Understanding BW/4HANA – Part 1
This blog series covers my understanding of the SAP BW/4HANA Concepts, and will be a multi-part blog, as I learn, understand and implement it.
BW (Business Warehouse), is an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW)
Below are some of the common terminologies / objects used in SAP BW
- is like a folder used to group logically related objects for a particular business area or process
- Infoarea contains infobject catalogs, Infocubes, infoproviders
- Infoobject is contained in a infoobject catalog, which is contained within an infoarea
- Infoobject catalogs are a collection of infobjects, grouped according to application-specific criteria
- Infoobject catalog are of two types, Characteristic Infoobject Catalog and Keyfigures Infoobject catalog
- Infoobject catalogs are stored in a Infoarea
- One Infoobject can be part of more than one Infoobject catalog
- In BIBW, business evaluation objects are called as Infoobjects
- Infoobjects are of two types, Characteristics and Keyfigures
- Characteristics like Customer, Geography etc.
- Keyfigures like Sales Amount, Revenue, Profit
- Units currency, minute, hour, seconds, kgs
- Time characteristics like fiscal year, month, date and
- Technical characteristics like request number
- Infoobjects are smallest information unit in BI BW
- Infoobjects are the building blocks of the larger dataset
- Info Objects with attributes or texts can be either a pure data target or an Info Provider (if it is being reported).
- Application components are used to organize the data sources
- They are similar to infoareas