Product Compliance in SAP S/4HANA 2021 – Part 3
Regulations require companies that sell and ship products containing hazardous substances to provide information for safe handling – usually as safety data sheets and labels. SAP S/4HANA for product compliance helps you comply with these requirements by supporting the process of collecting and determining information and automating the creation and shipping of those documents.
This solution enables you to centrally manage all substance and regulatory information and leverage provided regulatory content. By using rule sets and templates, you can automate the product classification and creation of compliance documents for all regions and countries.
All information required for safety data sheets and labels is centrally created and stored to ensure data on all documents and labels are always in sync. The solution automatically ships safety data sheets and redistributes updated versions using integration with logistics processes such as sales and distribution.
In this blog series, I will give you an engineering expert view of some selected highlights for product compliance of our SAP S/4HANA 2021 for Product Compliance.
The blog is built as a series of 3 parts and present the key highlights for:
- Part 1: Foundation for Product Compliance
- Part 2: Dangerous Goods Management
- Part 3: Safety Data Sheet Management.
In my last blog, you can find information on functions that are used to efficiently communicate Safety Datasheets and Label Hazards. To name just a few highlights that we have in store in the new release:
- Management of Hazardous Ingredients Information
- Management of Information about Accidental Release Measures
- Management of Information about Components with Occupational Exposure Limits
- Management of Information about Storage Class
- Management of Information about SARA Hazard Classification
- … and more.
- All these innovations will also be available for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition.
- You will find in this blog demos related to SAP S/4HANA Cloud, but the functionalities described in these demos also correspond to SAP S/4HANA 2021.
The safety data sheet should provide comprehensive information about a substance or mixture for use in workplace chemical control regulatory frameworks. Both employers and workers use it as a source of information about hazards, including environmental hazards, and to obtain advice on safety precautions. The safety data sheet is product related and usually, in the absence of relevant attached exposure scenarios, unable to provide specific information that is relevant for any given workplace where the product may finally be used, although where products have specialized end uses the safety data sheet information may be more worker specific. The information, therefore, enables the employer to develop an active program of worker protection measures, including training, which is specific to the individual workplace; and to consider any measures that may be necessary to protect the environment.
With Safety Data Sheet Management, you can organize the legally required safety data sheets, in defined translations, by country/region and regulation. Without the provisioning of a safety data sheet, products cannot be sold into markets.
Safety Data Sheet Management is integrated into checks documents in the value chain, such as stock transfer orders, sales orders, and delivery notes, to prevent products from being sold into markets if the required safety data sheets are not available. If the required safety data sheets for a product are not available, a warning is raised, the person responsible for the document is informed, and the product steward specialist receives a request to provide the missing data.
Contact Data for Safety Data Sheets (SDS), section 1
With the SAP S/4HANA 2021 release, we enable customers to manage data for SDS section 1 for safety data sheets, labels, and reports. You can also use this data for the classification of products according to different hazardous substances or dangerous goods regulations.
Can now enter and edit address data as well as the emergency phone number for safety data sheets. In addition, you can also enter a logo that has been selected from the Manage Logo app. This information is required in section 1.3 of a safety data sheet and can also be used for the cover sheet when shipping safety data sheets.
Just as a reminder:
Section 1: here you provide the identification of the chemical as well as the recommended uses. It also provides the essential contact information of the supplier.
Figure 1: Enable customers to manage data for SDS section 1 for safety data sheets, labels, and reports.
New SAP Fiori apps to maintain data for safety data sheets (SDS), sections 3, 7, 8 and 15
With the SAP S/4HANA 2021release, you can enter and release hazardous ingredients, occupational exposure limits, SARA hazard classification data, and storage class data for products.
The new SAP Fiori apps to:
- Management of Hazardous Ingredients information: With this feature, you can enter information on hazardous ingredients of an unpackaged product based on the legal composition or the analytical composition. This information is needed for section 3 of a safety data sheet.
- Management of storage class data: With this feature, you can add Storage Class data to an unpackaged product in the Manage Storage Class app. You can update the data to ensure that it stays compliant. Once you have provided the data, you can release it for further use. This information is needed for section 7 of a safety data sheet.
- Management of occupational exposure limits: With this feature, you can add occupational exposure limits data to an unpackaged product in the Manage Occupational Exposure Limits app. You can update the data to ensure it stays compliant. Once you have provided the occupational exposure limits data, you can release it for further use. This information is needed for section 8 of a safety data sheet.
- Management of SARA hazard classification: With this feature, you can add SARA Hazard Classification Data and Storage Class Data to an unpackaged product in the Manage SARA Hazard Classification app. You can update the data to ensure that it stays compliant. Once you have provided the data, you can release it for further use. This information is needed for section 15 of a safety data sheet.
Demo 1: Management of occupational exposure (note: no audio voice available).
For additional detail, see Safety Data Sheet – Related Assessments
New SAP Fiori apps to maintain data for safety data sheets (SDS), sections 9 and 10
With the SAP S/4HANA 2021 release, we enable customers to manage data for SDS sections 9 and 10 for safety data sheets, labels, and reports. You can also use this data for the classification of products according to different hazardous substances or dangerous goods regulations.
Just as a reminder:
- Section 9: here you provide information on the Basic Physical and Chemical Properties like Flashpoint or Flammability.
- In Section 10 you describe the reactivity hazards of the chemical and the chemical stability information.
Figure 2: Enable customers to manage data for SDS sections 9 and 10 for safety data sheets, labels, and reports.
You can use this app to:
- Edit and release the physical-chemical properties of an unpackaged product.
- Enter and edit numerical values and ranges of physical-chemical properties of an unpackaged product, such as particle size, particle size distribution, density, viscosity, solutions, pH, phase transitions, and many more.
- Enter and edit numerical values and ranges of safety-related properties of an unpackaged product, such as burning rate, minimum ignition energy, thermal decomposition temperature, and many more.
- For some fields, type a value and select from the approved phrase list, such as assessment of flammability of liquids, methods for closed cup and open cup, and so on.
- For some fields, type a value and select from the approved phrase list, such as state of matter, odor, color, and so on.
- Delete the in-progress version of the physical-chemical properties of an unpackaged product.
- Set data to Not Applicable or to No Data Available.
- The phrases in the Additional Statement field can be extended with the Manage Phrase-Enabled Fields app.
- View the details of the released physical-chemical properties of an unpackaged product.
- Create a new version of released physical-chemical properties.
New SAP Fiori apps to maintain data for safety data sheets (SDS), sections 6, 11 and 12
- SDS, section 6: New SAP Fiori app to manage accidental release measures data for unpacked products: Here you must inform about the methods of cleaning and the precautions to be taken
- SDS, section 11: New SAP Fiori app to manage toxicological information for substances: Here you must list the toxicological indications of the product. Specifically, you must indicate the adverse health effects according to the different routes of exposure (inhalation, ingestion, projection, etc.).
- SDS, section 12: New SAP Fiori app to manage ecological information for unpacked products and substances: Here, you must specify the ecotoxicity of the product as well as its mobility, persistence, and degradability.
- Release concept to control when information is ready to be used
- Use of translated standardized texts (phrases) to maintain information
- Option to provide additional notes and attachments for further explanation of the information entered
Figure 3: Overview example about accidental release measures data (SDS, section 6).
For additional detail, see Safety Data Sheet – Related Assessments
Support of Manual Shipment of Safety Data Sheets
In many countries, the regulation specifies that chemical manufacturers or importers shall ensure that distributors and employers are provided an appropriate safety data sheet with their initial shipment, and with the first shipment after a safety data sheet is updated. In the same way, the chemical manufacturer or importer shall also provide distributors or employers with a safety data sheet upon request.
Now with the SAP S/4HANA 2021 release, we fulfill this legal requirement and we enhanced the Compliance Information for Products app, used shows information about the availability of safety data sheets for the different countries and regions, with a new feature in which you can manually start the shipment process for a safety data sheet to a business partner.
Demo 2: Provides new possibilities for shipping safety data sheets to customers (including audio).
Work view for safety data sheet maintenance
With this feature, you can get an overview of the data available in the system for a given raw material or unpackaged product. The data is organized similarly to a safety data sheet – it is grouped and sorted identically. This allows you to easily manage the data received from your suppliers and maintain it in the system.
Figure 4: Simplify the data management processes for all SDS-relevant data, by grouping and ordering the data identically to SDS sections.
You can use this app to:
- View the safety data sheet relevant data for a raw material that is available in the system.
- View the processing status of the data.
- View the person who is currently assigned to work on the data.
- Navigate within the sections and update the data based on information from the supplier.
Thanks for reading this blog post. Stay tuned!
If you are also interested in other Line of Business, I would like to draw your attention to my link collection blog – The Link Collection
If you want to learn more and actively engage with SAP subject matter experts on SAP S/4HANA Cloud, join our SAP S/4HANA Cloud Customer Community. This platform which is available to SAP S/4HANA Cloud customers and partners has a clear mission: deliver an interactive community to engage with one another about best practices and product solutions.
For more information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA 2021, check out the following links:
- SAP S/4HANA release info: sap.com/s4hana
- SAP S/4HANA Community here
- The Link Collection for Product Compliance here
- SAP S/4HANA PSCC Digital Enablement Wheel here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- Join the SAP S/4HANA Movement
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA here
- Help Portal Product Page here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here