AMC for SAP ASE – Memory Management Functionality
Prepare yourself for SAP TechEd 2021 and start learning today. This is a blog post series about the new and innovative Administration and Management Console (AMC) for the SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise 16.0 (SAP ASE) database. Stay tuned for one new blog post about AMC every week until SAP TechEd starts.
… and don’t forget to register yourself: SAP TechEd Registration
In this blog post we will have a detailed look at the Memory Management functionality in AMC. So, lets navigate to Memory Management functionality, which is located under the configurations menu in navigation bar on the left.
The Memory Management functionality allows the database administrator to monitor memory and to modify SAP ASE server parameters related to memory, but only if allowed.
The starting view shows total logical memory displayed in an interactive donut chart. You can customise your view with filters like
to see the specific type of memory utilisation. Also ‘mouse over’ on any segment of the donut charts is possible. The chart shows additional details of the segment such as Parameter, Parameter Type and Memory Used.
Other visualisation modes:
- View chart in full screen mode to see more details of some smaller sized segments.
- Switch to Table View with a click on any parameter segment.
This is a really good functionality, but AMC is not just a tool to visualise this data. As a database administrator you need to change some parameters from time to time.
In this Table View the database administrator can view the parameter details, search for specific memory parameter and modify the memory parameters.
The table shows parameter name, memory used, default value, config value, run value, its unit along with parameter type. Relevant for your ability to change values are the three different parameter types:
- Dynamic: The value can be changed and the change is reflected immediately.
- Static: Value can be changed, but the new value won’t be reflected until you restart the SAP ASE server.
- Read only: As the name suggests. This value can’t be modified by user.
In the following Learning Journey video you will see this example step by step:
- Search for parameter called ‘number of locks’ in the search box.
- Memory Management table will filter the results and show a matching record.
- View the parameter details by clicking on parameter name link.
- You can modify its value. We use ‘20,000’ in this example and save the input.
- This is a dynamic parameter and it does not need an SAP ASE server restart.
Let’s watch the Learning Journey video:
All infos are also always available in the AMC User Guide in the SAP Help Portal.
The learning journey for AMC will continue next week. Stay tuned and stay safe!