My experience with Fiori Elements: Custom App Development & Standard App Extensibility(Part2)
Custom Fiori Elements Architecting & Development Overview
This is the second blog of my blog series for the my experience with Fiori Elements: Custom App Development & Standard App Extensibility.
In this blog, I would like to mention few of the important points for “Custom Fiori Elements Architecting & Development Overview” based on my experience:
- Development Standards, Guidelines, Best practices should be set for the UX Development.
- Fiori Elements are most preferable, if not then smart controls with free style is preferable over complete free style development
- Design consistency, development efficiency is great with Fiori Elements.
- Backend Developers are encouraged to upskill and fully utilize the power of Fiori elements.
Highlighting Fiori Elements/ Smart Controls Features utilized:
- Decoupled Backend & UI Logic
- Utilized CDS with annotation
- Complete End to End Transactional apps with Fiori Elements having Multiple Facets with Active and Draft Persistence.
- Complete End to End Analytical Apps using Fiori Elements Overview Page(OVP) Dashboard, Analytical List Page(ALP)
- UI Extensibility is achieved with Fiori Elements extension i.e., Custom approval actions.
- Custom Smart Tree controls with Flexible Column layout (FCL).
- Custom Smart Tree controls with Flexible Column layout (FCL). Complex Hierarchical Business logic implemented via CDS-AMDP table functions.
- Validations/exception handling, change documents are managed at Backend/ BOPF Layer.
- Navigation from Fiori Elements (List Report) to Free style applications.
Fiori Elements: Key Lesson Learned from my experience
- Almost 60-80% requirements can be managed with Fiori Elements / Smart control
- Backend CDS Data Modelling is most critical and important.
- Maximum utilization of SAP Standard CDS/ Standard Value helps CDS’s provided.
- Upskilling Backend developers with S/4HANA i.e. CDS annotations etc. .
- Strong QA review process / Standards / Guidelines for UX Development.
- Keep exploring latest SAP Standard Fiori Elements based application .
In the next blog, I will cover various approaches used for the Fiori Elements / Smart control applications and also i will try to give a perspective for the modelling done at UI and Backend Layer.