SAP Mobile Start: Use the Business Info Widget to monitor your business directly from home screen
SAP Mobile Start is the native entry point to SAP universe. It gives you access to a site defined on the SAP Launchpad Service of the SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) and provides a seamless mobile experience by integrating with device features like widgets. In this blog, I would like to describe how to use those widgets and keep track of your business directly from the device home screen!
To make use of widgets you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- Fully configured site in SAP Launchpad Service on BTP
- Enable the feature flag for Widgets in Mobile Services (see Step 0.)
- At least one monitoring tile deployed and working on this site
- iPhone / iPad with SAP Mobile Start app connected to this site
Once these prerequisites are met, you can proceed with the following steps to configure your widget.
0. (Prerequisite) Enable the “GlobalWidgets” feature flag within SAP Mobile Services
To allow or prevent users from adding widgets to their home screen, there is an feature flag within Mobile Services that can be toggled by admins. For example an admin could prevent users from showing critical business information (from Business Info Widgets) directly on their home screen.
By default this flag is disabled. To make use of SAP Mobile Start’s powerful Widget functionality you will need to activate it. For that, access the SAP Mobile Services of your SAP BTP Subaccount.
Navigate to the “Mobile Settings Exchange”, scroll down a bit to the feature flag section and press the toggle switch for the GlobalWidgets. Don’t forget to save your changes.
1. Make sure you have set up a monitoring tile
Open the SAP Mobile Start app on your mobile device and check if you can see at least one monitoring tile on the Application tab. The most common example would be the tile for the My Inbox app, which shows the count of tasks:
It’s currently a restriction of SAP Mobile Start, that monitoring tiles only support the retrieval of numbers with data that returns a simple count. This could lead to issues if your data source returns e.g. an XML-Object instead of a simple count.
See this SAP Note on current SAP Mobile Start restrictions.
2. Add an SAP Mobile Start widget to your home screen
- Long press on an empty space of your home screen and wait for the edit mode to become active.
- You should now see a “+” icon at the top-left. Click on it to get into the widget selection. (Note: on iPad widgets can only be added to the widget section on the very left home screen)
- Search for “Start” and select the right entry to see the different widget options.
(Note: You don’t see Start in the widget selection if no site is registered)
- Currently there are two different widget-types available:
- the Business Info Widget to mimic your monitoring tiles
- and News Widgets available four different sizes
- For our purpose of making dynamic business information available, make sure to select the Business Info Widget and press Add Widget. It should now appear on your home screen.
Note that the tile shown in the selection is just a sample, you will be able to configure it with your own business app in the following step.
3. Configure Widget with your Business App
After you successfully added the Business Info Widget to your home screen, longpress the widget to see options for editing.
Select “Edit Widget” and select the Business App of your choice. (e.g. My Inbox). Here you will see a list of all monitoring tiles that are defined on the SAP Launchpad site.
4. Make use of your widgets
Now you can use the widget to monitor your monitoring tiles from your home screen. You can directly navigate to the respective business app within SAP Mobile Start by tapping on the widget. It’s also possible to add multiple widgets to monitor many tiles at once.
Thanks for reading this blog!
I hope you can use SAP Mobile Start widgets for easily monitoring your business and for quickly accessing your favorite apps. Which monitoring tile would you foresee getting used the most?
We look forward to your comments.
Stay up to date with latest news and post your questions or feedback about SAP Mobile Start in the Q&A area. Start by visiting your SAP Mobile Experience community page and click “follow”. We’ll be publishing more informative blog posts.
Want to be notified? Check your profile settings to ensure you have your settings activated.