How To Do DTO in BW/4HANA Step by step
This document provides the details of DTO implementation in BW4/HANA NLS-IQ 16.x
Data Tiering Optimization(DTO) helps SAP BW/4HANA customers to classify the data stored in the DataStore object (advanced) as hot, warm or cold, depending on the cost and performance requirements for the data.
Depending on this classification and how the data is used, the data is stored in different storage areas.
The following options are available:
- Standard Tier (HOT): The data is stored in SAP HANA Memory. Frequent access of data. No restrictions (Read/Write)
- Extension Tier (WARM): The data is stored in an SAP HANA extension node or Disk. Infrequent access. No restrictions (Read/Write)
- External Tier (COLD): The data is stored externally in separate DB. Sporadic access of data.
BW4HANA offers new feature called Data Tiering Optimization (DTO), it helps to classify the data storage of an Advanced Objects as HOT, WARM, COLD depending on the requirement. Traditional approach of Data Archiving Process is still available (DAP).
Data Tiering Optimization(DTO) :
DTO: applicable for Standard ADSO where Time characteristics is part of Key Definition.
Lets look at step by step approach how to apply DTO in BW/4HANA NLS solution.
In the General Tab of ADSO, under Data Tiering Properties, you can choose to whether store your data in the standard layer (hot), extension layer (warm) or the external layer (cold). Based on the configuration, select Cold Tier option and connection ‘SAPIQDB’
To store data in the external layer, partitions must be defined.
DTO would allow to move the data across the temperatures using TCODE: RSOADSODTO or using the highlighted “Maintain Temperatures” option in above screenshot.
Open the TCODE: RSOADSODTO :
- Selection screen:
- Click on Display, it would show all the ADSOs and Partition details.
- To change the temperature of any partition,In the Edit mode -> select the rows -> Click on Temperature button to set the target temperature. Or Select the “Planned Temperature” from the drop down menu.
- Then Click on Save, it would change the DTO status column as shown below. Click on “Show Worklist” to see the list of changed rows.
- Click on Execute
- Select option ‘Repair and Adjust’ and Execute. Repair would help to fix the issues if previous run was ended with failures or was canceled abruptly.
So from above step by step demonstration we have now understood how to apply DTO in NLS solution in BW4/HANA.
first the BASIS-Teams has to install/setup/configure the DTO-target SAPIQDB.
after that, it is easy to set some DTO for ADSO 😉
Thanks for your feedback. Basis has to install/configure BW/4HANA also. After that creating artifacts become easy.
see the Blog - Q – the easy Installer for SAP IQ for the Setup of IQ
Best Regards Roland