|The SAP Mentor Spotlight Interview Series highlights key strategic topics, such as UI5, learning, and other topics, and provides insights from Mentors and SAP leaders on turning ideas into innovative approaches that impact people, process, and technology. This blog post is the second in a two-part series. View Part 2.|
SAPUI5 – Connecting Innovation (Part 1)
SAPUI5 evolution is an on-going process. Connecting to innovation is the key to success. Today’s developers should go beyond designing enterprise software, with an eye towards how organizations operate and how people work.
To remain agile and respond to rapid changes in market conditions, every enterprise needs the ability to build apps quickly. The capacity to scale in a cost-effective way requires a new way of thinking about app development.
SAP Fiori elements offer development teams a way to create intuitive apps with a consistent user experience by leveraging a proven framework that relies on metadata, rather than traditional coding methods, to generate the user interface.
Recently a group of experts from SAP and the SAP Mentors got together to discuss SAPUI5, and technologies including:
- Peter Muessig, Chief Development Architect UI5, SAP
- Stefan Beck, Chief Product Owner UI5 and Fiori Tech, SAP
- Alisdair Templeton, Independent Developer, SAP Mentor
- Ethan Jewett, Manager of DevOps Solutions and Sr. SAP Architect, Mindset Consulting, LLC, SAP Mentor
- Wouter Lemaire, SAP Solution Architect and Developer, SAP Mentor
During this video session they discussed:
- Web Components – Why UI elements should be both individually usable and with other layers. How data models, and all model parts are tightly coupled into the framework. When future controls developed as Web Components are retrofitted into UI5.
- SAPUI5 Framework for SAP Fiori – What new visual design and appearances are ready for both the current and next-generation workforce? Where organizations use the UI5 framework for SAP Fiori, then they can create applications using other frameworks, and enabling users to get their job done easily and with a delightful experience.
- Upskilling and Adoption – How developers can leverage the SAPUI5 Software Developer Kit (SDK) to develop new approaches and technologies? The importance of a collaborative effort with SAPUI5 professionals to enable modern developers to build state of the art web applications.
As Peter said during this session, “I want to show that everything is connecting together, and it feels like a really holistic picture.” There is a strong focus to bring new innovations and new capabilities from idea into great applications as quickly as the market demands.
SAP and the SAP Community provide many SAPUI5 resources to support upskilling and adoption.
A few questions to you all:
- How do you address UI5 in your organisation?
- What are your current challenges and future trends that you would like to see discussed in further sessions?
It would be great to hear what you think in the comments below!
- SAP Community Topic Pages
- SAP UI5 Training
- UI5 Web Components
- Developing Web Apps with SAPUI5
Blog Post – Latest Developments in (and around) UI5, Peter Muessig