One of the most requested features, the multilevel BOM is available as of SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2105 release. The feature is available as an SAP Fiori app with the title “Manage Multilevel Bill of Material.”
Figure 1: Manage Multilevel Bill of Material app on SAP Fiori Launchpad
Key Features of the App
Let’s talk about what can you do as a BOM Engineer with this app:
- Like the Maintain Bill of Material app, you can search for the BOMs available using various search criteria and filters.
- Once you have searched for your relevant multilevel BOM, you can navigate to display the BOM details. Here is where you’re able to view the BOM header details with BOM item details. The app displays the BOM item details in a hierarchical tree structure.
- Earlier you had to navigate to different screens or apps if you want to view the alternatives or change numbers or subassemblies. In the BOM details screen, you can:
- View the multilevel BOM
- Expand the subassemblies at various levels. Figure 2: Hierarchical view of multilevel BOM item details.
- View different alternative BOMs for the subassemblies.
- Search for components in the hierarchical view.
- View the associated engineering change numbers in the Timeline section as shown in the screenshot. Figure 3: Timeline section showcasing engineering change number
- You can edit multiple subassemblies directly in the app itself without being navigated to other apps or screens. Now you can edit the subassemblies or BOM items in two ways:
- Edit with change number: When you choose this option, it renders the BOM in edit mode and you can go ahead and make your changes with the change number. Whatever the changes you make to the BOM items, the change number is immediately reflected in the relevant table row.
- Edit without the change number: When you choose this option, it renders the BOM in edit mode and you can go ahead and make your changes.
- A list of BOM attributes is provided in the Settings. You can add the relevant attributes required to your view. You can save your views or use the standard view.
- You can delete single or several subassemblies at a time in draft status.
- You can add single or multiple BOM items to any subassemblies.
- You can create BOM alternatives, unlike the single-level BOM maintenance, you can view the subassemblies of BOM even in the draft status.
With the app in the current release, you can perform the basic CRUD operations on the multilevel BOM. In the coming releases, new features will be added to enrich the app with some more capabilities and better performance.
To see how the app works, please check out this YouTube video:
You can access the SAP Help Portal documentation here.