Multilevel Bill of Material (BOM)
One of the most requested features, the multilevel BOM is available as of SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2105 release. The feature is available as an SAP Fiori app with the title “Manage Multilevel Bill of Material.”
Figure 1: Manage Multilevel Bill of Material app on SAP Fiori Launchpad
Key Features of the App
Let’s talk about what can you do as a BOM Engineer with this app:
- Like the Maintain Bill of Material app, you can search for the BOMs available using various search criteria and filters.
- Once you have searched for your relevant multilevel BOM, you can navigate to display the BOM details. Here is where you’re able to view the BOM header details with BOM item details. The app displays the BOM item details in a hierarchical tree structure.
- Earlier you had to navigate to different screens or apps if you want to view the alternatives or change numbers or subassemblies. In the BOM details screen, you can:
- View the multilevel BOM
- Expand the subassemblies at various levels. Figure 2: Hierarchical view of multilevel BOM item details.
- View different alternative BOMs for the subassemblies.
- Search for components in the hierarchical view.
- View the associated engineering change numbers in the Timeline section as shown in the screenshot. Figure 3: Timeline section showcasing engineering change number
- You can edit multiple subassemblies directly in the app itself without being navigated to other apps or screens. Now you can edit the subassemblies or BOM items in two ways:
- Edit with change number: When you choose this option, it renders the BOM in edit mode and you can go ahead and make your changes with the change number. Whatever the changes you make to the BOM items, the change number is immediately reflected in the relevant table row.
- Edit without the change number: When you choose this option, it renders the BOM in edit mode and you can go ahead and make your changes.
- A list of BOM attributes is provided in the Settings. You can add the relevant attributes required to your view. You can save your views or use the standard view.
- You can delete single or several subassemblies at a time in draft status.
- You can add single or multiple BOM items to any subassemblies.
- You can create BOM alternatives, unlike the single-level BOM maintenance, you can view the subassemblies of BOM even in the draft status.
With the app in the current release, you can perform the basic CRUD operations on the multilevel BOM. In the coming releases, new features will be added to enrich the app with some more capabilities and better performance.
To see how the app works, please check out this YouTube video:
You can access the SAP Help Portal documentation here.
Where would a user compare a selection of multilevel BOMs and what does it look like?
Thanks for comment. Comparison of BOMs is in pipeline.
Thank you for the response.
Please could you answer the following:
a) What date is planned for the first release of the BOM Compare?
Is the Compare function planned to cover any of the following:
b) Will the Compare tool cover Multilevel BOMs including any assemblies and sub assemblies?
c) Will the Compare tool be able to compare the same BOM but using different validity dates to find the differences?
d) Will the Compare tool be able to compare a redlined (single-level) BOM with the current BOM?
Compare BOM is tentatively planned for Q4 2021.
Yes it will compare multi level BOMs, BOMs on any date.
Redlining comparison is in concept phase now and will be part of future releases.
Has the Compare BOM feature been released as planned? Any documents or links would be appreciated.
Thanks for the comment. Compare Bills of Material feature has been released. You can find more information here,
Is this app available in SAP S/4HANA 2021 on-premise?
The Compare BOM app will be available from SAP S/4HANA on-premise 2022 release onwards.
In the App library, I did not see this app available for the On-premise release.
What is the scheduled release date for S/4HANA on-premises 2022?
Fiori apps library
The Release to Customers date for SAP S/4HANA on-premise is 2022/10/12. It should be available from then onwards.