Enhancement to HRIS Sync in 1H 2021 Release
In the 1H 2021 release, you can now run a full HRIS sync for selected employees using the HRIS Sync job within Provisioning.
With this new option in the HRIS Sync job configuration, you can now synchronize all data from the beginning of the employee’s lifecycle at the company and select which employee’s you would like to sync the data for. In previous releases, the only way to fix HRIS Sync related issues for specific employees was to run a full sync against all users which can be both time consuming and impact performance of the environment. Now this can be done for specific employees.
The HRIS Sync job will need to be configured within Provisioning, so please reach out to your implementation partner or SAP Support for assistance with the configuration of this job.
Note: Customers that need assistance from SAP Support with the configuration of this job, please review KBA 3044382 for detailed instructions.
Once this job is configured, the customer will only need to maintain a CSV file to identify which users to include in the daily full HRIS Sync job.
1.) To begin, prepare a CSV file with the User IDs that you will want to include in the HRIS Sync job. The following example contains six employees that the HRIS Sync job will pull from during step 5:
- The CSV file should contain only a single column with the header ‘USER_ID’ as shown above. The job will fail if the header is not contained in the file.
- Once the HRIS Sync job runs and completes successfully, the CSV file will clear all data except for the header.
2.) Go to Provisioning to setup the HRIS Sync Job. Navigate to Manage Scheduled Jobs > Create New Job > Select job type ‘HRIS Sync’. Provide a name for the Job and select a Job owner.
3.) Under Job Parameters, select the third option, which is new as of the 1H 2021 release, to “Synchronize specific users (FTP is required)”. This option will allow the job to pull the CSV file from the designated FTP location and synchronize those users identified within the file:
4.) Fill in the FTP information, such as the Host Address, FTP Login and FTP Password:
5.) Next, add the designated File Path and File Name:
Please Note: PGP File Encryption is not supported with the HRIS Sync Job, please keep this setting set to ‘None’.
6.) The Job Occurrence can be set to ‘Once’ or ‘Recurring’, we suggest to set this up as a recurring daily job where a customer can add users as needed to the CSV file in order to complete the user based full HRIS sync at the scheduled time. Notifications can also be setup during this step to go out to administrators monitoring this job:
7.) Once the HRIS Sync job is scheduled, you will need to ‘Submit’ the job within Manage Scheduled Jobs, and this will complete the configuration of the User ID based HRIS Sync job.
This job will automatically pull the User IDs from the FTP file that is configured in the HRIS Sync job and run the full sync for those users at the job runtime. Once the job is complete, the FTP file will be cleared automatically, and the administrator is free to include additional users when necessary.
Please Note: The job will run again as scheduled regardless if the CSV file has data, an empty file will send a ‘successful notification’.
Important points to consider with this feature
- The job will automatically sync all data from date 01/01/1900 – a specific date is not selectable in the job configuration
- The job will synchronize all User IDs for the person. For example, if the user has multiple employments (active or inactive), the job will also complete a full sync for the other User IDs (or employments) that exist for that employee. This may result in the total number of IDs from the file to be larger than expected when reviewing the details of the job:
- There is a limit of 1000 User IDs that can be included within the FTP file. If the file has more than 1000 records, the job will fail with an error code of “Error occurred. Please, see error details”. When checking the details of the failure, an error will be shown, “Will not process the sync. Found 1001 IDs which is greater than the limit of 1000”
- The HRIS Sync job will fail when using the option “Synchronize specific users (FTP is required)” if any of the following information is missing when setting up the job:
- If the FTP file cannot be found at runtime of the HRIS Sync job, the job status will show as ‘Skipped’ with an error code, “FTP/SFTP file cannot be found.” The job details will also show an error “No file from FTP server matched this file name pattern:<file-name>”.
- If the CSV file is completely empty, including the header, then the job status will show as ‘Skipped’ with an error code, “Data file is empty”
- If the CSV file has a header but no userID, the job will be successfully executed and the status will show as ‘Completed’
- An email notification will be sent with the status of the completed job as well as provide details if there are any failures with the job and include any User IDs which are not processed.
- Customers can monitor the status of the job from within the Admin Center > Scheduled Job Manager
View HRIS Sync Mappings in Business Configuration UI
In addition to the feature documented above, you can also now view a consolidated list of HRIS Sync Mappings within Manage Business Configuration (BCUI). A new page, HRIS Sync Mappings has been added below HRIS Actions with BCUI, as shown in the example below:
This will allow customers to review all HRIS Sync Mappings on a single screen. Further enhancements to this page will be added in future releases.
- What’s New Handbook: User ID-Based HRIS Sync
- What’s New Handbook: View HRIS Sync Mappings in Business Configuration UI
- Handbook: Implementing Employee Central Core – Configuring an HRIS Sync Job
- KBA: 3044382 – User Based HRIS Sync