Distribution of Packing Instructions as Packaging Specifications in EWM
The most of the times, it is common requirement to create the packing instructions in the ERP and the packaging specifications in EWM. Since these two activities will have the same functionality, it would be better to have common approach/solution to reduce the effort of creating these packing instructions/packaging specifications. The ERP and EWM systems are always in sync whenever there are changes done to the packing instructions.
Note – This blog was configured and tested on SAP S/4 1909 Embedded.
This functionality doesn’t require any configurations and may require the implementations of the BADIs based on the business requirement. SAP has already implemented few of these BADIs.
- The effort will be less since the packing instructions will be used as a source for packaging specifications.
- Avoid duplications of the activities and the effort.
- No scope for data mismatch between the packing instructions and the packaging specifications.
- Decentralized EWM and Embedded SAP S/4HANA 1909 Onwards.
- Application Component – SCM-BAS-PAK-PS
- Refer the OSS note
Note – Be cautious while importing/activating the BC sets.
BC Sets Import – Transaction Code SCPR3
- Download the attachments (zip files) attached in the OSS note 2485458
- Unzip the relevant BC sets files based on your system. Use ‘S4 BC sets’ for S/4 related BC Set activations
- Run the transaction code SCPR3 and then menu option: BC set –> Upload (Shift + F8) or click on Upload Icon. The system pops up with a dialog box, select the unzipped files one at a time.
- The system displays some message and press ‘Continue’
- After successful Import, the system displays the below pop up message.
- Assign a transport request when the system prompts with a pop up.
- Click on the Consistency Check (Execute) Icon or press Shift+F1 to check the activation status.
- Repeat the above steps for all the 5 files attached in the zip file.
- The system shows all the BC sets in the left side panel as imported.
- Activate the uploaded BC sets
Run the transaction code SE38 and enter the program name ‘SCPR_ACTIVATE_SBCSETS’ and click on Execute button.
- Enter the BC set name imported earlier and click on execute.
- After execution, the system displays activation status.
- Validate the business function LOG_SCM_EWM_INT status
- Run the transaction code SFW5 and search the business function.
- Enable Packaging Specification field in CFM1
- Run the transaction code SE38 and enter the program name RCIFCUST and click on Execute.
- Run the program RCIFIGEN after the first step. After executing both the programs, the packaging specification checkbox appears in CFM1.
- Create a packing instruction – POP1
- Run the transaction code POP1 and enter the packing instruction.
- Save the packing instruction with all the required information.
- Create CIF Integration Model – CFM1
- Create the integration model with the below information and selecting the checkbox for packaging specification.
- Execute the integration model, then the system displays the below screen with the number of packaging specifications.
- Click on Generate IM button to generate the integration model.
- Activate the CIF Integration Model – CFM2
- Run the transaction code CFM2 and enter the below information.
- Click on Execute button to display the below screen.
- Double click on APO application to display the below screen.
- Select the integration model and then click on Active/Inactive. The New Status will be changed to Active.
- Click on Start to trigger the integration model. If there are no errors, the data will be transmitted to the EWM system.
- Verify the packaging specification in EWM system
- Run the transaction code /N/SCWM/PACKSPEC and enter the packing instruction distributed from the ERP system.
- Click on Execute. The system display the below information.
- Click on Display Icon to display the packaging information.
- The distributed packaging specification is inactive status (Mostly a BADI exists for this to activate after the distribution. Need a more analysis).
- After initial transfer, the standard implemented BADI automatically distributes the packing instructions whenever the changes are saved.
- Packing with Packing Instructions
- Detailed Information – Distribution of Packing Instructions as Packaging Specifications
- Technical Information – Distribution of Packing Instructions as Packaging Specifications
- 2779323 – Distribution of ERP Packing Instructions to EWM Packaging Specifications
With this functionality, the packing related information in ERP and EWM is always sync. This will reduce the effort of creating the packaging specifications and packing instructions separately.
If there are any changes done to the packing instructions, the system automatically syncs them with the EWM packaging specifications.
Your suggestions/feedbacks are highly appreciated. There are few more articles on the way. Please follow my profile for the new blog posts related to latest features provided by SAP.
Do you have any further comments related to this topic? Do share them in the comments sections below without any hesitation. You can also ask questions in the SAP EWM Master Data Community Q & A Section
Note – All the images are created by me and free to use/share.
Thanks for your feedback and support for the previous articles.