SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit Transport concept
Dear SAP Friends,
Welcome to another interesting blog.
In this blog will understand the new concept which SAP has provided in Migration Cockpit with the 2021 release.
As we have already witnessed major changes in 1909/2020 versions on Migration cockpit and Migration Object Modeler,
Till SAP S/4HANA 2020 version we have the options to Import/ Export and also to use in a different client
Now with SAP S/4HANA, 2021 release SAP has bought Transport Concept into Migration Tools.
- Transport Functionality is currently available for Migrate Data Using Staging Tables only for the On-Premises model
2. The transport functionality used in the migration cockpit is designed to transport between systems.
3. The functionality is new with SAP S/4HANA 2021 release for the approach Migrate Data Using Staging Tables.
4. You assign a development package while creating a project (SAP Fiori app). This assignment cannot be changed
later! This assignment controls the modifiability as well as the transportability of a project.
5. You have the possibility to add projects, migration objects, and rules to a transport request in transaction LTMOM.
6. Projects in non-modifiable systems (e.g., quality and production) cannot be created or configured, they can only
Please note, that already uploaded instances in the staging tables are not transported!
Only the definition of a rule, fixed value, translation object or variable is added to a
transport request and transport. No values, for example, mapping values, are included.
You need to maintain the mappings again (e.g., upload/download value mapping)
From the below image we can see Separation between design time and execution time activities.
Allowed activities in DEV and TST/PRD systems
DEV system: design time
(the system is open for
TST/PRD system: execution time
(the system is locked against
|In Fiori App||In Fiori App|
|Create project (assign to development package)||Upload data, prepare mapping, simulate, migrate|
|Edit project (all project settings)||Mapping values: edit, download/upload|
|Add objects to project||Finish project|
|Change object settings (all object settings)||Certain project settings (*)|
|Content update/upgrade||Certain object settings (*)|
|In LTMOM||In LTMOM|
|Change SAP objects, create own objects
(source fields, rules, field mapping,
|Add dedicated objects/rules to transport||Only Display Mode|
Allowed activities in DEV and TST/PRD systems Details
when we want to use Project in Different Client in Migrate Data Using Staging Tables some of the facts to consider are
The transport function for the migration cockpit does not support transports between clients in the same system.
If you want to use a project within a system in another client, e.g. for testing purposes, proceed as follows:
- Logon to the client, where you want to use the project
- Go to the Migration Object Modeler (transaction LTMOM
- If you want to use the same mapping values, please download them beforehand! You can use the download mapping functionality in the Fiori App Migrate Data Migration Cockpit
3. Select your project in the Object Browser
4. Choose Goto ––> Use Project in Different Client
The project will not be copied to the other client, it is moved to the other client and therefore not available anymore in the old client. The functionality Use Project in Different Client is already available for SAP S/4HANA 2020.
Note that all mapping tasks are deleted. This means that you need to download the mapping
tasks before you proceed. You can then upload the mapping tasks to the new client.
During Import considerations
If you want to transfer the same data again to the new client the following important information is relevant:
If the staging tables are located in a remote system, you need to manually reset the
processing status of all migration object instances by clearing field /1LT/PROCESSED or
delete all data from the staging tables and populate them with data again.
If the staging tables are located in the local ABAP schema of the SAP S/4HANA system, you
need to populate the staging tables with data again, as the staging tables are client-specific
Technically the staging tables of local ABAP schema have an additional MANDT field,
compared with remote schema.
System Modifiability (Migrate Data Using Staging Tables)
As of SAP S/4HANA, 2020 configuration is only possible in modifiable environments. This includes project creation, adding a migration object to a project and all configurations in the migration object modeler ( LTMOM)
Projects can only be created with the following settings:
1. Changes must be permitted for objects in the system at the global level, cross-client level, and client-specific level.
2. As of SAP S/4HANA 2021, the assigned development package must itself be assigned to a modifiable software component and
a modifiable namespace.
Export / Import Project (Migrate Data Using Staging Tables)
With SAP S/4HANA 2020 release, you can transfer a project from one system to another in the migration object modeler (transaction LTMOM) using the export/import Project functionality. You
first export a project from a system and save the project as a zip file. You then import the zip file
into the other system. You can also use the report /LTB/MC_PROJ_Q2P instead This does not
apply to projects created with the older version of the Migration Cockpit (transaction LTMC).
With SAP S/4HANA 2021 this functionality is replaced by the new transport functionality. Projects
created in SAP S/4HANA 2020 can still use the export/import functionality in SAP S/4HANA
To know what are those changes you can check in the below blogs:
Please Like, Share and Comment on anything else you want to share or add points.
Thanks & Regards.
SME – S/4HANA Logistics
SAP Ariba P2P