Automatic Requisition update based on Position field changes
This article shows how fields within a requisition can be updated automatically once a position has been updated.
There have been many a times that organisations have updated the position fields after a requisition has been created (or manually created and position detail added later) – resulting in either a manual activity to keep the requisition in sync or leaving them be out of sync until EC/Onboarding kicks in.
With this article the aim is to show how to keep the requisition in sync with position.
- EC Position Management
- Std_position_obj in Recruiting requisition template and to have position details populated in the requisition(2911099 – Support of Position GO on Job Requisition and Job Offer – Recruiting Management – SAP ONE Support Launchpad)
- Rules in Recruiting
- Integration Centre
For my example, I have assumed the Company (Legal Entity), Division (Business Unit), Department and Location to be the fields that need to be kept in sync. However, any field supported in the usual business rule from position to requisition creation, can be used.
Let us assume that I have created my requisition from position management – by click on create requisition from within the position, and then gone ahead with the usual route map for approval and now that the requisition is live. Through the course of hiring, the organisation has decided to move this position to a new department and location. Now according to the standard build, the requisition will be out of sync compared to the position and hence needs to be updated – and here comes business rules and Integration Centre!
My existing position when the requisition was created:
My requisition when it was created:
Now, the position after the org changes (notice department and location have been updated):
The business rule used to map the fields:
Config update in Manage Rules in Recruiting:
I have added this as a save rule that way we can trigger the rule on regular intervals using Integration Centre.
I have used SuccessFactors as the source and destination (Odata V2, scheduled job). The started entity in this case is Job Requisition.
You only need to map the req id (please note it is better to always use this only for approved and/or closed reqs, as open reqs might not have all the fields populated).
Also, I would only want the requisition to be updated if the linked position has been updated. For this condition, in Filters, I have added the ‘Change Date’ of the std_position_obj within the requisition to be checked with the last run date/time.
For scheduling, you can only run this once everyday or weekly or monthly or yearly.
Requisition after the Integration Centre job run:
Points to note:
- Std_position_obj is a pre-requisite like mentioned before. This automated update will not work with any other position options within the requisition.
- Preferably use this integration only for approved and closed requisitions as open requisitions which are pending approval, sometimes do not have all mandatory fields filled in, which will result in Integration centre throwing an error.
- Care should be taken, and detailed discussions need to be held with the talent acquisition team before implementing this solution as the business rule is a ‘On-Save’ rule, which means even if business users are tying to update any field within the requisition, this rule will be triggered. So, if a recruiter/recruiting operator, has a business reason to change some of the fields within the requisition to not match the position, this rule will make sure it reverts it!
- With Integration Centre scheduling – Daily executions are not supported as this requires the update/last modified date to be in the requisition, however in our case the change is in the position rather than the requisition.
- Intelligent services, from what I have checked this cannot be triggered through this because
- ‘Position Update’ – The base object in intelligent ‘services is automatically assumed as ‘Position’, but the position object does not store requisition details, so wouldn’t be able to map for requisition to be updated.
- ‘Requisition Update’ – The requisition is not updated in the first place; the position is updated for which we require the position to be updated.
Hope this helps in understand the steps required to automate the updates to requisition when a linked position is updated. Please share your feedback/ views on the same. You can find more details on Recruiting questions and answers from other fellow community members over here: All Questions in SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting | SAP Community