Conversion of SAP S/4HANA Finance to SAP S/4HANA
It has been already more than 6 years since we have been talking about “ACDOCA’’. The Universal Journal concept was initially part of an add on to ECC – called Simple Finance or S/4HANA Finance (the last official name) and sometimes referred to SFIN in conversational language. S/4HANA Finance was the steppingstone for what will become the Finance solution in S/4HANA.
S/4HANA Finance 1503 and 1605 are different products when compared to the current releases of S/4HANA. The Finance innovations included in these releases are deployed via an add on and the Finance migration activities are similar to the system conversion Finance activities used today. From a content point of view, S/4HANA Finance is similar with Finance in S/4HANA – but with some differences – ex.: activation of the Material Ledger or Business Partner/CVI is not mandatory in S/4HANA Finance.
As times has passed by, now there are more and more customers who are already running the S/4HANA Finance add on and they are moving to S/4HANA. If you are in that category, this blog is for you! So, what do you need to do in such cases?
I will address this question from Finance point of view, based on my experiences so far.
- As in a regular conversion project, start with analyzing the Simplification Items (SI) checks specific to the Finance area. They will point out what is relevant for your specific system.
Depending on which components you are currently using, the SI checks can indicate additional migrations which have to be realized either before conversion – like Revenue Accounting and Reporting (RAR) or after/during conversion – like Golden Tax Interface for China (GTI). Please see note 2733866 for RAR and note 2771861 for GTI. These activities are relevant also for a conversion project from ”classic” ECC.
For more information on Simplification Checks execution, here is quite a helpful blog: S/4HANA Simplification Item Check – How to do it right. | SAP Blogs.
- You do not have to execute the programs provided for inconsistency checks in ECC in the area of General Ledger and Asset Accountings – SAP notes 2755360 and 2896400 are not relevant when migrating from S/4HANA Finance. S/4HANA Finance already contains the table ACDOCA and the new structure of General Ledger and Asset Accounting – hence, there is no data migration to do in this area.
- If you are not using already Material Ledger (ML) in ECC you will have to activate it in S/4HANA as this is the only solution for inventory valuation. You can consider executing report FAGL_MM_RECON to document your inventory posted data and compare it with the values after conversion. This program is easy to use, as it will read the vales from Material Management tables if ML is not active and from ML tables if ML is active.
- For Asset Accounting upgrade in the context of S/4HANA the situation described in note 2918366 (Correction for duplicate entries) – might occur during SUM execution.
As validation reports, please consider the following examples:
S_ALR_87011996 Asset History Sheet
S_ALR_87011990 ASSET HISTORY SHEET
RAGITT_ALV01 Asset History Sheet
S_ALR_87011994 ASSET BALANCES
RABEST_ALV01 Asset Balances
- Depending on the countries you have in scope in your current system, you might have to implement ACR (Advance Compliance Reporting) to replace certain obsolete statutory reports.
A list of obsolete reports for each S/4HANA release is specified in note 2480067.
It is advisable to consider allocating significant time to implement and test any new reports and solutions (such as ACR). If possible, involve experienced Fiori specialists to optimize the user experience.
- From Finance migration point of view, start with checking the main note on this topic and execute only the migration activities mentioned in there and specific to your target release- note 2450377.
- It is not required to execute the regeneration of the CDS views.
- The default number of jobs for each migration step is 10. Unless you have high data volume, you can go ahead with this default value. Otherwise, it is recommended to change the number jobs used for each migration step to minimize runtime and optimize performance.
Post Finance migration potential activities:
- Depending on your current system set up, certain aspects related to a ‘’regular’’ upgrade might show up as well- see below.
During an upgrade it might happen that transactions set up for ‘’current settings’’ in your own instance (in order not to require transport request for maintenance in Production clients ex.: transaction code OKB9) are reset back to standard. You can check value CURSETTING in table OBJH, identify which transactions are set up in which way. After conversion, you can validate the same settings and adjust where needed – there are certain tables which come with this feature by default and some which are customer – specific.
- Check your variants. There are few reports which in S/4HANA are by default generated via ECS (Error Correction System): FAGL_CL_REGROUP, FAGL_FCV. If you would like initially to still use batch input, this option must be specified in the selection screen. Therefore, the variants used for these programs will have to be adjusted.
- In S/4HANA Finance releases, there was a system error where secondary cost elements could be processed in Profit Center allocation – transaction FAGLGA35. This is corrected in S/4HANA, but in case you have certain cycles set up and using this ‘’feature’’ they will have to be adjusted. Note 2340667 is the one including the same correction in S/4HANA Finance.
- Consider adjusting your document types to allow posting on ‘’secondary cost elements’’.
To ‘’prevent’’ posting on secondary cost elements, this setting must be inactive and the message FINS_ACDOCA_POST051 must be set up as ‘’error’’ in transaction OBA5.
In case the option is not active in the document type settings, the message is defaulted as ‘’warning’’ so your transactions will not be affected. This will mostly be the case after your conversion unless you do the above-mentioned changes.
Is there anything else you encountered in your experience with similar projects?
Let me know!
Brought to you by the S/4HANA RIG
The conversion to FSCM-CR will also be required I guess
Yes, indeed. Thank you for mentioning it. There will probably be more components which will be required in S/4HANA. They will come up during SI checks and mentioned in note 2450377. This blog does not intend to illustrate all the differences between S/4HANA Finance and S/4HANA, but rather to explain the approach and what to consider.
Thanks for the informative blog.
You mentioned 'activation of the Material Ledger or Business Partner/CVI is not mandatory in S/4HANA Finance'. Does this mean If we are implementing S/4 HANA Finance Add on, there is no need to activate BP/CVI intergration?. Kindly clarify.
BP is mandatory only in S/4HANA- not in S/4HANA Finance add on.