Zero Downtime Option for SAP S/4HANA is Now Generally Available
In this blog I describe the general availability of Zero Downtime Option for SAP S/4HANA.
Abstract: With SAP S/4HANA 2021 and SUM 2.0 SP 12, the Zero Downtime Option for SAP S/4HANA is generally available. This blog describes the prerequisites to successfully leverage ZDO for SAP S/4HANA.
Initial version (November 17, 2021): Blog published
Minor update (January 20, 2022): Youtube link to SAP TechEd 2021 replay added
Training material update (June 17, 2022): ADM330e and ADM330k have been re-released with updated content
Training material update (April 29, 2023): ADM330e and ADM330k have been replaced by new SAP Learning Journey Leverage SAP S/4HANA Updates and Upgrades with Zero Downtime Option of SUM on SAP Learning
Until now, Zero Downtime Option of Software Update Manager for SAP S/4HANA was only available to pilot customers like described in the SAP Community blog Leveraging Zero Downtime Option of SUM for SAP S/4HANA release upgrades and updates.
We’re pleased to announce that as of November 17, 2021, Zero Downtime Option for SAP S/4HANA is generally available.
Availability and Boundary Conditions
Let’s take a look to the availability in terms of supported products and add-ons and how you can get educated on Zero Downtime Option.
First: the general availability of ZDO for SAP S/4HANA applies to systems running SAP S/4HANA 2020 or higher. There, ZDO can be used to perform major release upgrades as well as feature or support package updates.
Besides SAP S/4HANA 2020 (or higher), also SAP S/4HANA Foundation 2020 (or higher) is supported by ZDO. Please note that the product SAP S/4HANA Foundation is not allowed to be used standalone but only as a foundation in combination with a defined list of add-on product versions. Further details can be found in the release information SAP Notes:
- SAP Note 2912919 – SAP S/4HANA FOUNDATION 2020: Release Information Note
- SAP Note 3015497 – SAP S/4HANA FOUNDATION 2021: Release Information Note
The supported update and upgraded paths to utilize Zero Downtime Option for SAP S/4HANA are described and visualized in SAP Note 2707731 which is the comprehensive entry point to get all relevant information before starting a ZDO project.
Second: SAP S/4HANA supports add-ons from different vendors like SAP or 3rd party:
- Standard add-ons delivered by SAP for SAP S/4HANA
- Add-ons delivered by SAP Innovative Business Solution Organization (former SAP Custom
- Partner add-ons
For details, see SAP Note 2214409 – SAP S/4HANA: Compatible Add-Ons.
However, not all add-ons available for SAP S/4HANA implicitly are equipped with zero-downtime maintenance capability. Hence, Software Update Manager is equipped with an automated check that detects if all products and add-ons installed in the system are supported by ZDO. The full list of add-ons supported by ZDO is attached to the central SAP Note 2707731. If ZDO is not possible because of addon products in the system, potentially a custom-specific project can be started.
Third: Along with the general availability, the SAP Learning Journey Leverage SAP S/4HANA Updates and Upgrades with Zero Downtime Option of SUM on SAP Learning was launched. Both, the e-learning, as well as the assessment are mandatory in order to get started using ZDO. The two new training modules are part of the Learning Journey “Software Lifecycle Management Tools“.
After graduating from the mandatory SAP Learning Journey Leverage SAP S/4HANA Updates and Upgrades with Zero Downtime Option of SUM on SAP Learning, you’ll receive a digital badge from credly.com.
By having the digital badge, you’ll be eligible to request a password which is asked by Software Update Manager after choosing the Scenario Strategy Zero Downtime Option (ZDO):
- Zero Downtime Option (ZDO) does not require an additional license as it comes along with the standard tool for maintenance: Software Update Manager.
- ZDO for SAP S/4HANA reduces the overall business downtime for maintenance events like upgrades and updates.
- From SAP S/4HANA 2020, ZDO is generally available. For details on prerequisites and restrictions, see SAP Note 2707731.
- The SAP Learning Journey Leverage SAP S/4HANA Updates and Upgrades with Zero Downtime Option of SUM on SAP Learning.
For more information, you can refer to the following sources:
- SAP Note 2707731 – Prerequisites and restrictions of Zero Downtime Option of SUM for SAP S/4HANA
- SAP Support Portal page on Zero Downtime Option for SAP S/4HANA
- SAP Community Blog posts
- Replay of SAP TechEd 2021: DT111 – Enjoy a Next-Generation, Zero-Downtime Experience with SAP S/4HANA Upgrades
- Replay of SAP TechEd 2020: DT111 – Discover Zero Downtime Maintenance for Upgrading SAP S/4HANA
- Replay of SAP TechEd 2019: CAA301 – Leveraging Zero-Downtime Maintenance for SAP S/4HANA
- Replay of SAP TechEd 2018: CNA306 – Get Your SAP S/4HANA Ready for Running a Zero-Downtime Update Project
Product Management SAP SE, Software Logistics
The support of jump upgrades is really very important !
Another great news from SAP TechEd 2021 😉
thanks for adding this!
Indeed, jump upgrades are now also supported by ZDO starting from SAP S/4HANA 2020. Details can be found in the visualized upgrade paths attached to SAP Note 2707731.
Do you know if this would becoming available in SAP learning hub under "edition for SAP Enterprise support"? Thanks.
the e-learning as well as the knowledge badge assessment are available in the following SAP Learning Hub editions:
An overview on all available editions in SAP Learning Hub can be found here: https://training.sap.com/learninghub
Will it be possible to order the training without a valid subscription in the Learning Hub like ADM329?
No, the e-learning can only be booked with a subscription but not as standalone course.
Thanks for posting . It's really helpful.
Kindly suggest if ZDO is general available for SAP Business Suite as well ?
Reference SAP Note 2163060 - Prerequisites and restrictions of Zero Downtime Option of SUM for SAP Business Suite
for SAP Business Suite, ZDO is only available on request. That means you need to create a formal registration ticket like described in SAP Note 2163060.