User Experience Insights
3 Tools to Measure User Experience Data for Enterprise Applications
User experience (UX) data allows anyone involved with product creation – designers, developers, product owners, CIOs, CDOs, and everyone in between – to get clear qualitative and quantitative insights into how users feel and how the product is performing based on evidence rather than gut feeling.
In my previous post, I presented 4 reasons why companies need to start measuring user experience. Now, it’s time to look at the how and explore some of the tools and frameworks that can be used in the SAP environment for measuring experience data and calculating the ROI of UX. This blog post covers two tools from our SAP Partner ecosystem, and explains how SAP is currently using UX data to continuously improve on the user experience.
Tools to measure UX at your company
UX Score by sovanta
Overview: UX Score by SAP Gold Partner sovanta AG provides quantitative user experience data and generates automated best practices with SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) recommendations based on the results to improve your business applications.
How it works: UX Score is a stand-alone application that is SAP-certified. It allows companies to discover their business applications UX Maturity by covering usability, design, and technical aspects of user experience, such as range and utility of use.
- See results within a comprehensive, pre-defined dashboards that turn collected data into insights and generate recommendations.
- Benchmark against your entire suite of applications as well as industry competitors while ensuring data protection and privacy.
- Examine whether your business applications are improving (or not) over time. Ensure that your work is moving your business applications in the right direction through the eyes of the users.
- Receive best practices and SAP BTP recommendations to channel your limited resources in the right direction to maximize the impact for the users.
Where to find it: UX Score in the SAP Store
Fiori app analyzer from Mindset
Overview: The Fiori App Analyzer by SAP Partner Mindset Consulting tracks SAP Fiori usage in the SAP S/4HANA environment. It allows employees/end users to give real feedback on the SAP Fiori applications they use. By rating the apps and giving feedback, administrators can easily see which applications are already performing and which applications have UX opportunities. This allows the team to spend UX investments in the right place at the right time.
How it works: Available via the SAP Store, this extension works with SAP S/4HANA, SAP Extension Suite and/or SAP Integration Suite. This toolset uses easy-to-understand graphics to depict how many users are actually using your deployed SAP Fiori applications at a given time.
- Provides real-time analytics including how many users are logged in, browsers used, device types, average application loading time, recent errors, and usage by application
- Users can rate the applications they commonly work with and leave comments up to 128 characters long.
Where to find it: Fiori App Analyzer in the SAP Store
How user experience data is measured at SAP
Overview: The mission and value of Product Experience Management (PX) is to help evolve SAP products, from their creation, through their development lifecycle – to ensure that they meet user needs and expectations. Feedback capabilities are directly embedded into the product, allowing a user to provide instant feedback anonymously and at will.
PX was first released as part of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud 1911 shipment and is available on all further releases as a default in SAP Fiori applications. After starting with SAP S/4HANA Cloud, it is now also available for parts of SAP Ariba, SAP Concur and SAP SuccessFactors. More SAP cloud products will integrate PX later this year.
How it works: With the current implementation, users can anonymously trigger the feedback function via a dedicated feedback icon in the shell bar of the SAP Fiori launchpad or from within an app home screen. A short survey window pops up containing two standard UX questions and a free text field. Data is visualized in a dashboard, available per product. Collecting this data helps the SAP product teams to better understand the needs and requirements of the end users and continuously improve on the user experience.
- Embedded into the SAP Fiori launchpad and into SAP Fiori applications of a growing number of SAP cloud products
- User feedback can be retrieved unfiltered directly from an SAP product, in-context and in real-time
The right tools for securing stakeholder buy-in
User experience metrics and frameworks can be used to strategically communicate with the business and get the buy-in necessary to continue investing in user-focused improvements. Having access to the right UX metrics tools is essential for creating a business case for a successful user experience strategy.
To learn more about the SAP Fiori user experience, please visit the community topic page.
Want to stay up to date on information and skills relevant to you as a UX lead? Make sure to also bookmark the UX transformation toolkit tag or follow the UX blog tag to catch all the stories in the series.