This blog is a part of Master blog Tools to Analyze Fiori Launchpad Issues, where we looked at different tools available to analyze the issues in Fiori Launchpad and Launchpad Designer.
In this blog, we will see how the Message logging is handled for Fiori Launchpad and Designer, how to display and analyze those messages.
All the messages which occur in the Fiori Launchpad and Launchpad Designer are recorded into to UI services application log under object /UI2/BE and in the SAP Gateway message container. The message container gathers all messages raised and retrieved by applications during the processing of a request. It is defined by the interface /IWFND/IF_MESSAGE_CONTAINER or /IWBEP/IF_MESSAGE_CONTAINER.
The log messages can be displayed via different ways:
- Display logs in the Browser
- Display logs in Front-end Server (Hub Scenario) or Embedded server
Display logs in the Browser
Follow the below steps to display the logs in browser:
- Open the Fiori Launchpad
- Open the developer tools. There are few ways to do that
- Press F12 ( in Chrome, Firefox, Explorer)
- Right click on the Launchpad screen and click on Inspect
- Press CTRL+ SHIFT+ I
- Press CTRL+ SHIFT+ I
- The resulting screen will show the developer tool in the right Window as show below. The Error logs will be visible under the Console tab.
- Click on Network tab to check all the Network call on an action. I clicked on an App and it shown all the network calls made by the app.
- Check the Batch calls and double to see the details. Under header tab, we can see the service , request URI details , request status etc. The Response tab , will show the response data or the error in case of any issue during service call.
Display logs in Front-end Server (Hub Scenario) or Embedded server
Here we can display:
- Logs for SAP NetWeaver User Interface Services
- SAP Gateway Logs
Logs for SAP NetWeaver User Interface Services
OData services, REST services write important information to the UI2 log. These logs can be displayed using transaction /UI2/LOG. This is just an easy to use variant of Application Log (SLG1) with lesser selection fields (SLG1 can also be used).
- Execute transaction /UI2/LOG. Initial Screen is as shown below, with Option to filter logs based on Object, Sub-object, Date, User, Transaction, Program. Log messages for User Interface services are logged under Object /UI2/BE.
- The Output scree will have all the messages logged with option to see error details or Download all Log messages
Note: The UI2 log does not always return the required results for the SAP Fiori launchpad use case because there might be other errors occurring before the UI2 log can be written (for example, errors occurring because the user does not have the required authorization to call a service or because the service is inactive). In this case, check logs in the SAP NetWeaver Gateway
SAP Gateway Logs
As mentioned earlier, the errors occurred in Launchpad or designer are also logged in Gateway message container and can be checked using following ways:
- Application Log (SLG1): The SAP Gateway runtime message logs can be viewed under Object /IWBEP/ and Sub-Object RUNTIM
- GW Backend Error Log (transaction /IWBEP/ERROR_LOG):
- Execute transaction /IWBEP/ERROR_LOG
- Input the filter parameters in the next screen as shown below
- The output screen will display the error logs
- SAP Gateway Error Log (transaction /IWFND/ERROR_LOG): In case Gateway is not installed in the back-end system, the logs can be checked here. The process is exactly same as in the back-end system shown above.
So, now we know the tools to check the Fiori Launchpad and Launchpad designer Logs and take corrective actions as needed.
Keep Learning & Keep Sharing!