User Experience Insights
SAP HANA Platform: Monitoring & Analysis
The described aims to enlighten the audience about the Real-time Monitoring capabilities exposed by the SAP HANA Platform. System Administrators maintain the integrity and consistency of the SAP HANA platform by performing regular system monitoring which helps with identifying system behavioral patterns. A combination of monitoring tools and checks provides a detailed technical overall system health check and helps with identifying and forecast requirements against possible Data & Hardware bottlenecks.
Daily Monitoring Tasks
An adequate System monitoring exercise involves continuous monitoring of the following but not limited to these environmental components:
- Database Information: Provides the admin with General Platform information e.g., DB version, OS version, SAP HANA upgrade history along with all the installed SAP HANA plugins.
Figure 1: Database Information
- Database Instances: Consolidated Health checks concerning the status, availability, performance, capacity and alert counts of all resources within the SAP HANA landscape.
Figure 2: Database Instances
- Performance Monitor: A visual analyses of the historical performance data across a range of key performance indicators related to memory, disk and CPU usage.
Figure 3: Performance Monitor
- Table usage: The memory consumption of column tables is monitored to identify tables sizes and table operation for administrators to improve and fine tune performance and reduce memory utilization.
Figure 4: Table Usage
- Sessions: Identify all active sessions of both users and applications within the system landscape.
Figure 5: Sessions
- Threads: Monitor the longest running threads active in your system.
Figure 6: Threads
- SQL Statement: Monitor and analyze statements overview, active statements and expensive statements.
Figure 7: SQL Statement
For monitoring purposes and troubleshooting complex anomalies outside the scope of standard functions, SAP provide SAP HANA Mini checks, which are a collection of useful SQL statements /SQL Scripts addressing but not limited to the below environmental components:
- Security: SQL: “HANA_Security_MiniChecks” (SAP Note 1969700, 2159014)
- Database trace message: SQL “HANA_TraceFiles_MiniChecks” (SAP Note 1969700, 2380176)
- Thread call stack: SQL: “HANA_Threads_Callstacks_MiniChecks” (SAP Notes 1969700, 2313619)
- ABAP: SQL: “HANA_ABAP_MiniChecks” (SAP Note 1969700)
The below report is executed from the SAP HANA Database Explorer:
Figure 1: Ad Hoc connection statistics report
Figure 1.1:Connection statistics report exported to MS Excel for reporting purposes.
Thank you all for taking a glimpse into the above Content. Please don’t for get to like, comment and share.