Are you leveraging Post Upgrade Testing (PUT) in SAP S/4HANA Cloud (Public)?
This blog post highlights what is Post Upgrade Test (PUT) and what are its pre-requisite.
The purpose of this blog is also to raise awareness among our customers and partners on leveraging the PUT service which SAP offers for Live customers.
Post Upgrade Tests are smoke tests that are performed in Q-systems of live customers to verify basic standard features by picking latest data from Q-systems after SAP S/4HANA Cloud upgrade. The test automates are created and executed by SAP, they use master data that is automatically picked from the customer Q- system, and are not covering end-to-end processes.
If the PUT service is enabled – requirements for which I’ll explain below – then SAP executes these smoke tests based on the active scope you have on your behalf as a means of helping you identify as early as possible where there may be regression issues to resolve.
Please note that, Post Upgrade Test is an optional service by SAP that might be stopped at any time.
How can Live customers request for the Post Upgrade Service?
Customers can give their consent by following the below steps if they want to leverage the PUT service.
1.Go to Post-upgrade Tests tab (under test your processes app).
2.Click on ‘Consent for Post upgrade test’ icon.
3.And then click on confirm if you want SAP owned tests to be executed after the upgrade.
4. After consent, if you want to withdraw from SAP owned tests then again click on ‘Consent for Post upgrade test’ icon and click Withdraw
What are the prerequisites for PUT?
Following prerequisites must be fulfilled in order to enable SAP to run the PUT service-
- Consent needs to be provided.
- Set up Test Automation user which should have the following roles: SAP_BR_ADMIN_TEST_AUTOMATION, SAP_BR_ADMINISTRATOR and BPC_EXPERT
- The user used for set up should have all application specific roles.
- Master data / transactional data should be present in the customer Q-system.
- All these activities to be completed 2 weeks before the upgrade.
Please ensure your these prerequisites are completed before 24/07/2021, so your system is enabled for PUT before the 2108 upgrade!
How to setup the Test Automation User in the Test Automation Tool?
- Open the Test Your Process Application.
- Click on User setting.
- Click on maintain roles.
- Click on Add to create a user details or click on change if “DEFAULT” user already maintained.
- Fill in the user details and save->Enter “DEFAULT” in role field.
>Add a description to the role e.g. test user
>Search a valid user from the drop down.
>Enter the Q system password of that user
>Save the entries.
- First entry in the manage user should have a “DEFAULT” role.
- Here the word default does not mean you need to create a role called Default in role and authorizations.
- If the Q system password of test user entered is not correct or expired or the user is not an active user in the Q-system, then the test executions will not progress in the customer Q-systems. The password field is free text hence system does not show if the password is wrongly entered.
How can you check if your Test User setup is working?
- Open the Test Your Process Application.
- Click on the add button
- Add a test plan name.
- Select any/desired test process.
- Save the Test plan.
- Click on Execute and select Execute with Variants.
- Select Default Variant.
- Click on Execute.
Below steps refer how to create a test plan-
Below steps illustrates how to execute the test plan with the default variant-
Once the test plan is submitted the progress will start showing in a minute or two.
Incase if it takes a longer time and the execution is stuck at InProgress 0% , please update test user or check the password of the test user in the manage user section and execute the automate again.
For information on the scope of PUT automates, please refer the accelerator Post Upgrade Test Scope.xlsx (SAP Customer) in the Roadmap Viewer.
So, hope this clarifies your doubts regarding the how to leverage the Post Upgrade Test service and check if the necessary pre-requisites exists.
Hope this help!
Topic Expert, Expertise Services Team
Great blog Sonam Saxena ... just in time with CE2108 round the corner. Live Customers can really leverage the PUT and get the most benefits out of it. Just recently our customers had a positive feedback on the results of the PUT provided by SAP and majorly saves time and efforts from the customer side to continue seamless operational success.
Thank you Saumitra Deshmukh , yes, the live customers can really leverage the PUT testing after the upgrades and can have a sense that the smoke test/basic functionality is working fine.
Great Blog Sonam Saxena !!.
Thanks a lot Srikanth Sista !
Hi Sonam Saxena
Is PUT a free of charge service included in S/4HANA Cloud subscription?
Yes, its a free service only for the Live customers on SAP S/4HANA Cloud subscription.
Once the customer has gone Live they can give their consent using the Test Your Process app and then the SAP team will get in touch with the Customer for further actions and details.
Thank you for your reply Sonam.