Burst story to deliver personalized content to each recipients based on their respective data authorization
With the latest release on Wave 2021.24 for Fast track Tenants and for Quarterly release Tenants cycle with 2022 Q1 QRC SAP Analytics Cloud which support scheduling publication of type broadcast will enhance its capability to support bursting capabilities.
Scheduling a story in bursting mode will deliver personalized content to each recipient based on their respective data authorization. Fundamentally, story will get data from the data sources on which is created for each recipient based on their respective data authorization, download in the selected format and delivered to user over email.
Broadly, you can schedule story in two ways
Broadcast: This will deliver copy of story in the selected format (eg pdf or ppt) to all recipient of the view based on scheduler data authorization. For each view within a schedule unique copy of the story is generated in the selected format and delivered to user. Basically, in broadcast each view constitute of one publication as same artifact is getting delivered to all recipients within the same view.
Bursting: This will deliver personalized copy of the story in the selected format to each recipient based on recipient’s respective data authorization. For Non-SAC users it will still deliver the story in the selected format based on scheduler data authorization. Consider Story is a bank statement and when each user opens and see their respective data, if this story is burst then each user will get the story output which they view while opening the story manually. Basically, in case of bursting, one view can have N +1 publication where N is equal to number of SAC user and +1 is if there are any Non-SAC user.
Point to remember:
- If the Story is created based on connection whose credentials are saved then all recipients open the story based on same credentials and same copy is delivered so it is expected to run schedule of type bursting with SSO connection.
- SAC recipients should have view access to story/bookmark to get successfully delivered.
Scheduling story with saved and SSO connections
Scheduling Story based on Live connection with Saved credentials
- Story output file (PDF/PPTX) will be generated once with saved user data authorization on the remote DB and will be delivered to all recipients
- For each recipients, Story output file (PDF/PPTX) will be generated once with saved user data authorization on the remote DB and will be delivered once per recipients. This means unique artifact is generated for each recipients but data would be same however it will apply profile setting of the recipients.
- It is not recommended to burst a story based on live connection with saved credentials as one output file per recipient is generated with same data, it better to use broadcast in this case unless there are specific case.
Scheduling Story based on Live connection with SSO
- Story output file (PDF/PPTX) will be generated once with scheduler data authorization on the remote DB and will be delivered to all recipients
- For each recipients, Story output file (PDF/PPTX) based on each recipient data authorization on the remote DB will be generated and will be delivered to respective recipients
Enabling bursting feature in the tenant
We have admin configuration which allow admin to control if the feature is required or not, by default this is switched off which mean the feature will not be available but can be enabled from the System à Administration
Create Bursting task
To create a schedule of type burst, most of the setting remains as it is for broadcast and we introduced radio button to select the schedule type
Rest of the settings remains as broadcast and details are available in the blog https://blogs.sap.com/2020/02/20/schedule-publications-for-your-stories-and-analytics-applications-in-sap-analytics-cloud/