Sustainability with SAP Internet of Things and SAP Environment, Health, and Safety Management (SAP EHS Management)
Co-authored by Asha Pillai
Sustainability is not a buzzword anymore; it needs to be an imperative part of everything we do. The transition to being a sustainable organization has passed an inflection point. The physical risk from climate change is significant in many regions, harming people, damaging assets, and interrupting business activity, and that the risk will continue to increase until the world achieves net-zero emissions. The only way to stop physical hazards from increasing is to halt the emissions of greenhouse gases that cause climate change.
Over half of global GDP is now generated in countries that have net-zero mandates. Industries have long been held responsible for the majority of the damage done to the environment. There is already a lot of work going on reversing the damage but by all indicators, we are set to miss the target by a huge margin unless we work on a war footing.
Given the advent of technology today, can the industries script a turnaround story on sustainability and help their counties become a truly net-zero economy?
Industry 4.0 revolution has conferred an immense opportunity of rapid digitization and automation into our hands. It is time to utilize this opportunity to comprehend the bigger agenda i.e.; to achieve net-zero carbon emissions.
What is Industrial IoT(IIoT)?
The Industrial Internet of Things(IIoT) refers to the use of connected machines, devices, and sensors in industrial applications. When run by a modern ERP with AI and machine learning capabilities, the data generated by IIoT devices can be analyzed and leveraged to improve efficiency, productivity, visibility, and more. IIoT networks typically support machine-to-machine (M2M) communication, and, as well as transmitting data, IIoT-integrated devices also regularly receive automation programming from the central system.
The following Proof of Concept aims to integrate technologies like SAP IoT, SAP Analytics Cloud, and SAP EHS Management to show how SAP can assist an organization to best utilize the technology in their journey to be a Sustainable Organization.
Here we take an example of the production of Automobile Gasoline and to produce it we consume raw material Ethanol. Ethanol is one of the top contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. Hence, it is very important to track the emission of ethanol at various touchpoints in the entire supply chain. Following are the three possible touchpoints :
- Warehouse Operations for Raw material ethanol which is usually stored in large storage tanks
- Internal Logistics Movements of ethanol with the help of tanker Lorries.
- Production Area of Gasoline where Ethanol is getting consumed
Physical IoT devices placed at all three touchpoints will be sending data to SAP IoT continuously.
Enriched data from SAP IoT will be forwarded to SAP EHS Management system for detailed analysis and to perform necessary business functions. Using the near real-time data from IoT sensors will help the Environment Managers to take the right decisions at right time thereby enabling the automatic data collection of emission data. SAP IoT data is seamlessly integrated with SAP Analytics Cloud for data analytics.
Let’s look into the above-mentioned aspects in detail :
SAP IoT is a collection of tools and applications built on SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP) that can be used to create an administrative environment for managing and monitoring sensor data generated by technical objects that are part of the Internet of Things (IoT). In addition to the API services, SAP IoT offers several apps that are built upon the services and help you step inside the world of the Internet of Things.
Further Links : https://www.sap.com/india/products/iot-data-services.html
SAP EHS Management
SAP Environment, Health and Safety Management (SAP EHS Management) helps identify, analyze, and mitigate environmental, health, and safety risks within your organization. This includes managing materials such as chemicals to reduce the environmental impact and improve the industrial hygiene of your company.
Further Links : https://www.sap.com/india/products/ehs-management-health-safety.html
SAP Analytics Cloud
The SAP Analytics Cloud solution combines BI, augmented and predictive analytics, and planning capabilities into one cloud environment. As the analytics layer of SAP’s Business Technology Platform, it supports advanced analytics enterprise-wide.
Further Links : https://www.sap.com/india/products/cloud-analytics.html | Introduction to SAP Analytics Cloud
- SAP IoT service is enabled and the basic configuration is done. Refer : Get Your Hands on SAP IoT Software and Hardware|Enable SAP IoT services for SAP BTP for Cloud Foundry| Create User and Tenant.
- Communication arrangement in SAP EHS Management system is then created, this is needed to establish a connection between SAP IoT and SAP EHS Management. Refer : Setting up Communication Management in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- Follow the scope item 4XD(Emissions Management), This scope item helps to manage compliance with emissions-related environmental regulations. The processes enables us to create and incorporate a strategy to manage environmental data from data collections, samplings, calculations, and aggregations of emissions into the daily operations of the company. In order to realize the above mentioned example, we had set up the following :
- Three locations namely Plant 1010, Plant 1020 and Truck STR120
- Set up compliance requirement
- Set up external sources for each locations [ Refer : Data Collection Set Up]
- API Used to send data to SAP EHS Management: (/EHSAmountExternalSource) from SAP EHS Management [Service Name: EHSAMOUNTEXTERNALSRCE] .This service enables us to read available External Source IDs and send amounts to the system. It can be used to let external systems import automatically collected environmental data to your system. Refer: API documentation .
- Create a destination in SAP Business Technology Platform. This destination will be used to send data from SAP IoT service to SAP EHS Management system. The SAP EHS Management API endpoint requires XSRF token, so ensure that the parameters “iot.fetchXcsrf” is set to TRUE and “sap.iot.XcsrfURL” is set to the value of the URL, which returns the CSRF token. This is often the same URL as the actual URL of the endpoint. Refer: How to create destination in SAP Cloud Platform Cockpit and types we support in SAP Leonardo IoT Action| Create a Destination in the SAP BTP Cockpit
Configurations to be done in SAP IoT System
1. Create a package, thing modeler and property. Create thing type and create a thing (one for each location). Let’s take the example of “warehouse” thing. To know how this is done, refer to Create a Thing Model and Bind to Device
2. In Things property catalog, create property sets.
4. Create a streaming rule to trigger an event in case there is a threshold breach is detected. Refer to : Rules and Actions
5. Create an event that sends the emission data to the SAP EHS Management system when the rule is activated. For sending this data, choose the Action Type as “Service Integration” and choose the destination created earlier.
6. The request body will contain the External source(“EHSAmountExternalSource”)and the Carbon emission(“EHSAmountValue” )value in addition to the other parameters.
When the above action is triggered, the “EHSAmountValue” which corresponds to the carbon emission value captured in sap IoT is sent to the SAP EHS Management Cloud system.
In SAP EHS Management System
1. Log in to the SAP S/4HANA Cloud EHS Management system with the user/role “Environment Manager” and open the Fiori app “Monitor Data”.
2. You can see that in the SAP EHS Management system, the app “Data Issues” shows the alert about the data issues corresponding to the threshold breach recorded by SAP IoT.
3. Go to the app “Monitor Data” , select the corresponding Warehouse location.
4. Click on the location name, it will open a dashboard showing all the data sent from the SAP IoT service.
SAP Analytics Cloud Integration
The detailed steps on how to integrate SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP IOT can be found here .
Below is a summary of steps w.r.t our current story.
1. Configure a Data Model in SAP IoT.
2. Activate the data model.
3. Login to SAP Analytics Cloud tenant and establish SAP HANA Live Connectivity.
4. Configure SAP Analytics Cloud model. The data source for the model should be the data model created in SAP IoT.
5. Using this model we create a “story” in SAP Analytics Cloud tenant. We Add measures and calculations as required.
In this blog post, we tried to illustrate how easily the sustainability parameters can be captured and its automated data collection is made possible with the help of SAP IoT and SAP EHS Management. Existing SAP EHS Management customers can leverage the power of SAP IoT to enhance the data quality for their regulatory compliance, certification, and branding. The automation here with SAP IoT will improve the efficiency, scalability, and reliability of the managed environmental relevant data. Seamless integration between SAP IoT and SAP Analytics Cloud helps to visualize the collected data to make quick decisions.
Device connectivity API –https://help.sap.com/viewer/3a6d7e0a3904450cae8f842948a6ea67/2102a/en-US/97b88f38fa03454a98116a30a32e640e.html
Further Links to know more on SAP IoT:
Integration of SAP IoT and SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Scope Item 4IH in the SAP Best Practices Explorer (Delivery Insights).
Integration of SAP IoT and SAP Analytics Cloud: Described on the Developers.sap.com (direct link) homepage.
Integration of SAP IoT and SAP Field Service Management: Described on Github
In order to watch the SAP IoT business scenario, please click on the following links:
- Scenario 1:SAP IoT enabled Field Service Management
- Scenario 2:SAP IoT enabled Replenishment
- Scenario 3:SAP IoT enabled Delivery Insights
Further Links to know more on SAP S/4HANA Cloud:
- Early Release Webinar Series here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info here
- Latest SAP S/4HANA Cloud Release Blogs here and previous release highlights here
- Blog post series for Hybrid Cloud here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- Microlearnings for SAP S/4HANA here
- Product videos on our SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA YouTube playlist
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud User Community: register here
Overview about SAP EHS Management solutions
If you check this link: SAP Environment, Health, and Safety Management (SAP EHS Management) – SAP Help Portal Page
Nicely presented and informative to start with SAP IoT. Good work Siju & Asha.