Profitability and Performance Management (PaPM) – Using parameter in the File Adapter function
PaPM is a versatile application. Unlike many traditional SAP modules (like FICO) which runs based on configuration, PaPM works like building blocks. Using these building blocks, we can build a solution/environment in our own way for variety of business requirements and scenarios.
While designing an environment in PaPM, our focus will be mainly on getting results as per business requirement. Nevertheless, we should also keep in mind certain aspects while designing an environment. It includes and not limited to performance, memory usage, flexibility and keep it simple.
In this blog, will bring one such tip which significantly reduced my efforts in a real-life project.
Let’s consider a scenario wherein business wants to perform cost allocation based on the data provided in an external file. Solution in this scenario is simple, use File Adapter function to pick the file (file name is provided in the field File Name) from the server and process as configured in the function. Get the allocation basis data into PaPM and use it in the Allocation function.
Let’s add more to this scenario.
- The same logic of allocation holds good for all the entities of the business; however, the teams are different for each entity.
- The same logic of allocation is used for both plan and actual.
When we have provided file name in the field File Name, it like hard coded. The function refers to the same file name for all the entities both for plan and actual. With this solution we must either,
- Ask all the users to maintain data in the same file for their respective entities with entity and plan/actual identifier column. Or
- Create multiple functions (actual and plan).
When a single file is maintained by multiple users of multiple entities, it not only exposes data to unauthorized users, but also make it confusing and create chance of tampering.
When it comes to having multiple function, it is always suggested to keep the number of functions as less as possible. This will not only benefit users by allowing them to learn less and easy to maintain, but also significantly influence the memory usage and performance of PaPM.
As a solution to this rather than maintaining static file name, maintain a Parameter in the File Name field of File Adapter function.
Later while defining the process and deploying the same in Fiori App: Processes – Manage & Deploy, provide the file name against the Parameter.
By using parameter as a File Name in File Adapter function;
- It gives flexibility to the users to use their own file name and avoid hard coding.
- Same function can be used by multiple company codes/business units without having to maintain data in common file. They can define their own process and maintain their own file.
- Same function can be used for both actual and plan, where logic remains same. This effectively reduces number of functions.
In some case, parameter works when executed through GUI, but not when run from Fiori app ‘My Activities’. In such case implement below SAP Note;
3082203 – FS-PER Rel 3.0 SP15 – Using a parameter as a Filename is not working in File Adapter Import
Hope you find this blog and tip helpful.