If you haven’t heard already, the performance tool, SQL Analyzer, moved out of the SAP HANA Database Explorer and into the SAP Business Application Studio to be closer to where you do your development work.
What is this feature, and why do I need it?
The SQL Analyzer allows you to visualize and analyze statement execution plans to identify potential bottlenecks and optimizations. You use the SQL Analyzer when you want to evaluate the performance of your queries as you tweak and improve them.
You can find the full list of SQL Analyzer features and their descriptions here.
How do I access it?
As an SAP HANA Cloud user, you access the SQL Analyzer via your subscription to the SAP Business Application Studio.
To subscribe to the SAP Business Application Studio:
- Log in to your SAP Business Technology Platform account.
- Navigate to the Subaccount where your SAP HANA Cloud instance is running.
- In the navigation pane on the left side, click Subscriptions.
- Search for SAP Business Application Studio, and then click Subscribe.
- Select the Go to Application link at the bottom of the tile to open the SAP Business Application Studio.
Once subscribed, you enable the SQL Analyzer in SAP Business Application using the steps found here.
If you also use SAP HANA Platform (on-premise), you access the SQL Analyzer via the Microsoft Visual Studio Code extension: SQL analyzer tool for SAP HANA.
At various points in time, the usage, feature set, and behaviors may differ between the cloud and on-premise versions of the SQL Analyzer.
Where can I find out more information?
The three blogs at the top of this list provide the best, most up-to-date information on getting and using the SQL Analyzer. The videos and workshop materials may feature slightly older versions of the tool, including in its previous home (SAP HANA Database Explorer).
- Blog: SQL Analyzer now available in Business Application Studio Part 1
- Blog: SQL Analyzer now available in Business Application Studio Part 2
- Blog: Modeling in SAP HANA Cloud (part 4): SQL Analyzer
- Documentation: The SAP HANA Native Application Dev Space
- Documentation: SQL Analyzer Extension (for on-premise use)
- Blog: Spotlight: SAP HANA Cloud development in SAP Business Application Studio
- YouTube: SAP HANA Cloud Innovations: SQL Analyzer
- YouTube: SAP Developer News: SAP Business Application Studio new features, SAP HANA SQL Analyzer, CAP & Tasks
- Video: (start at time ~42.55) SAP HANA Cloud Workshops: Extending SAP HANA On-Premise to SAP HANA Cloud
- PDF: (start at slide 13) SAP HANA Cloud Workshops: Extending SAP HANA On-Premise to SAP HANA Cloud