When you’re running the Pipeline in SAP Commissions, one of the options is Reset Data. Selecting this radio button returns four choices: Reset All Data from Classify and Forward, Reset All Data from Allocate and Forward, Reset All Data from Reward and Forward, and Reset All Data from Payment and Forward. In this article we’ll cover what each option means, and when to use them.
It’s worth mentioning that this article assumes you have an idea of what each stage of the Calculation does. Here is an article that contains a brief summary of each.
First, a bit of an overview of what we mean by reset, and what each of these has in common.
What is a Reset and why is it important?
Resetting data in the Commissions database is a normal part of the calculation process. This is because in almost all cases, a calculation is run multiple times during a compensation period. Each time, the data from the previous run is reset to make room for the newly calculated data. You don’t have to specify a data reset during a normal calculation run, as the reset process is part of the calculation.
The Reset Data radio button lets you reset the data without actually running the calculation. There are a few reasons this may happen. It’s very useful when testing, if you want to clear out the current results so they don’t interfere with a new test. It’s also very helpful if something went wrong with your calculation: perhaps incorrect input data returned an incorrect result. You may want to reset the data so you can clear the incorrect results quickly before re-running the calculation.
Types of Resets
The calculation doesn’t reset all the data at once. Instead, each stage of the calculation has its own reset process, which resets the data from the last time that process was run. The four types of resets line up with the four stages of the Compensate and Pay sequence:
- Reset from Classify
- Reset from Allocate
- Reset from Reward
- Reset from Payment
Before we go over each of these, here are a few things they all have in common:
- Each runs in the context of the specified Period and Processing Unit, like any other Pipeline process
- Each can be run on its own. If you run the corresponding Stage, the reset will run automatically.
- Each resets the data for its corresponding Stage.
- Each may work differently in Full Mode, Incremental Mode, or Per-Position Mode.
Details on each Reset
Reset from Classify
This process resets Classification data for the Period. This means any classified Transactions will no longer be classified once the reset is complete.
- Can be run separately, or called from the Classify stage
- Calls ResetFromAllocate, ResetFromReward, and ResetFromPayment.
- When Running In Full Mode
- Resets classification records associated with all transactions effective during the specified period and for the specified Processing Unit
- When Running In Incremental Mode
- Resets classification records associated with only runnable transactions effective during the specified period and for the specified Processing Unit
- When Running In Per-Position Mode
- Does not reset any classification data
Reset from Allocate
This process resets the data created during the Allocate stage, which includes Direct and Indirect Credits, associated objects such as Credit Trace records and Commissions, and Primary Measurements.
- Can be run separately, or called from the Allocate stage
- Called by Reset From Classify
- Calls Reset From Reward and Reset From Payment
- When Running In Full mode
- Marks all Transactions in the specified Period as runnable
- Deletes Direct and Indirect Credits for the Period
- Credits from previous Periods that are held and set to release in the current Period are not deleted
- Sets all Primary Measurements to a value of zero, but does not delete them.
- When Running in Incremental mode
- Processes transactions that are already marked as runnable.
- Deletes credits and associated objects associated with the runnable transactions
- If the “Run All Transactions on Order” preference is selected and an order includes at least one of the runnable transactions, Reset From Allocate deletes any credits associated with the order.
- Primary Measurements are reset in the same manner as full mode.
- Credits from previous Periods that are held and set to release in the current Period are not deleted.
- When Running in Per-Position mode:
- Marks all transactions for the specified period and Processing Unit as runnable.
- Marks only the selected Positions as runnable.
- Deletes the following:
- Direct Credits associated with the specified Positions
- Rolled/Indirect Credits associated with the specified Positions or the Credits listed for deletion.
- Credits and trace objects related to credits listed for deletion.
- Resets Primary Measurements to zero for the specified Positions, but does not delete them.
Reset from Reward (Reset all Data from Deposit and Forward)
This process resets the data created during the Reward stage, which includes Secondary Measurements, Incentives, and Deposits.
Note that Incentives are not deleted during the Reset process, but have their values set to zero.
- Can be run separately or called from the Reward stage
- Called by Reset From Classify and Reset From Allocate
- When Running in Full or Incremental mode:
- Sets the value of Secondary Measurements for the current Period to zero, but does not delete them.
- Sets the value of Incentives for the current Period to zero, but does not delete them.
- Deletes Commissions effective for the current Period.
- Deletes Deposits effective for the current Period.
- Deletes trace and other related objects for Measurements, Incentives, and Deposits.
- When Running in Per-Position Mode
- Marks the specified Positions as runnable.
- Resets Measurements and Incentives, to zero but does not delete them.
- Deletes deposits for the specified Positions in the specified Period and Processing Unit.
- Deletes tracing objects related to the reset measurements and incentives, and the deleted deposits.
- Deletes commissions related to deleted credits or runnable positions
Reset from Pay (Reset all Data from Payment and Forward)
This process resets results of the Pay stage for the current Period and Processing Unit. However, Payments and Balances that have been Posted are not reset.
- Can be run separately or called from the Pay stage.
- Called by Reset From Classify, Reset From Allocate and Reset From Reward.
- When Running In Full Mode
- Deletes Applied Deposits, Payments, and Balance records that are in trial status.
- Deletes related trace data and payment summary data.
- When Running in Per-Position Mode
- Same as in full mode, but only resets data for specified Positions.
Tips, tricks and best practices
- If you want to reset data for multiple periods, reset the data for the most recent period first, then work your way backward.