Data Migration _ Transport Accepted Error Messages_ Source System – Part One
During a S/4HANA conversion project, copies of the production system (called “sandbox” copies) are created to allow the project team to identify and correct the inevitable errors that are typically encountered during the financial data migration process. After a thorough analysis some of these errors may be determined to be unimportant or insignificant. These errors may be bypassed by accepting them in the Migration Monitor Error Log. By accepting these errors, the Migration Monitor will skip over all accepted errors and complete the migration process. Note: by accepting errors you run the risk of migrating inconsistent data, therefore acceptance of errors should only be made with a fully understanding of its impact.
The typical migration project involves multiple sandbox copies. Available in late 2020, we have in the IMG the functionality that allows you to record previously accepted errors in the Data Migration> Migration Monitor (FINS_MIG_STATUS ) in a transport request. This transport may then be used to preload acceptance of these errors in future sandbox copies, eliminating redundant nonvalue-added activities and allowing the project team to focus only potential delta errors.
In part one of this blog, we will be discussing the activities required in the Source System to generate the transport. Part two of this blog will focus on the activities required to import the transport into the Target System.
How to do it?
- Source System
1.1 Start and Monitor Data Migration (FINS_MIG_STATUS), in this example note that step R21 has encountered an error.
- 2 Double click on the R21 row to display the Migration Status Log
- 3 Highlight the row with the errors and display the error log. Highlight the error entry and select Accept Error.
- 4 Confirm the Acceptance Flag (green check mark) has been set in the Error Log
- 5 In a separate tab, use transaction SE01 to create a Customizing request which will be used to collect the error acceptances.
- 6 Return to the IMG and execute Data Migration>Transport Accepted Error Messages (FINS_MIG_MSG_TRA). Select and include the accepted error(s) in the transport request.
- 7 Enter the transport number created in step 1.5
- 8 Enter the Migration Monitor Step Id to capture all accepted errors for that step.
- 9 Execute to save the settings into the transport
- 10 Check and Release the transport.
- 11 Releasing the transport takes a snapshot of the current configuration for the control table FINS_ACCEPT_TRA .
In conclusion, you have the option to create a transport to record accepted errors identified while executing the Migration Monitor. In part two, we will explore how you can reduce additional effort during the processing of a new Sandbox iteration by importing the transport and pre-accepting the same errors in the new system.
Hopefully this blog post was helpful!
Please add in the comment section any other topics you think are valuable to have included in this blog post.
– Brought to you by the S/4HANA RIG
thank you for the informative material.
it is very helpful for me ,looking forward to the part-two.