appear in the BOM Component field.
On choosing the Create option, the system creates the BOM groups in the multilevel hierarchy table with the name and description as provided earlier.
- Edit – If you’ve missed any components or subassemblies to add to the existing group, you can use the Edit option. You can update the name and description of the group.
- Ungroup – If you don’t want any existing BOMs or components to be grouped, you can use the Ungroup option. Once you ungroup, all the components are reverted to their original state in the multilevel hierarchy table.
In this blog post, you’ve learned how to use the BOM grouping feature in the Manage Multilevel Bill of Material app.
To see how this feature works, check out this video.
#Tell it like it is
We would like to hear from you. Feel free to direct your questions, feedback, or suggestions in the comments section.