SAP Screen Personas roadmap update December 2021 – moving to the cloud
As we look forward to 2022, it’s time to update the roadmap for SAP Screen Personas. Our goal is to help you plan your UX transformation projects along with any other SAP-related upgrades that might be on your list. As always, we prioritize our investment decisions based on customer impact, so your feedback drives our innovations. We greatly value the ongoing dialogue with our customers and partners, as it presents an opportunity to learn how you are using the product.
SAP Screen Personas is closely tied to SAP S/4HANA
Organizationally, the SAP Screen Personas development team is still part of SAP UX Engineering. This allows us to take advantage of the synergies with SAP Fiori elements and SAP Fiori tools, since all three of these products are aimed at improving the user experience for SAP’s ERP customers. We roll into SAP S/4HANA, which makes sense, since we bring the value of personalization and simplification to our customers. Collaboration with our colleagues across the SAP S/4HANA organization leads us to our latest (planned*) innovation.
Adapt the UI for classic applications in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
For the past decade, SAP’s ERP customers could improve their user experience using SAP Screen Personas. Soon, we are planning to make SAP Screen Personas available to simplify classic applications in SAP S/4HANA Cloud, which is our public cloud version of our flagship ERP system. “Classic applications” refers to the SAP GUI screens that do not yet have a corresponding SAP Fiori app based on SAPUI5.
Specifically, we are planning to make the following capabilities available in SAP S/4HANA Cloud:
- Flavor editor
- Script editor
- Template editor
- The ability for authorized users to select flavors
There are a few key differences between the SAP Screen Personas add-on and the version that will be part of SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
- SAP Screen Personas will be pre-installed into SAP S/4HANA Cloud, unlike the current add-on that you install into your ECC or SAP S/4HANA system.
- Theming will come from SAP S/4HANA Cloud using the UI Theme Designer, so we will not include the SAP Screen Personas theme editor in the version for SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
- Since the personalization capabilities will be a core part of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud offering, we will not include the SAP Screen Personas branding. Access to the personalization capabilities will be through the “Adapt UI” feature (same wording used for SAPUI5 flexibility that allows you to move fields around in SAP Fiori apps) rather than the familiar blue “P” pulldown at the top of the screen.
- The admin functions will be adjusted, since this is not a separate add-on, but integrated with SAP S/4HANA Cloud identity and access management. You will still assign flavors to roles in the system, but in a different way.
For SAP S/4HANA Private Cloud, since you control the complete environment, you install the SAP Screen Personas add-on, similar to how you would in an on-premise system. This means that screen personalization and simplification capabilities are available to anyone that wants them, regardless of how they choose to move to the cloud (or stay on-prem).
We are working on a new openSAP course on how to “Adapt the UI for classic applications in SAP S/4HANA.” It will include all the latest SAP Screen Personas functionality for SAP S/4HANA Cloud. (We also plan to include units for on-prem SAP S/4HANA and ECC systems). We are planning to release the course in mid-2022.
SAP Screen Personas 3.0 continues to evolve
With all the work to bring SAP Screen Personas into SAP S/4HANA Cloud, we still made time to add new functionality for our existing customers. In addition to planning for the release of SP14 later this year, we have several other innovations listed on our roadmap. We will continue to make SAP Screen Personas easier to use.
We position SAP Screen Personas as an easy way to simplify screens to improve usability, which it is. However, there is always room for improvement. We’re working on providing more documentation, tutorials, and how-to videos so you can make the best use of the product.
Aligning with the evolving SAP Fiori design system is another development area. We will be adding support for the Horizon theme to SAP Screen Personas when Horizon becomes available in SAP S/4HANA.
Longer term, we, like almost every other part of SAP, are looking at how to integrate machine learning and artificial intelligence to do more of the work for you when creating flavors.
How you can influence the roadmap
- Tell us what you want to see in future versions. It can be ideas for new features or a story about what you want the product to do that it cannot today. Leave us a comment below or send us an email.
- Attend the monthly SAP Screen Personas practitioner forum to see how other customers use SAP Screen Personas to improve employee productivity. There is generally a customer demo each month, SAP tutorial, and discussion about technical topics. Register for the SAP Screen Personas practitioner forum.
Where to learn more
- Take one of our openSAP courses. By taking the introduction, advanced, and mobile courses, many customers have renovated their SAP user experience without any additional assistance from us.
- Visit the SAP help portal for SAP Screen Personas, which includes all our documentation in a convenient, searchable format.
For the SAP UX Engineering team, Peter Spielvogel.
* This blog contains forward-looking statements about SAP‘s strategy and possible future developments. This information is subject to change and may be changed by SAP at any time for any reason without notice.