My Top 3 picks on the SAP BW/4HANA 2021 Release
SAP continues to innovate Data Warehousing to enable the Intelligent Enterprise. While SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is SAP’s strategic target solution for all data warehousing use cases, in line with our data-to-value portfolio strategy, SAP BW/4HANA remains a key solution in SAP’s portfolio, with long-term support commitment until 2040.
To safeguard the investments made in SAP Business Warehouse on-prem or private cloud systems SAP recently released SAP BW/4HANA 2021, which ships improvements in many areas.
SAP BW/4HANA 2021 is built on more than 20 years of experience and is SAP’s latest major release following SAP BW/4HANA 2.0.
It is the 7th feature release of the product and is now available for download on the SAP Service Marketplace.
Let’s have a look at the highlights:
Improved Data Tiering Optimization with parallel activation of DSOs leading to faster activation times. Also, optimized handling of mass data to improve write performance to cold data tier.
- Additional partitioning capabilities – second-level hash partitioning to increase read/write performance
- NSE support for warm data in scale-out landscapes (SAP HANA SP06)
- More flexibility with exceptional updates for cold data for
- Standard DSO without change logs
- Data Mart DSO (Cube-like DSO)
Significant reduction of administration effort and reduced risk of errors due to automated workflows in Data Privacy & Protection.
- Automated processing of notifications
- Reduced administration effort in selective deletion of sensitive data
Data Modelling has been further aligned with SAP S/4HANA time dimensions and increased performance due to suppression of determination during runtime.
- Introduction of fiscal time characteristics – automated usage in any transactional process and reporting
- Fiscal quarter
- Fiscal week
- Increased alignment with SAP S/4HANA Finance
- Enhanced master data re-modelling functionality
- Import of currencies/units from source systems from within BW Modelling Tools
Hybrid integration with support of SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, BW bridge
- Connectivity & business content providing proven SAP BW-based data integration (Extractors) from SAP ECC and SAP S/4HANA
- Enterprise-ready staging layers of SAP BW for managing data loading with partitioning, monitoring and error handling
- Tool-supported move of SAP BW-based integration and staging (from Q1.2022)
If you want to read more I recommend you to check out the following assets and engage with SAP or your SAP-partner to chart the journey to the intelligent enterprise:
- SAP BW/4HANA 2021 detailed feature presentation
- Release Information/Restrictions Note for SAP BW/4HANA 2021
- SAP BW/4HANA Community Page
- Documentation on help.sap.com
- Full release walkthrough (will be added as soon as available)
thanks for an overview of BW/4HANA 2021 and for all the details info in links you provided in your blog.
Maybe a bit of side question if you do not mind. I'm wondering if t-code RSMNG was enhanced comparing to what functions it has in BW/4 2.0.
Background of my question: I really like the RSMNG. It more less serves for me as an replacement of RSA1 in pre BW/4 releases. It allows to manage data requests in providers that what's BW administrator needs the most. Most of the things with relation to BW admin stuff is possible to do there. I completely get that BW admin stuff in BW4 is supposed to take place in web - t-code BW4WEB - BW Cocpit. But for some reasons I prefer to do BW admin stuff still in GUI 🙂
The things I miss in the RSMNG are related to DTPs. E.g. If in ALV grid that displays the requests could show as well as description of the DTP. Also the ALV grid could be customizable that user could choose what data is displayed in there.
Hello Fabian Hartje ,
it looks like your first link (https://www.sap.com/documents/2021/11/96f48a6c-047e-0010-bca6-c68f7e60039b.html) no longer points to an actual presentation... all I get is an empty screen with title "What's new with SAP BW/4HANA 2021".
Can you restore your link or make sure the information get's correctly added to the page again, please?
PS when I change my "country" to Belgium (instead of the default "USA") it seems to work just fine?!
Hi Raf Boudewijns,
I have validated the link at it still seems to work - maybe a hickup on your end?
Hello Fabian Hartje ,
it must have been, when checking it now, it works without any issue?! Sorry for the inconvenience.