Devtoberfest 2021: Looking Back on Week 2, and Forward to Week 3
Here’s a summary of what went on in week 2 of Devtoberfest 2021, and what to look forward to in week 3.
Week 2 of Devtoberfest 2021 – is the “Best Practices” week – and has been jam packed with so much content from speakers to special events and of course contest related content. I continue to be amazed that before last year there was no such thing as Devtoberfest?!?
This week had a great slate of speakers that included a range of topics and speakers. We started with:
Best Practices for CAP Node.js Apps
Next up was a great speaker/colleague of mine DJ Adams who covered the subject of
Editor Extensions and Standards in the Modern World of Scripting and CLI Tools
DJ Adams (indifferent about blog vs. blog post) 🙂
With all the great YouTube broadcast and Q&A it really shows how much our community is engaged and excited with all of these amazing subjects and speakers. Please be sure to check the speaker subject links and re-watch the sessions if you could not attend live!
This week also included a Best Practices related challenge that was a follow-up to the Editor Extensions and Standards in the Modern World of Scripting and CLI Tools presentation. You can find all the details on this challenge, what to do, and how to do it, over on the Best Practices – Challenge page.
Fun Friday and a Special Event
There are two great things to point out for Friday of Devtoberfest week 2.
- James Governor, analyst and co-founder of RedMonk. James chats live with DJ Adams on Youtube
- Dogtoberfest, that’s right, DOGtoberfest. A celebrations of your furry friends, and other pets as well 😉 Simply post a picture of your pet on social media using #dogtoberfest (and maybe even #devtoberfest as well). If you are competing in the contest you get points for this by completing a tutorial where you will share the link with us to your tagged post to earn points!
What a great week of content, and of course DJ Adams added a ton of tutorials to the contest page where you could earn points for your chance to win prizes while gaining knowledge. More on this below in week 3’s contest details.
Upcoming: Week 3 – Cloud Native
Next week (18 – 22 October) is Devtoberfest week 3. (a week I am organizing!!!)
The theme of this week is Cloud_Native where you can learn so many aspects of developing with microservices and other aspects of non-traditional development landscapes. But in a way, Cloud is becoming the traditional landscape and this week helps to expand upon that.
It’s worth calling out that a nice chunk of the tutorials featured this week are going to highlight a lot of what can be done with Kyma and SAP BTP!
- presentations this week include awesome presenters Jens Keller and Christian Lechner on YouTube in live streams that you can join, watch, and chat with the other attendees
- A series of tutorials for you to complete and earn points related to Kyma and it’s Cloud Native approach
- And for Fun Friday we have a special guest interview with Eric Johnson talking about an Attitude of Iteration, which is sure to be a very fun and exciting end to the week!
- And in addition to the tutorials we have a special Scavenger Hunt as part of the Devtoberfest Contest. A special Scavenger Hunt mission built for Devtoberfest with 20 tutorials across many of the topics featured over the entire 6 weeks. Not only do you earn points for completing each tutorial, you get a bonus 6500 points for Mission Completion!!!
Check out the Cloud Native week in the GitHub repo for all the details.
We’re really looking forward to seeing you next week. Happy Devtoberfest!