Overcoming CPM Financial Planning Hurdle for Activity Resource Type
The Inspiration to write this blog is based on my personal experience and typical business needs ( Specifically EC&O and Project Based Industry ) where Business have Project Specific Estimated Cost Rate
Business Requirement :
Business have Project Specific Estimate Cost Rate for Human/Labour/Equipment Resource Type (Activity Type)
SAP CPM Financial Planning does not support Project Specific Rate by using Different Cost Center ( project specific ) and Activity type as it is fetching Cost Center from CPM Organization Profile.
Its really frustrating behavior of system, as Standard PS Easy Cost Planning and Unit Cost Methods has this capability where we can use Different combination of Cost Center/Activity Type.
For Bridging this gap, we have figured out below small enhancement and related configuration where Cost Center will be fetched from associated / mapped PS Project.
Lets get into it.
- Enhancement in BADI
Sample Code >>
- Resource Type for Activity Type
- Selected RescTypeID is custom one which will fetch rate based on above logic.
- Make Settings for Valuation Method
- Custom Implementation class assignment to custom valuation method
- Make Settings for Valuation Strategies
- Assignment of Custom Valuation method to custom valuation strategy
* Key figure mapping with custom Valuation method id
- Plan Scenario
- Assignment of Custom Valuation Strategy to planning function under custom resource type id
- CPM Organization Profile
- PS Project Builder
- Cost Center/Activity Type Rates
- CPM Workbook with Standard Activity Resource Type
- Rate is based on Organization Profile Cost Center Combination
- CPM Workbook with Custom Activity Resource Type
- Rate is based on PS Project Cost Center Combination
By performing the above steps, we were able to fetch different cost rate of Activity Resource Type based on Project Specific Cost Center.
I would like to thank my colleague Mr. Vedprasanna Nayak and Mr. Rajagopal S for their contribution.
Please, let me know if anyone have doubt or I missed something.
Your suggestions are most welcome.
Akash, very nice and helpful blog. I agree this is an issue with CPM where the activity type rate determination is overly simplified.
Let me propose another solution that I prototyped at a client. You can add a new Characteristic to the PFP Planning Cube called Cost Center. Then enhance the planning workbook and add Cost Center as a new Key Figure to the input query. Finally modify the Valuation Method to pull the Cost Center from the Line Item. With this approach the Cost Center is entered by the planner on each line. It doesn't automatically determine the cost center like your solution. Automatic is better if the client uses a consistent process.
Thanks for your valuable input.
I really like this artifact by Mr.Akash. This will be particularly useful for me and others who are interested and those who are facing these scenarios in live projects. I also thank Mr.Ken for adding valuable input.