SAP Focused Run – Advanced User Monitoring
System availability has always been an extremely crucial topic in the IT world and system downtimes can be nightmares. But let’s don’t forget about performance. What is the impact of a system that is up and running but doesn’t perform to the highest potential? What are end users (employees or customers) experiencing while using the application? Here are some common questions that can be challenging for a business analyst or IT analyst to answer:
- How often was my application executed during the last hour?
- Which is the most relevant user group for my application?
- How high is the response time of my application currently?
- What was the root cause for performance problems between a certain time period?
So how can those questions be addressed? Real User Monitoring, or RUM, is a monitoring technology to analyze the end user’s experiences how they are interacting with an application. Real User Monitoring analyzes everything from page load events to HTTP requests to frontend application crashes.
This blog post is about how SAP Focused Run – Advanced User Monitoring (AUM) works, what it consists of, how it looks in the system, and what typical question can be answered with the results. Advanced User Monitoring is one of the use cases in SAP Focused Run (check out the SAP Focused Run – Introduction blog post https://blogs.sap.com/2021/11/11/sap-focused-run-introduction/)
What’s Advanced User Monitoring in SAP Focused Run?
SAP Focused Run – Advanced User Monitoring (AUM) allows end users to obtain end-to-end views across systems and technology. Monitor real as well as synthetic end user requests across systems and technology. The Advanced User Monitoring use case in SAP Focused Run exist of 2 applications:
- Real User Monitoring (RUM) provides measurement of different user request types, such as HTTP(S), SAPUI5, RFC and SAPGUI.
- Synthetic User Monitoring (SUM) allows you to monitor user scenarios based on synthetic probes sent from robots, which can be deployed in different customer locations.
Real User Monitoring (RUM) with SAP Focused Run to monitor single user activities:
Enable efficient triage of performance problems based on end-to-end correlation mechanism. Support of following front ends: SAPGUI, WebDynpro, WebGUI and SAPUI5 (running at desktop as well as mobile)
The following questions can be answered by evaluating the Status Overview:
- Which request types are used by you end users?
- How many percent of the end user requests per request type are running longer as expected?
- How many requests of a particular request type are executed?
- Which system handles the highest number of user requests?
The system overview rating by system and request type helps to understand:
- What is the distribution of fast, medium, and slowly end user requests?
- Which system executes end user requests of a particular type with poor performance?
On this level of the Real User Monitoring, it always to analyze a single request:
- What was the exact request flow?
- Which components where involved in the end user request execution?
- What was the time spent by every single sub request executed at a certain component?
- What was the resource consumption used by every single sub request executed at a certain component?
Check out the Real User Monitoring Demo Video
Synthetic User Monitoring in SAP Focused Run to monitor recorded scenarios:
Monitoring of communication from different locations within a IT landscapes based on synthetic probes. Synthetic users are executing scripts on regular basis and automatically. Only in advance scripted user scenarios can be measured.
Simulation of end user activities based on selenium technology as well as HTTP requests e.g. for interface calls. It supports most relevant communication protocols such as HTTP(S), SAPGUI, RFC, and Web Services.
Check out the synthetic user monitoring demo video
Want to learn more about SAP Focused Run Advanced User Monitoring, contact FocusedRun@sap.com and request a free workshop with an expert or check out the public demo system
Advanced User Monitoring in SAP Focused Run is a powerful use case to get transparency and a better understanding of real and synthetic user requests.
Real User Monitoring to monitor every single user activity including resource consumption:
- Enable efficient triage of performance problems based on end-to-end correlation mechanism
- Supports Fiori/SAPUI5, Web Dynpro and HTML GUI (browser running at desktop as well as mobile) as frontends
- Allows to map user requests to organizational information
Monitor synthetic user requests across systems and technology
- Synthetic User Monitoring to monitor recorded user scenarios on regular basis:
- Monitoring of communication from different locations within a IT landscapes based on synthetic probes
- Work Mode integration for scenarios and alerts via the association of SUM scenario to the Systems.
What are YOUR operations/monitoring challenges? Share your comments or leave a feedback in the comment section. If you have any questions, post them in the Q&A: https://answers.sap.com/tags/73555000100800000451
Interested to read more about this topic and learn about the use cases in SAP Focused Run? Follow #SAP Focused Run – there will be more article soon.
Stay up to date with all ALM Products, like SAP Solution Manager, SAP Cloud ALM, SAP Focused Solutions at: https://community.sap.com/topics/application-lifecycle-management