Non Manager/subordinate as active participant in SuccessFactors Compensation process
Overview- In compensation, we have managers as default participants and non-managers can’t actively participate in process. Standard process is meant for managers, administrators, planners, and users with executive review permissions. What If we need to have non-managers/direct subordinates as participants in compensation process which would enable them to see details from the worksheet and approve/reject or even update comments about new proposed compensation? In this blog I will try to explain the two options as a solution.
Requirement– Compensation module worksheet in which you need non-managers or direct subordinates to be active participants for acknowledging and responding to the new compensation proposed by managers/admins.
Required skills– Compensation & EC.
Option1: Using standard/existing process. Involves changing RBP and Compensation worksheet field permissions during the ongoing process.
- In the worksheet, we would need multiple permission groups: Everyone, Managers & IT Compensation Admin.
- Control the visibility of fields on worksheet based on these three permission groups and route map steps.
- Let’s assume after managers completes the plan and updates worksheet for new salary, now we need subordinates in that worksheet to be able to view new salary details as well as provide acknowledgement.
- After managers approval we move to next step in route map and that could be admin/originator approval step.
- After step 4, we change the visibility of fields on worksheet in that period of compensation cycle. Making sure fields to be updated by managers could be updated only by managers but fields to be updated by direct subordinates are available for them to be updated using executive review permissions.
- Give executive review permissions to all the employees/non-managers by updating ESS role in RBP. Make sure target population is self only.
- Admin sends notifications to all the employees asking them to view and acknowledge the new salary by providing comment and by clicking accept or reject on worksheet in executive review.
- After step 6,7 is complete admins remove executive review permissions for ESS role and update RBP and worksheet field permission by roles.
- Since now admins have the approval from subordinates in the worksheet. Admins complete the process and publish it to EC.
Pros: Standard and utilizes existing functionalities and feature of compensation module.
- Not fit for companies where multiple compensation plans are used by various entities like- legal entities, countries, departments etc.
- Very risky as RBP, worksheet permissions and executive review permissions must be managed while process is live & ongoing. One wrong change in RBP can lead to so many issues.
- Too much of coordination and control for admins required.
- Executive review gives access to information that may not even be presented to non-managers/subordinates.
Option 2: Custom MDF object in EC, integration center and reporting is used in tandem to allow subordinates to approve/reject the new proposed salary by Managers without any need of executive review or RBP changes or worksheet roles changes.
(This is the option I implemented for the customer)
What was used– Compensation, Reporting, Custom object and integration center.
- Create an effective dated object with fields for new proposed salary, fields for approval and fields for adding employee comments.
- Create UI for the object and add the UI in home page as a new portlet, visible to everyone.
- Update RBP for new portlet and its fields.
- Create employee comment and employee response as reloadable fields in worksheet and map these fields to the respective fields from this custom object from step1.
- Create a report in EC for the worksheet, read the required fields from the worksheet that should be available in portlet(step 2) for subordinates.
- Schedule the report to send report output as csv on SFTP location.
- Create integration center job with file from step 6 as source and target as custom object from step 1. Update the custom object with values from worksheet for employees to be able to see in portlet from step 2.
- From custom object, create/maintain rules to send notifications to employees about new proposed salary from manager when record gets saved in object or notification to managers/admins when employee accepts or rejects the new salary.
- As soon as employee updates comments in portlet from step 2 , since they are reloadable as such manager is able to see the response and comments in the worksheet and admins are able to review entire process thus completing the entire cycle.
- No RBP changes required while process is ongoing.
- No executive review permissions for all the subordinates.
- Every step change and update is controlled by notifications from custom object thus reducing the need for overview and continuous monitoring from admins.
- No risks involved with jugglery or RBP and executive review.
- Easy for managers to see the history records or reports from EC.
- Less number of route map steps required.
- Involves custom objects and EC skills.
- Every new compensation cycle, blank record for the custom object would need to be uploaded as it is effective dated otherwise comments and response from previous cycle will show up on new launched worksheet.
We implemented option 2 and same was very much liked and endorsed by the customer because of its additional advantages and ease over option 1.
Please try and let me know if you think of any other solutions or even come up with better solutions.