Changes to Migration Object Modeler (LTMOM) in 2020
Dear SAP Friends,
Welcome to another interesting blog.
With continuation to the previous blogs
LTMC replaced with Migrate Your Data | SAP Blogs
LTMC replaced with Migrate Your Data (2/2) | SAP Blogs
In this blog will see changes that have been made to Migration Object Modeler,
As discussed in previous blogs from 2020 version changes have been made to Migration cockpit, and now 2 only approaches are there in Migration Cockpit.
- Migrate data using staging tables (file/staging)
- Migrate data directly from the SAP system
With reference to both approaches changes happened to the Migration Object Modeler (LTMOM)
Now let’s see changes for LTMOM in Migrate Data Using Staging Tables
Flexible and extendable
- Copy migration objects
- Adjust standard migration objects (for example add fields)
- Simulate/debug import of data from staging tables
- Create user-defined migration objects
- Use standard APIs or code your function module
- Create or edit translation objects and rules
- New*: Export/import a project from one system to another system
- New*: Use project in a different client
- New*: Reset transfer status
*This does not apply to projects created with LTMC.
Before SAP S/4HANA 2020: You export/import projects using transaction LTMC.
As of SAP S/4HANA 2020 and for projects created with the Fiori App: You export/import projects using transaction LTMOM (migration object modeler).
If the project you are importing does not exist in the system, a new project will be created with the relevant project settings.
If the project you are importing already exists in the system, the existing project settings will be overwritten with the exception of the following:
- Database connection
- Job settings
- Retention period settings
For projects created with the new Fiori App, the following applies:
1. Client Dependency: Projects can only be seen and changed in the client where the project was created.
2. Using a project in a different client: It is possible to use a project in a different client, the project is not copied, but only available in the new client; all mapping tasks are deleted.
3. Non-modifiable systems / productive systems: It is not possible to modify projects in non-modifiable / productive systems. If you need to adjust (for example delete a migration object), you can adjust the project in the development system and export/import it again to the productive system.
New namespace for customer structures and fields introduced with 2020 FPS01
- The name of a source structure must begin with “ZS_”
- This applies to source structures that are added by the user to a migration object which was copied from the template
Source Structure Fields
- The name of a source structure field must begin with “ZZ”
- This applies if the source structure field is added by the user to a migration object which was copied from the template
It is possible to reset the transfer status for a migration object: The report DMC_MC_FM_RESTART_HANDLE resets the transfer status of all selected records in the staging tables or uploaded MS Excel XML files.
Projects created using old app transaction LTMC (Web Dynpro) cannot be converted to the new SAP Fiori app but will be available as read-only from 2105 onward and from 2021 onward for the on-premises products.
Projects created in transaction LTMC:
- Are classified as “old” in the migration object modeler (LTMOM)
- Can still be changed and worked within the migration object modeler in SAP S/4HANA 2020, but can only be used in transaction LTMC
Changes in Migration object modeler for Direct Transfer Approach
1. One harmonized user experience using SAP GUI UI for all approaches
2. Transport: add projects, objects, and rules to transport requests
3. Copy and delete migration objects
4. Selection: skip rule; inherit restrictions within the data model
5. Create source code rules; custom-created mapping rules automatically filled with mappings
6. Debugging capabilities for transformation and simulation (since 1909)
7. Finished projects in display mode only
To know more refer to Migrate Your Data – Migration Cockpit – SAP Help Portal
Please Like, Share and Comment on anything else you want to share or add points.
Thanks & Regards.
SME – S/4HANA Logistics
SAP Ariba P2P
Thank you, Ruthvik. It's a nice way to learn some new features.
Thank you Marissa Ren
Glad you liked the actical
Very nice document ruthvik...
Thank you, Venu 🙂
Hi Ruthvik !
I have S/4 2021 and need to get data from old R/3 system. All the documentation I have read so far all seem to skip the process on how to get the source data to the Staging Tables. So how can I fill the XML Template Files other than manually !? They say via Using SAP or third-party ETL tools. If so how ?
I am under the impression that SAP will provide the ABAP programs to do this - as I read in the TechED presentation on the Migration cockpit (page 27) that "Migration programs are automatically generated – no programming required by the customer".
Take for example a Customer record. As you know there are hundreds of fields per record. Does SAP really offer programs to populate the XML file from a source R/3 system. If so how do I get these Migration programs?